Anyone here own a Chevy Cruze diesel 6 speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I test drove a 2018 Chevy Cruze sedan with a 1.6L diesel and a manual transmission. I'm well aware it would cost more to own than a gas
powered Cruze: Cost of the Diesel option, cost of diesel fuel vs 87 octane, urea fluid, higher maintenance cost and potentially higher cost to repair certain things related to it being a diesel i.e the DPF. I really liked the torque of the engine which makes it feel like a small car with a big V6.
The engine puts out more torque and at lower RPM than a Buick Lucerne with a 3800 V6. The only thing holding me back from buying one is it's looks.
The salesman I dealt with said if I don't buy it today, it will be gone tomorrow. That turned me off, but the car was indeed gone the next day. They offered to take $4K off sticker. I would like opinions from anyone here that owns one or opinions from people that don't.

Be careful asking for thoughts on GM cars on this forum. It will descend into nothing but anti GM drivel. I hope someone can give you unbiased information on that particular version. My fingers are crossed for you.

I mean diesel makes a lot more sense for how we drive in the US. Low torque, good MPG for long interstate trips, low noise, potentially more reliable due to how diesel engine blocks are built.

Back when the Jetta was a worthwhile car, the TDI with the manual was a very popular and reliable car.

And on the opposite end of the price spectrum, MB has a diesel sedan that can get some 700+ miles per tank. Ridiculous!

If we keep saying the usual 'oh it'll cost more to own, yada yada' then sales won't tick up and the mfrs won't have an incentive to offer it.

For starters the fuel filter will need to be replaced each year. If its anything like my Duramax they well charge you over $130 dollars to do that at the stealership. I do my own on the Duramax I can buy the filter online for $22. Not real sure but I suspect the sump on the diesel should hold a lot more oil than a gas engine. Duramax my 10 quart oil change the Stealership charges $130 plus tax for blend oil. I change mine for $50 with full synthetic. It will likely have a larger than standard Air filter as well. The AC Delco at the Stealership is over $100 I can do it for $32 online and install it myself. Every thing on a diesel you can figure at about twice what a gas engine will be. They see you and your wallet coming and going a lot thinner.

Last edited:
I should have added I'm a semi mechanic and do the maintenance and repairs on my own vehicles.

The hatchback is more practical, but other than that, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them. Plus, it's a new car with a warranty. And the $4k off makes it a good deal. I think the MSRP is a bit high, but the discount you were offered makes the price right
smile.gif

And of course, plenty of Euro oil to be had on clearance
27.gif

I want one as well. I’m going to do the buyback on my ‘09 Jetta TDI 6m and am considering a Cruz diesel as a replacement. I’m like you and am concerned with reliability and not sure if a GM car can last 10 years before it turns into an unreliable money-pit. However I would prefer the 9 speed automatic transmission.

I find a 1.6l diesel with VVT and a VNT turbo @ 27 psi boost to be an exciting combination. This 1.6L is rated at almost the same HP/TQ as my 2.0 TDI with 20% smaller displacement.
Chain driven camshafts. No timing belt to worry about.
I’m sure the oil sump is 5L or less. Oil changes will be affordable as most synthetic Dexos 2 oils can be purchased for $6-8 per quart not including any rebates.
DEF fluid is cheap, if purchased in bulk at a truck stop the cost is insignificant in IMO.

The biggest liability are going to be diesel emissions system sensors and components IMO.

Last edited:
They offered to take $4k off the sticker, but "knew" it'd be gone tomorrow if you didn't take it? Seems odd.

I had a Jetta & loved that diesel power. No powerhouse but it did what I wanted. Haven't driven a turbo gasser, so maybe I'd enjoy the latest mills and their diesel like torque--especially if it was a wide flat curve, with a wider powerband than a typical diesel.

As for owning one, I'd do a spreadsheet and put in all the maintenance items over the expected ownership (maybe a bit more, since plans can change). Sounds like you know it would cost more, but I'd write it all down & boil into a cost per mile. Perhaps something else will come close in driving feel yet be cheaper overall.

Just looked up the engine oil capacity, it's 5.3 quarts of Dexos 2 5W30. The dealer told me they would give me a GM S discount.

I like how the hatch looks vs the sedan. Unrelated I know. If you like how it drives go for it, there isn't going to be a whole lot of data on this vehicle just yet.

Buying the diesel engine is more of a passion for the engine that the price of purchase or cost operation. My wife wanted a diesel engine when we bought her 2002 F250 So far so good. It looks like a project to do any major repair work but my wife loves the truck.

Originally Posted By: DevilsRule
Be careful asking for thoughts on GM cars on this forum. It will descend into nothing but anti GM drivel. I hope someone can give you unbiased information on that particular version. My fingers are crossed for you.

What? we all love GM cars, even more if they'd stop cheating the public! LOL !!
wink.gif

Seriously, for me, knowing the huge weaknesses of certain GM platforms, I'll know what to look
for and what to bargain down to on the next buy, that way I can roll over previous knowledge,
spare parts, carry-overs, etc!!

Did that with Chrysler from 1974 to 2012!!
smile.gif

On GM trucks, I don't see any signs that they cheapened them out to the point of alienating the
truck market!

I have a close colleague that has a 2014 Cruze diesel. He loved it up until the 100K mike mark then everything started going horribly wrong. His commute is ~80 miles each way with many 75 MPH zones and the thing has left him in reduced power mode several times because of emissions issues. He finally got everything taken care of but is cost him over $4500 after it was all said and done.

With diesel fuel running about 30% higher than regular gas, the extra cost of the diesel option becomes difficult to justify.
What is the difference in purchase cost and fuel economy on the Cruze with the diesel engine vs the gasoline engine of comparable output?

I don't know much about them, but I like the idea of it.

I once drove a Jetta TDI with a manual trans and it was very fun to drive. I imagine the Cruze diesel with a manual trans would be also. Are they popular? That might make parts easier to find. I've only seen a few of the newer Cruzes around but they have been gas models.

Looks good on paper. Not a jab on GM, but I want nothing to do with a junk modern electronic emissions diesel. If it's cheap to lease, go for it. Otherwise, you'll be open to the massive expense and repairs that a modern diesel has.

Huge premium to get into it, insanely expensive emissions system ... No thanks!

I test drove one 2 months back. Being im 6ft. 4in. & 230 lbs. -- I did not like the feel of it. The power seemed nice & smooth overall though. Went with the Jetta 1.4L gas Turbo instead.

Dale

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back