Countries with weapons from U.S. and Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some current events had me thinking which countries have weapons from United States and from Russia? Did a quick Google search and briefly scanned Janes.com but didn't really find anything. I always thought this was a big no-no but now I see Turkey has the F-35 and has recently received some Russian missiles. Are there other countries that have both? Just curious and it would be nice if the thread stayed open long enough so I could get some info. Not political, just curious.

In before the lock.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Silk
I pressume we just buy on price - do you have price comparisons on these things ?

Most other countries do the same. The US and Russia are just arms merchants, countries will just buy whoever has the best deal. The two that come to mind are Pakistan and Egypt.

Israel, though the Soviet stuff was probably all captured. They make some of their own copies, eg Kalashknockoff fitted with a bottle opener. Iraq rather obviously, and probably a lot of other regimes co-opted into the WAT.

Er..does the Iran-Contras thing count?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_Air_Force

Quote:
The Indonesian Air Force has 37,850 personnel and equipped with 110 combat aircraft. The inventory includes SU-27 and SU-30 as the main fighters (from Russia) supplemented by F-16 Fighting Falcons (from the USA).[2] The Indonesian Air Force will purchase 11 Sukhoi SU-35[3] and around 50 KF-X [4] as a replacement for the already-aging US Northrop F-5 Tiger light fighters in its inventory.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_Air_Force

Quote:
The Indonesian Air Force has 37,850 personnel and equipped with 110 combat aircraft. The inventory includes SU-27 and SU-30 as the main fighters (from Russia) supplemented by F-16 Fighting Falcons (from the USA).[2] The Indonesian Air Force will purchase 11 Sukhoi SU-35[3] and around 50 KF-X [4] as a replacement for the already-aging US Northrop F-5 Tiger light fighters in its inventory.

Looks like Russia enjoying another embargo …

East Germany bought some MiG-29s just before the Berlin Wall fell, so there is now a German MiG-29 squadron. They make it available for other NATO pilots to train against.

Off the top of my head:
Germany
Turkey
India
Pakistan
Egypt
Jordan
Iraq
Iran
Indonesia
Singapore

Don't forget the English, French, Germans, or Swedish. English, French and German weapons are sold world-wide, Swedish as well, though to a smaller extent. Many excellent ships, airplanes, small arms, missile systems and communications systems come from manufacturers besides the US and Russia.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silk
I pressume we just buy on price - do you have price comparisons on these things ?

It's never that simple. Price is one component of purchase decisions for weapons. Performance specifications, life-cycle cost, political incentives, economic incentives, and perhaps a few things that I've not considered, all factor into the purchase decision...not just cost...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Our stuff is the best (generally) Those chat can afford our stuff buy ours. If allowed

Then the bad guys overrun those that we sold weapons to and now use our own weapons to shoot as us overseas.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Off the top of my head:
Germany
Turkey
India
Pakistan
Egypt
Jordan
Iraq
Iran
Indonesia
Singapore

Don't forget the English, French, Germans, or Swedish. English, French and German weapons are sold world-wide, Swedish as well, though to a smaller extent. Many excellent ships, airplanes, small arms, missile systems and communications systems come from manufacturers besides the US and Russia.

While in a S Korea shipyard … they had subs under construction for Indonesia …

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
East Germany bought some MiG-29s just before the Berlin Wall fell, so there is now a German MiG-29 squadron. They make it available for other NATO pilots to train against.

I’m pretty sure they got rid of those quite a while ago. Now it’s all aging Tornados and mostly Typhoons as far as I know. They had an article last summer stating that their tornados didn’t even have full night attack capability due to cockpit lighting issues . Further they didn’t even have enough ammunition on hand to allow ground troops full machine gun training.
whistle.gif

I am over there a lot near Munich and used to see military jets in the air training a lot. In the last 10 years I might have seen no more than a couple in all those years. Of course we have all but gone away from there as well.

Eastern block NATO countries that have old Soviet inventory and newer American arms. But they have been slowly selling the Soviet stuff to Al Qaeda and other islamist extremists in Syria (a billion or so dollars worth a year of Saudi and Qatari funds).

Egypt and a few Gulf countries have both Soviet/Russian and American/NATO arms. The same for Pakistan, India, etc.

It depends which ones have the best value at the time of purchase.

Originally Posted By: thooks
I'm confused.

Does the United States Government manufacture jet fighter planes?

??? they contract with Boeing, McDonnell Douglas, etc.

Conceptually, when you determine the product specs, fund R&D, manufacturing, be the sole customer for the product and determine the export, you are pretty much the manufacturer.

I'm confused.

Thereare laws governing the export of military type items that require government approvel to export.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I'm confused.

Thereare laws governing the export of military type items that require government approvel to export.

And sanctions that can lead to better sales figures for Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back