Mobil 1 EP and AP for 6-10k drains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I'd give their 0w40 a try.

It's a solid extended drain oil.

As mentioned at the beginning, I have no intentions of straying from 0w20 and most certainly don't feel 0w40 is needed at all in this engine. I also don't think M1 0w40 is as good as it once was (which is why I switched my wife's BMW over to Castrol 0w40 recently)

Originally Posted By: kschachn
So you're saying that the AP product somehow fails the Sequence IVA wear test, or is inferior rather than superior as they claim?

And that quote you make does not help your argument at all. Coffee emoji or no coffee emoji, that dude knows nothing about testing oils nor reporting his results. There is nothing he says or does that is of any significance whatsoever. If you're hanging your hat on his "test" then that's even worse than a Blackstone UOA.

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. I am basing my personal decision to switch from Mobil to Pennzoil based on the UOAs I seen and still see on here that continually show higher than normal wear metal counts in UOAs.

Mobil failed the Sequence IVA wear test some years ago and I highly doubt Valvoline would stick its neck out like they did here and challenge Mobil unless they were a 100% certain their claims were true and real. I am sure if Mobil wanted to, considering their size, they could have sued Valvoline into the ground if they thought they had a case against them?
http://www.lubritecinc.com/PDF/Q & A Doc 4X Better.pdf

Like I posted earlier, Mobil never did respond as far as I know but who knows what was said/written behind closed doors?

Originally Posted By: irv
Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. I am basing my personal decision to switch from Mobil to Pennzoil based on the UOAs I seen and still see on here that continually show higher than normal wear metal counts in UOAs.

Mobil failed the Sequence IVA wear test some years ago and I highly doubt Valvoline would stick its neck out like they did here and challenge Mobil unless they were a 100% certain their claims were true and real. I am sure if Mobil wanted to, considering their size, they could have sued Valvoline into the ground if they thought they had a case against them?

Like I posted earlier, Mobil never did respond as far as I know but who knows what was said/written behind closed doors?

Well if you wish to make the leap that the current AP product is inferior then go for it I guess. We are going to have to disagree on that one.

Well if you wish to make the leap that the current AP product is inferior then go for it I guess. We are going to have to disagree on that one.

I have no idea, Kschachn, if the AP is inferior or not? Like what has been mentioned in this thread, the Sequence testing was done quite a few years ago so who knows if things have improved since then?
I just read some reviews in this link (near the bottom) and it seems not everyone is happy with it as it turns dark quick and some have real bad consumption issues with it. Just a heads up to keep an eye on your level if you are going to run it?
https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-annual-protection

Last edited:
I think that the primary distinction between AFE, EP and AP is the number of miles over which they're blended to maintain TBN and resist oxidation.
I doubt that you'd see any reduction in metal shedding per thousand miles or kilometers run. If AFE is already good in this regard, and it is, I don't think you'd see any less wear with either EP or AP, bearing in mind that we have no accurate way of measuring wear and that a UOA is not such a tool. It is a tool for measuring oil condition, though, so you might see EP and AP remain serviceable for more miles than AFE.
Were I you, I'd stay with AFE.
If you really have an itch to scratch, then go with something completely different like PP, which should also perform admirably in your Civic.
Just my two cents.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: volk06
No. What benefit do you expect to see at that interval? Is M1 AFE not keeping your engine clean?
Without taking off the valve cover, it's hard to say for sure but I figure that EP and AP must have better detergent packages in order to justify the higher price tag.
I had a better run with AFE versus EP in my 2010 FX4; all the way out to 17K miles. I would stick with AFE because I doubt you will see a difference except for your wallet.
Are there virgin oil samples on here that tell us what the difference is between the two?
I am sure there are some on the site, but here are the UOAs.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
You know I've seen just a few of the new AP UOA's and frankly I really wasn't impressed they showed no better wear metal etc. than the regular Mobil 1 or their EP. Presently in see no real value in Mobil AP.

You should know that UOAs don't tell you much about the quality of an oil. Way more about the condition of the oil.

So you're saying that the AP product somehow fails the Sequence IVA wear test, or is inferior rather than superior as they claim?

And that quote you make does not help your argument at all. Coffee emoji or no coffee emoji, that dude knows nothing about testing oils nor reporting his results. There is nothing he says or does that is of any significance whatsoever. If you're hanging your hat on his "test" then that's even worse than a Blackstone UOA.

The API never made that claim you hang onto.

Originally Posted By: Patman

I will say one thing about Mobil, they sure know how to market and promote their oils.
coffee2.gif

People have had great results with their oil over many decades, and are factory fill on a lot of high end cars, those things alone gives me the confidence to continue running their oil in my cars.

I know that if I continue to run AFE I won't run into problems, and perhaps it might be overkill if I use EP or AP, however this is an oil message board, and I've considered myself a bit of an oil nut for a long time now, so I'm always searching for the latest info on possible better choices (even if they may not be 100% necessary for my situation)

I am not saying your engine or anyone else's is going to grenade in 50,000 miles using Mobil oils, all I am saying is, there are far better oils out there for a lot less money that do an even better job at protecting than what Mobil-1 oils do.

Like you, I am also an oil nut, and maybe a little more frugal than the next guy, but that is why I switched from Mobil over to Pennzoil as it didn't sit well with me seeing UOA after UOA with higher than average wear metals in Mobil UOAS.

Personally, it is none of my business what anyone chooses to use, but I get my fur up when I read how great Mobil oil is when the fact of the matter is, it isn't anything like they claim it is.

You have not made the case … you don’t know how and just can’t ~ example; the guy you have been debating with has the most miles on this site … know how he got there?
Not PP or wasting money on UOA”s that’s for sure …
Quit exaggerating to make a point you don’t have …

That hasn't been my experience with M1 at all, especially in my Honda. I will have a new UOA this week from my most current oil change, but here is a snapshot of the previous UOA, using M1 0w20 AFE and going 9500 miles:

Iron 7.3
Lead 0
Aluminum 2.8
Copper 0.4
Chromium 0.5
Nickel 0
Titanium 0
Tin 0
Silver 0

Not exactly high wear metals there, and this interval was even handicapped with 5% fuel in it, causing the viscosity to drop to 6.5cst at 100c. I should see better results on my latest UOA which should also have almost no fuel in the oil this time.

It was 5%, but I don't know what the TBN or Flashpoint was. Every once in a while I see very high fuel like this in the oil, which is from a leaky injector and I then throw a double dose of Regane in the tank and it cleans things up and fixes the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back