Used oil analisys on Volkswagen Sharan 2.0 170 HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help to interpretate the analisys of the used engine oil from my Used oil analisys on Volkswagen Sharan 2.0 170 HP from 2007. Diesel engine:

Untitled-1.jpg

I bought this used car with about 142 000 Km.
KM on Engine: 152 388 Km
I don’t know the oil brand.
The original engine has 140 HP (103 Kw) but in 2014 the ECU has been reprogrammed to 170 HP.

Yikes that is worse than the 10k UOA on my '09 TDI. I now only do 7-7.5K OCI now due to TBN depletion and high wear metals.

Did you really need to add 5L of make-up oil? That is bad. My '09 has 120K miles and still uses zero oil between changes.

Maybe that engine has been abused or it has more miles than you think. I'd do a compression check first.

Do or have a leak down test done on this engine, I suspect the rings have had it given the high iron and oil consumption. 500cl or 500ml?
Don't be surprised if the engine needs a rebuild, in which case go with a good low km used one and ditch the tune.
Is the turbo okay? How much did they increase the boost with the tune?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
Do or have a leak down test done on this engine, I suspect the rings have had it given the high iron and oil consumption. 500cl or 500ml?
Don't be surprised if the engine needs a rebuild, in which case go with a good low km used one and ditch the tune.

It says 500cL in the Notes and 5L in the description. Since they are the same volume I'm guessing 5L.

Originally Posted By: CleverUserName

It says 500cL in the Notes and 5L in the description. Since they are the same volume I'm guessing 5L.

I don't see 5L in the description only 500cl in the report, maybe I just don't see it on this small screen, but no matter.
I know 500cl is 5L but 5L would be the more common way of writing it that's why I was wondering if cl was a error for ml.

I don't see 5L in the description only 500cl in the report, maybe I just don't see it on this small screen, but no matter.
I know 500cl is 5L but 5L would be the more common way of writing it that's why I was wondering if cl was a error for ml.

There a a box titled “make up oil added” below the comments section. It’s says 5Ltr was added.

I didn’t realize at first this was a 2.0 PD engine? These are kind of rare in USA, 2.0 PD only used in the Passat for 1 or 2 years. I suppose the iron could be from the camshaft as the PDs cam was known to fail with 5w30. However given the ridiculous oil consumption it’s not likely IMO.

Last edited:
Regarding the make-up oil, some people have posted Blackstone reports here and listed the sump capacity in the top off section of their slip. It's possible that the OP did that here...don't know. Then again, maybe it really needed 5 liters of make-up oil.

Edit- if it did require 5 liters of make-up oil, that makes the report even uglier. The wear metals would be more diluted with all of the oil added.

That is the worst Iron reading I have ever seen in a UOA.

But at least Blackstone didn't tell him to try 12,000 next.

Last edited:
I would aim towards failed injector...wich has transformed itself into blow torch and is now melting your piston and cyl. wall (aluminium&iron)

Put out all glow plugs and have a look inside with a borescope...

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
I would aim towards failed injector...wich has transformed itself into blow torch and is now melting your piston and cyl. wall (aluminium&iron)

Put out all glow plugs and have a look inside with a borescope...

Sorry thats for commonrail diesels...

Have a look under valvecover how is your injector/valve (its one camshaft for both) camshaft doing
smile.gif

Yikes that is worse than the 10k UOA on my '09 TDI. I now only do 7-7.5K OCI now due to TBN depletion and high wear metals.

Did you really need to add 5L of make-up oil? That is bad. My '09 has 120K miles and still uses zero oil between changes.

Maybe that engine has been abused or it has more miles than you think. I'd do a compression check first.

Sorry, my mistake, added 50cl, half liter

Last edited:

50 cl, Half liter
I noticed some oil under the engine
30 hp. From 140 hp to 170 hp.

Last edited:
This is a PD TDI. These things are known to eat camshafts and valve buckets.

Open the top end and inspect your valve train. It might be in need of a new camshaft and buckets.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
This is a PD TDI. These things are known to eat camshafts and valve buckets.

Open the top end and inspect your valve train. It might be in need of a new camshaft and buckets.

Hi.

What means "PD"?

Originally Posted By: JorgeMartins

50 cl, Half liter
I noticed some oil under the engine
30 hp. From 140 hp to 170 hp.

That's what I suspected. It sounds like you have a small leak or weeping, not a big concern. The iron could be from the cam chain or camshaft but try a 5w40 or even 15w40 HDEO in your climate, go 5K km and retest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back