Boutique oil vs. Major oil company's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: Patman

Depends how much you won. Even a million isn't enough to retire on.

It depends on how close you are to retirement
wink.gif
My wife and I are taking early retirement in 2022 (we'll both be 52 at the time) and so if we won a million dollars today we could definitely retire right away.

FWIW, if I were a millionaire I'd still look for sales on oil! It's the thrill of the chase!
smile.gif

That's even worse, it's a million divided by 2. If you were in the US, that million doesn't add up to that much after factoring in federal, state and local taxes. So after a 37% federal tax hit, you'd be left with 630k. Standard advice is a 4% withdrawal rate which is supposed to last the rest of your life. 25k/year doesn't leave much to buying a car every year.

I suspect that a guy who planned well enough and did well enough to afford a new Corvette and to retire well before he's sixty has a pretty good grasp of the numbers.

wink.gif
My wife and I are taking early retirement in 2022 (we'll both be 52 at the time) and so if we won a million dollars today we could definitely retire right away.

FWIW, if I were a millionaire I'd still look for sales on oil! It's the thrill of the chase!
smile.gif

That's even worse, it's a million divided by 2. If you were in the US, that million doesn't add up to that much after factoring in federal, state and local taxes. So after a 37% federal tax hit, you'd be left with 630k. Standard advice is a 4% withdrawal rate which is supposed to last the rest of your life. 25k/year doesn't leave much to buying a car every year.

Who says that extra million dollars would be our only source of income? We already have a few sources of income in place for our 2022 retirement, so having an extra one million just means we can start it sooner.

PS-a one million dollar lottery win in Canada equals exactly one million dollars to the winner, there are no taxes on lottery winnings up here.

wink.gif

smile.gif

Who says that extra million dollars would be our only source of income? We already have a few sources of income in place for our 2022 retirement, so having an extra one million just means we can start it sooner.

PS-a one million dollar lottery win in Canada equals exactly one million dollars to the winner, there are no taxes on lottery winnings up here.

They have just never seen a tax in the US that they don't like to tax more.

All the majors read full synthetic on their labels, whereas Amsoil claims 100% on SS, XL and OE. From what I've googled seems like 100% definition means better oil. Any thoughts ? Btw, Amsoil fanboy here

Originally Posted By: madeej11
All the majors read full synthetic on their labels, whereas Amsoil claims 100% on SS, XL and OE. From what I've googled seems like 100% definition means better oil. Any thoughts ? Btw, Amsoil fanboy here

Yes … Amsoil Signature Series has the higher level synthetic base fluids and it goes down from there … most understand how good it is but might not want to run it long, don’t like the price, or don’t like the absence of builder approvals …
Or feel they are going to reap the rewards in the bank.
They have some lower priced motor oils that are more in line with major company offerings … but
I grabbed QSUD last week for $15/jug … if I was completely hung up on Amsoil, would have walked past it …
Look what folks pay for M1/PP after rebate on this sight …
I recently got both Delvac 1 and M1 0W40 for $23/jug .. Delvac for $10.. . Delo 400 for $11 … and I’m not the best shopper here by far …

Originally Posted By: Donald
I buy quality synthetic motor oil from Walmart, but the ATF and gear oil comes from Amsoil.

However if I won the lottery, I would buy all Amsoil.

Same here, but gear oils come from Redline, I have a manual transmission,and fwd. Redline MTL is awesome

Originally Posted By: madeej11

Amsoil is a quality synthetic oil, however it is a blend of syn base stocks(for a higher quality oil) as other quality oils are. Base stock blends are proprietary.

Personally, I've never tried amsoil, I have tried RP, it seems good, engine runs really smooth, but so does Valvoline Syn Power, Redline is good stuff, I have been to their business in benicia where it's made. I use their trandsfluid MTL

Amsoil seems gimmicky to me. Honda recommend you use their manual trans fluid which is a 75/80 oil, it also states you can temporarily use 5/30 oil. Redline MTL is a 75/80 with GM synchromesh added it shifts really smooth. Now amsoil for use in Honda's they use a 5/30 mix. I disagree with this because Honda is known to have Synchro issues in manual trans motor oil is not going to stick to the gears like a 75-80 will.

Redline MTL flows well from when I drained it, but leaves a tacky feel left behind on your fingers, this is what you would want on gears, motor oil won't do this

Personally, I have never used Amsoil for anything. In my Subaru in sig. -- I have Mobil 1 75W90 in both front & rear differentials & am pleased with it. I have used Red Line Shockproof gear oil in my 08 Road King Classic 103ci. 6spd gear box. That Red Line was very pricey & I could tell absolutely no difference from using Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 to justify its price. For engine oil im all into SOPUS products for my cars/chick truck.

Dale

Last edited:
This gets right back to the question,..."how much protection are you willing to pay for? ... above and beyond what is actually needed?
If oil "X" provides full protection for your vehicle, and oil "Y" has super duper, zoilol additive for long life and costs twice as much, is it worth it? I know that determining what "full protection for your vehicle" is hard to nail down. My point is, in most of the boutique oils and many of the off the shelf oils, we simply are getting and paying for a lot of hype, marketing and general nonsense in protection. Are they good, SURE, are they harmful, NO, are they necessary for protection...NO. There's too much impericle data to support the notion, that most oils are plenty sufficient.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing, I get caught up in all the advertising and hype as much as the next BITOG'er, but I try to keep in mind that it is what it is, hype, and advertising. There are many different chemistry formulations to get to the same point.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Originally Posted By: gmh101357
Does RP really have better motor oils when a small company could never have the money for RD like Exxon,BP,Shell.....etc?
My guess that M1 would be superior oil to RP or lucas or any smaller oil company products.....
My guess is this suddenly went from boutique vs majors to Mobil 1 and XOMs research budget real quick......

The way this works in practice is that most of the ILMA crowd - the smaller boutique blenders rely more heavily on the additive suppliers for their R&D work. Most of the additive companies have "market general" products which will meet the desired specification in a limited number of base oil options which are used by the ILMA's. They then have to choose what features they want to focus on and get the assistance from the Addco to make it happen. Some of the additive companies are better at this than others. In some cases two competitors might be working with the same Additive supplier and end up with completely different products.

The majors are more likely to fund some of their own testing and have more say into which base oils they want to use. In some cases they self-formulate, in others it's a partnership between them and the Addco. Where the majors have more advantage is things like Factory Fill positions where OEMs want to have more say in what oil goes in at the factory. Winning these partnerships helps move a lot of volume through the major's plants.

With all the M&A activity with distributors, they are even having more interaction with Addco's and base oil suppliers to create brand strategies that meet their target markets. With enough volume in a given opportunity, and for the right price (ILMA's sometimes pay higher prices for their extra support) an Additive supplier will do all kinds of things to try to help their partners.

Originally Posted By: bchannell
This gets right back to the question,..."how much protection are you willing to pay for? ... above and beyond what is actually needed?
If oil "X" provides full protection for your vehicle, and oil "Y" has super duper, zoilol additive for long life and costs twice as much, is it worth it? I know that determining what "full protection for your vehicle" is hard to nail down. My point is, in most of the boutique oils and many of the off the shelf oils, we simply are getting and paying for a lot of hype, marketing and general nonsense in protection. Are they good, SURE, are they harmful, NO, are they necessary for protection...NO. There's too much emperical data to support the notion, that most oils are plenty sufficient.

Of course. And how does a consumer even know how much more better oil Y is with the zoilol additive? If they say that it provides "twice the wear protection" of oil X, then that might mean that over the course of a test they find at teardown it only wore 0.0001" instead of 0.0002". But if the wear limit (whatever that may mean) is 0.001" then what difference does it make?

One certainly does get the impression that with a modern fully formulated motor oil the differences between one brand and the next are going to be inconsequential. Whether or not that's the case it sure seems like it, at least for wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back