Pick me an oil from my stash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Manual says: “SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.
If SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil change...The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.”
I live in Maine where it’s 100* in summer and can hit -20 in winter.
I drive relatively easy until it’s warmed up fully and like to step on it once in a while.
It is 6 miles to my job five times a week, traveling back road for a few miles then hitting route one with a couple stop lights. So it never fully warms up when I drive to work. I gas up every week and a half traveling the highway 15 miles which is when I feel I am able to open it up without damaging the engine.
Bought the truck new and has less than 30,000 miles which translates to 6,000 miles a year. I ordered a blackstone kit and will get a uoa done when I do my change in the next few weeks. I usually run Mobil 1 afe 0w-20 for one year. Have a bunch of Toyota filters that I will use since I got them for $5 each at the dealership and stocked up in fear of them increasing in price. I had a ‘99 Tacoma that Toyota bought back due to the frame rot issue and put all that money down on this tundra. I’m lucky as I just made the last payment on this beast!
Here’s my stash:
24 qt. napa syn 0w-20 nov 2015
20 qt. Milesyn synthetic 0w-20 July 2017
8 qt magnatec 0w-20 April 2016
10 qt magnatec 5w-20 June 16
20 qt Mobil ep 0w-20
21qt Quaker state 0w-20 nov 2016
5 qt Quaker state syn 5w-20 July 15
22 qts idemitsu 0w-20
*Also 12 qts milesyn 5w-30

Ideally I would like to use the oldest oil first (which would mean mixing qs 5w20 with 0w-20) but with all the pennzoil fallout happenings I’m worried about the freshest oil I have-milesyn 0w-20 in a 5 gal pail. Also I would like to use the “quietest” motor oil I have to see if I can tell if there really is a difference. Basically I’m torn between: pail, quietest, or oldest oil. What would you choose?

Originally Posted By: Donald
The ones in the front of the shelf.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: pda1122
Vehicle: 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Manual says: “SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather.
If SAE 0W-20 is not available, SAE 5W-20 oil may be used. However, it must be replaced with SAE 0W-20 at the next oil change...The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when the oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions.”
I live in Maine where it’s 100* in summer and can hit -20 in winter.
I drive relatively easy until it’s warmed up fully and like to step on it once in a while.
It is 6 miles to my job five times a week, traveling back road for a few miles then hitting route one with a couple stop lights. So it never fully warms up when I drive to work. I gas up every week and a half traveling the highway 15 miles which is when I feel I am able to open it up without damaging the engine.
Bought the truck new and has less than 30,000 miles which translates to 6,000 miles a year. I ordered a blackstone kit and will get a uoa done when I do my change in the next few weeks. I usually run Mobil 1 afe 0w-20 for one year. Have a bunch of Toyota filters that I will use since I got them for $5 each at the dealership and stocked up in fear of them increasing in price. I had a ‘99 Tacoma that Toyota bought back due to the frame rot issue and put all that money down on this tundra. I’m lucky as I just made the last payment on this beast!
Here’s my stash:
24 qt. napa syn 0w-20 nov 2015
20 qt. Milesyn synthetic 0w-20 July 2017
8 qt magnatec 0w-20 April 2016
10 qt magnatec 5w-20 June 16
20 qt Mobil ep 0w-20
21qt Quaker state 0w-20 nov 2016
5 qt Quaker state syn 5w-20 July 15
22 qts idemitsu 0w-20
*Also 12 qts milesyn 5w-30

Ideally I would like to use the oldest oil first (which would mean mixing qs 5w20 with 0w-20) but with all the pennzoil fallout happenings I’m worried about the freshest oil I have-milesyn 0w-20 in a 5 gal pail. Also I would like to use the “quietest” motor oil I have to see if I can tell if there really is a difference. Basically I’m torn between: pail, quietest, or oldest oil. What would you choose?

A 140 +/- quarts of oil?!?! WOW!
shocked2.gif

As you can see, having an overwhelming stash makes things too complicated! I have lots conventional oil too but that’s reserved for the other vehicle.

A little math.
142 quarts of oil. Estimating 6qt oil/change that's 23 oil changes. At 6K/year and assuming 6K OCI for easy math that is 23 years of oil changes. You better have the same vehicle since the oil specifications will change on newer cars and make this stash obsolete.

Using the freshest oil doesn't make since since your last oil change from this stash will be 20+ years old. Just start changing it at 3K intervals.

Oh the troubles of the first world.
Plenty of ways:
1 Take your wife and have her pick the "prettiest" one.
2 Shake the shelf, whatever falls off, use that.
3 Or logically, first in - first out.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
When was the last time Valvoline produced a passenger vehicle jug in a gallon container?
You need to use that old stuff-up.

It's the bottom remnants of the drums at work. Couple gallons per drum. The drum pump doesn't reach all the way to the bottom.
whistle.gif

I have been running 5w-20 Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 5w-20 EP in my 2011 Tundra with the 5.7. I don't think the engine will care which 20 weight oil you choose. I have always found the 5w-20's a little easier to find in my parts.

The 2011 Tundra's with the 5.7 came from the factory with non synthetic 5w-20. When I was still under the Toyota Care the dealer said all Toyota recommended was 5w-20, non synthetic oil. The very first oil change after Toyota Care was over, the dealer recommended synthetic. Amazing how that changed.

I am getting ready to change mine soon and I'm thinking about trying PUP or PP 5w-20 or Valvoline SynPower 5w-20. Got a few cases of M1 5w-20 that I bought on sale last year with some Amazon points so I may just use it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: klt1986
I have been running 5w-20 Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 5w-20 EP in my 2011 Tundra with the 5.7. I don't think the engine will care which 20 weight oil you choose. I have always found the 5w-20's a little easier to find in my parts.

The 2011 Tundra's with the 5.7 came from the factory with non synthetic 5w-20. When I was still under the Toyota Care the dealer said all Toyota recommended was 5w-20, non synthetic oil. The very first oil change after Toyota Care was over, the dealer recommended synthetic. Amazing how that changed.

I am getting ready to change mine soon and I'm thinking about trying PUP or PP 5w-20 or Valvoline SynPower 5w-20. Got a few cases of M1 5w-20 that I bought on sale last year with some Amazon points so I may just use it.

If you have a cartridge filter, I can highly recommend this custom made filter wrench.
Link
The skid plate is a pain by yourself so either have an extra set of hands or what helped me was an air wrench; one hand to hold the skid plate and the other to use the wrench without having to ratchet

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
When was the last time Valvoline produced a passenger vehicle jug in a gallon container?
You need to use that old stuff-up.

It's the bottom remnants of the drums at work. Couple gallons per drum. The drum pump doesn't reach all the way to the bottom.
whistle.gif

All the good stuff lives at the bottom!
grin.gif
How long does a drum last at work?

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
A little math.
142 quarts of oil. Estimating 6qt oil/change that's 23 oil changes. At 6K/year and assuming 6K OCI for easy math that is 23 years of oil changes. You better have the same vehicle since the oil specifications will change on newer cars and make this stash obsolete./endquote

Using the freshest oil doesn't make since since your last oil change from this stash will be 20+ years old. Just start changing it at 3K intervals.

Stepmom picked up a newer Mazda CX-5 and hoping to get my hands dirty on that thing. Dad also has gmc 2500 gasser. And of course my wife’s ride. Have done a few changes for friends also. But yes I have lots of oil, bought most for under/around $2/qt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back