Any BITOGers own a Toyota Venza?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What say the brain-trust? We looked at a certified '14 Venza v6 AWD limited the other day and were pretty impressed overall, I wanted to get opinions from those who've owned one? The only thing I didn't like was the panoramic roof (I hate sunroofs too as a rule, but most everything has them now), has anyone here had any first-hand experience with the Venza and/or their pano roofs?

Just looking for general opinions/experiences as well.

Thanks

I have not owned one but everything I’ve heard about them is positive. They are a very practical vehicle. The V6 is reliable as Toyota engine usually are.

A good friend of mine has an 09, has 133k trouble free miles on it. I’ve ridden in it on multiple occasions. Only issue I have with it is that I honestly see no difference between it and my old rav4. Interior volume inside seems the same for a cheaper price with the rav4.

My wife has a 2012 V6 AWD Venza and we both think it is the best car we have ever had. My wife wants a new one but as you know they no longer make them. We have 95,000 miles on ours and have had no issues at all with it. The V6 has plenty of power the car has great handleing and the AWD works fantastic in the snow esp if you run snow tires. One thing We both like is the car holds the road like glue and is really stable at speed. We also feel real safe driving it. I often ask people who own one how they like it and I have yet to hear negative comments on the car.

Although the PRESS never seemed to to be fond of the VENZA as compared to its competition(whatever it's competition is), everyone, and I mean EVERYONE whom I have spoken to about their VENZA, loves it! I have had a similar vehicle(LEXUS RX) and liked it. Consumer Reports gives the VENZA a high marks for reliability even though they didn't score it high.

Most members of the PRESS don't know exactly where to categorize the VENZA. Is it an SUV or a Wagon? The VENZA slots between the RAV4 & Highlander...Does it even matter? I mean, really!
smirk.gif

Last edited:
IMO the Venza has been the best kept secret in the car business for the last few years. The Venza is essentially the same vehicle under the skin as the Lexus RX (and only slightly less expensive than the RX when new). Like the RX, they ride and drive great and they are quiet, comfortable, and nearly bullet-proof. Toyota never sold many of them because they never promoted them. Many people don't even know what they are. All the people I know that own them, love them.

I think they are a very nice vehicle. They are comfortable, quiet and the interior is beautiful. The 2.7L 4 cyl may not provide enough power for some due to the fact that the vehicle weights ~ 4,000 lbs. I like then. Ed

I probably would have bought a Venza if they had come out a few years earlier, ended up with a RAV6 and that was probably the better choice for me in the end. Was looking for a wagon after a generally good experience with a '96 Outback (excepting the fact that it was sorely lacking in power), but I prefer the little SUVs now. I definitely liked the looks of the Venza a lot!
The 3.5l Toyota V6 is legendary, but I will warn that I had issues with the AWD in my RAV just after the warranty period ended and the local Toyota indy shop told me that system was well known for the expensive repair that I ended up shelling out for. The operation of the AWD was also fairly primitive compared to the Subies I had before and after. You're probably looking at a different system in a different model from several years later, but FWIW.

We have had our 2009 V6 AWD Pano since new, about 55,000 miles on it now. Had some suspension work done (rear struts), rear hub carrier, and 2 wheel speed sensors, all just after warranty. Probably our terrible roads beating it up. Nothing else to report which is a good thing.

The knocks against them that I found was, mileage for its size, road noise(it has huge low profile tires) and no factory roof racks. No reviews really complement its handling either but I would think its better than the RAV4 or Highlander.
I think for family duty there's better vehicles, but I see alot of retired people with them and it makes sense for them.

I drove a Venza 2.0 turbo diesel a few times and was very impressed with it, nice comfortable car with a great little diesel. No noticeable lag, smooth and quiet and good performance. No idea if they sell it in the US.
The diesel or gas L4 if offered would be the engine I would choose.

No Toyota experience, but I have two vehicles with panoramic sunroofs and absolutely love them. No issues. I've had 6 other vehicles with regular sunroofs and have never had an issue.

I've been told the VVT-i oil line has been know to burst as there was a recall for this. along with a cheap interior.

My sister and BIL have a basic model with the 4cyl and FWD. I think it's a 2009-10. I don't think it's had a single issue and looks new yet.

I have one, 09 base level 4cyl front wheel drive. It is a pleasure to drive. They were way too expensive new, find a clean one used (since they were discontinued that's all you will find) and the price is right.

Good room inside, great ride height, nice vehicle. Lots of little features that were standard on the base model that were add ons to a camry. I wound up putting a new head unit with nav in mine for the wife with a back up camera. FYI, pay someone to install that for you. I'm halfway tempted to find a later model so we would have one for several years to come.

I bought a 2013 XLE V6 AWD with only 8,900 miles on it 14 months ago for the wife and she loves it. We've put about 15k miles on it since with no issues. It's her DD but we use it to haul the dogs and grandkids around and I drive when we're together.

It's comfortable, although being fairly tall, I wish the steering wheel was able to adjust further back and I'm not overly impressed with the Entune entertainment system. Not great mileage at around 20 mpg mostly city but we knew that going in, although I hear the 2GR-FE 3.5l V6 is very reliable. Another downside to me is no transmission dipstick and not looking forward to replacing the 20" tires when the time comes. I've read mixed reviews in snow but it runs just fine to me here in Denver's weather conditions and I'm confident every time I take it out. I've had no problems getting it going in our hilly areas and stopping is good as well. I assume she's still on the factory Michelins.

I think the Venza production died because Toyota had the Highlander and Rav4 that were doing great with the Venza cought in the middle. Overall we're happy with the choice we made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back