How many of you use Rock Auto?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love RockAuto, just have to sometimes plan purchases to reduce shipping costs from multiple suppliers. With the discount code and no sales tax, a really good supplier.

Best of all is their great web-site, oh so easy to find the correct part for your exact year, make, and model...

I am typically picky about brand of parts. If you buy something from autozone, you get house brand junk.

I like to pick my own wiper brand, air filter, etc.

I place a few rockauto orders per year and have generally been happy with them.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
I like there prices but NOT there shipping costs.

Dale

I think it's hilarious how people expect free shipping on everything these days. Logistics is a huge expense, and if you don't pay for it seperately, it just gets rolled into the price of the merchandise. Not everyone can get sweet deals with the USPS like Amazon and China. I think the shipping costs from Rock Auto are perfectly reasonable, and I like the flexibility of being able to group my orders into parts from a single warehouse to save on shipping, or not.

They need to fix their shipping nonsense. Sometimes adding something significantly lowers or raises the shipping. Try adding a wiper blade or something cheap to an order and sometimes you actually save $$ and get the extra item.

I am located in Toronto, Canada, and I have used Rockauto in the past four years maybe 5 times, and even with the shipping fee, my orders have been 20 to 30% less then the jobbers I deal locally..

But recently I have found Rockauto's fright fees for very similar order as the past is now like 2x to 2.5x higher then before..

I do! Love the organization of the site. Plenty of parts to pick from. Example $5 brake pads all the way up to $50 pads and everything in between. Shipping from multiple locations can be frustrating and costly, but I can usually change up brands and pull through.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

Dale

I think it's hilarious how people expect free shipping on everything these days. Logistics is a huge expense, and if you don't pay for it seperately, it just gets rolled into the price of the merchandise. Not everyone can get sweet deals with the USPS like Amazon and China. I think the shipping costs from Rock Auto are perfectly reasonable, and I like the flexibility of being able to group my orders into parts from a single warehouse to save on shipping, or not.

I think their shipping costs are reasonable, for the most part. However, here's the irony and humor of RockAuto: The home page always shows you how much they charge for a part and how much higher Advance, NAPA, Autozone and everybody else charges for the same part. But does RockAuto show how much the part costs with shipping charges included? You ever get a part from RockAuto that has free shipping? Me neither. And Advance, NAPA, Autozone and all the others usually never charge extra for shipping charges.
As sue-crazy as the US is, I'm surprised there isn't a class-action lawsuit against RockAuto for false advertising.

Have had on average positive results using Rock Auto. When I shop, they are always in the running for consideration and if they beat everybody else on cost shipped, they get my business.

Only advice I would offer is to not order from them if your vehicle that is being repaired is relied upon as a daily driver that cannot have a down day in the event a dud or wrong part is given.

RockAuto keeps doing their best to lose my business. I can order from Amazon @ 11PM Thursday night, and with free Prime shipping, it'll be in the mail Saturday.

RockAuto on the other hand? Received an email this past Friday stating my order had shipped. As of 2PM Monday (today), here's what tracking says:
UcdSSKu.png

In order words, they're just outright lying to compete with Amazon and make you think they're shipping is as fast. In reality, it should leave their warehouse today, and I'll probably get it Wednesday.

Shipping costs are high, especially when parts have to cross the border to Canada. Yet, prices even with the exchange rate not in my advantage plus shipping, I can usually end up paying less than local retail prices.

Just placed an order today for my Cavalier.
Complete rear brakes, drums, shoes, spring kit and wheel cylinders, all Centric parts, $94 shipped to my door.

It can be weird sometimes. Two struts and strut mounts plus a few misc parts shipped for $9.99. The 5% discount took care of that, and some. I average $200 to $400 a month at Rock and shop around before buying. Local B&M, Amazon, Ebay, etc. Never understood how online retailers like Rock are cheaper than what I can get from wholesale distributors locally. I suppose having the part that day has something to do with it, but often times the local places have to order the part as well. If I ask the local place if they can match the online price, they always say no.

Originally Posted By: CB900F2
I am located in Toronto, Canada, and I have used Rockauto in the past four years maybe 5 times, and even with the shipping fee, my orders have been 20 to 30% less then the jobbers I deal locally..

But recently I have found Rockauto's fright fees for very similar order as the past is now like 2x to 2.5x higher then before..

I agree. Who do you use in Toronto for parts? I find Hot Spot auto parts not bad.

I use them but not for parts that are either reman, body parts, or possible fitment issues. Watch the shipping cost, sometimes its cheaper just to go to the local Napa or even the dealer in the case of bumper covers/body parts and so on.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I use them but not for parts that are either reman, body parts, or possible fitment issues. Watch the shipping cost, sometimes its cheaper just to go to the local Napa or even the dealer in the case of bumper covers/body parts and so on.

+1

Reman parts with a core charge, I order from a local store that I can actually return the used core in-store. This includes the stores' online sites such as autozone.com for example. Plus, the stores often have discounts that are online-only, so you still get a good price along with all the advantages of an actual store.

Returning a core to Rock Auto and having to pay to mail the core back to them can eat away at your core refund, sometimes making it not worth it to even return the used core.

Body parts I usually get used at a local junkyard. They don't go bad from high mileage like mechanical parts do.

Last purchase for our jeep was thru rock auto, a remy alternator. Instead of rebuilt and sending core in,I purchase a new alternator. I think I ordered on a Sunday night and had it Tuesday, normal shipping, must of had a warehouse close. Over all I check with amazon, rock auto is lower priced, even with shipping, by a buck or 2 and yes use their 5% code, not much but helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back