Engine noise increases with mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever notice their engine becoming noisier as the mileage increases on their oil?

This is assuming the oil level is correct, correct weight is used etc.

It could bet the oil has thinned out, fuel dilution, additives depleted, etc. Have you gotten a UOA to see how the oil was doing at the end of the OCI?

Yes I have noticed it on certain vehicle.Generally vehicles with good sound insulation like my Buick I notice it.In my Geo tracker hardtop not so much.The Mazda Tribute engine is a bit noisy at all times.The Acclaim I have not had long enough to notice.My wifes Honda loses so much oil that it never has high mileage oil in it.

Yeah, when im over the 4000 mile mark in the Subaru it becomes more noticeable then when up to 4000 miles.

Dale

Last edited:
No, not with my vehicle. Even when I ran the oil (Ultra) and it thinned out almost two grades lower (UOA) I never heard a difference. I recently put Redline Oil in my Montero and it has never been quieter in 24 years. But, I'm using RL for only extreme 4x4 only. Too expensive otherwise....

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Yes.
Especially in my Accord.
Around 4-5K it starts clacking more when cold , regardless of brand I use.

On my XJ the oil pressure drops slightly and seems a bit more diesel-y but other than that, don't really notice anything. My Liberty is actually slightly louder after an oil change, after 100 miles it quiets back down.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Anyone ever notice their engine becoming noisier as the mileage increases on their oil?

This is assuming the oil level is correct, correct weight is used etc.

Always and everywhere in everything.
It's very gradual over the length of a reasonable OCI but the smoothness and quietness of fresh oil after a drain is unmistakable.

My Saturn might have... It also used its second quart of makeup oil faster. Which is when I'd have the oil changed. Didn't know better, let the dealer take care of it, probably cheapo conventional. Haven't noticed it since, maybe I change my oil too often--or not often enough in that Saturn.

Compared to when you first get a specific car, etc, I can see that knowing your car better with time means
you'll perceive it as less quiet then before. "Familiarity may breed contempt".

On the other hand, if you hear clicks, thumps, rattles hot or cold, those are likely real
issues to look at.

With time and big mileage, every engine gets a little looser and produces more overall
noise!

Yes, used to happen on the Focus. Also noticed it became rougher and in general very unpleasant.
After the OCI the improvement was marginal, but still noticeable.

My accord clacks when cold whether the oil is new or old. Honda's have a lot of piston slap. It goes away after driving for a few minutes.

Never really had that feeling. A oil that ages should thicken and quiet more. Ran my Pennzoil Synthetic 10k and still had life left using synthetic. Sounds like placebo effect.Try using a better oil and filter. If it still feels like that you might be due for a valve job adjusting.

On the Koleos (turbo diesel L4), I can hear the oil sound dampening as the mileage increases. The surprise effect is when I just went to change the oil, smooth and firm. 20000 km later, starts to sound more like an old mechanical diesel injection engine. CLACK CLACK CLACK GRRRRRRR!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NO2
My accord clacks when cold whether the oil is new or old. Honda's have a lot of piston slap. It goes away after driving for a few minutes.

Valve adjustment needed probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back