Toyota filters deserve more cred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Who makes those Toyota oil filters?

I forget the name... Renso? Fenso? Nenso?

Help me out here.

Dense-O ... ??
lol.gif
(j/k)

Its not the filter. Why aren't you talking about the oil? Well, it's not that either. It's the engine design, its a toyota, it had a life of highway miles only, and probably at lower speeds because if I remember correctly, he assisted big hauls cross country.

More impressive to me is the transmission(reverse went at seven hundred thousand or so, but only reverse replaced), and drivers seat.

Why aren't we obsessing about a more significant factor, the air filters he used, their efficiency, and the frequency with which they were changed?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Wear data tells us that filtration efficiency of the lube filter is moot; it just does not create a tangible difference in wear control.

Believe in keeping the anti-wear triangle strong, so tangible enough for me.

Why are you using that high efficiency TG and not a 50% @ 20u filter.
grin2.gif

Capacity for my longer OCIs; I typically run 10-15k miles.

IMO (and that's all it is), the TG is one of the best values out there. High efficiency, good capacity, reasonable cost. Anything from a MC to a TG to Wix/NG is fine by me. It's just that the TG is the best "value" for my criteria.

I am seriously considering running the OCOD for some longer OCIs, just to see people here wince ... It is, after all, a 95% glass-enhanced filter per Jay.

Since we are here to learn things and not regurgitate marketing or what we heard from the guy at movie theater is and I will repeat myself as necessary,,, the best oil filter is the air filter.

I used to buy TGs, Wix, Napa Gold....etc and run for two 6K OCIs.
Now I buy $1.47 Premium Guards from rockauto and change both oil and filter, every 6K. My startups are quiet and my dashboard gauge flow rates at idle are good-as-when the vehicle was new 14 years ago. Oil dipstick still stays clear for about 1.5-2K.

That's how us non-filter cutters gauge/judge our oil filters.

Last edited:
Air filter and oil very important as is driving style. They said the truck was used for towing? More impressive. I think the point was the Toyota oil filter did not change the outcome or cause any detectable harm, in spite of opinions otherwise.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Since we are here to learn things and not to regurgitate marketing or what we heard from the guy at movie theater is and I will repeat myself as necessary,,, the best oil filter is the air filter.

Only if it's pretty high in efficiency. There's that evil word again.
grin2.gif

Anything from a MC to a TG to Wix/NG is fine by me.

Me too - anything thats 95% @ 20u or better as long as it doesn't fail.

Wear data tells us that filtration efficiency of the lube filter is moot; it just does not create a tangible difference in wear control.

Believe in keeping the anti-wear triangle strong, so tangible enough for me.

Why are you using that high efficiency TG and not a 50% @ 20u filter.
grin2.gif

Capacity for my longer OCIs; I typically run 10-15k miles.

IMO (and that's all it is), the TG is one of the best values out there. High efficiency, good capacity, reasonable cost. Anything from a MC to a TG to Wix/NG is fine by me. It's just that the TG is the best "value" for my criteria.

I am seriously considering running the OCOD for some longer OCIs, just to see people here wince ... It is, after all, a 95% glass-enhanced filter per Jay.

Dave-you can run an Extra Guard for 10K plus, my brother has done it several times on his '02 Altima 2.5, and they've always looked good when cut open (PH7317s). Now approaching 200K and still not burning any oil between changes, somehow-but currently laid up due to missing floorboards (rust victim).

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Who makes those Toyota oil filters?

I forget the name... Renso? Fenso? Nenso?

Help me out here.

Dense-O ... ??
lol.gif
(j/k)
Thanks ZO, I needed that.

I thought about running one for 10,000 miles.

I called Fram today. They told me it was 94% at 20 microns.

I'm still not crazy about their ADBV.

... I am seriously considering running the OCOD for some longer OCIs, just to see people here wince ...
Yes, some will "wince," but I predict the results will be very boring, unless you run it several times the recommended life, or something else is wrong in your engine or your usage patterns. The same goes for most other ordinary filters.

Correct me if I am wrong here but I believe Bob the owner of this site back in 2002 did a experiment where he ran oil in an engine without a oil filter and the engine was perfectly fine after 50,000 miles or more I believe.

I personally think we make too much out of oil filters on this forum and I am guilty as charged as well.

Originally Posted By: deven
Correct me if I am wrong here but I believe Bob the owner of this site back in 2002 did a experiment where he ran oil in an engine without a oil filter and the engine was perfectly fine after 50,000 miles or more I believe.

Define "perfectly fine". If it means it was still running "fine" then the test doesn't mean much. If there was a complete teardown with measurements at 1000 miles (after break-in), then again at 50,000 miles to compare measurements and found none, then that might conclude something.

Define "perfectly fine". If it means it was still running "fine" then the test doesn't mean much. If there was a complete teardown with measurements at 1000 miles (after break-in), then again at 50,000 miles to compare measurements and found none, then that might conclude something.

No idea if that was done. All I remember was that the conclusion was that the car ran the same as it did when new iirc.

No idea if that was done. All I remember was that the conclusion was that the car ran the same as it did when new iirc.

"Running the same" is pretty nebulous. Did he do a dyno run with corrected SAE numbers on the same exact dyno before and then after 50,000 miles. It's very easy to come to some kind of false conclusion of the impact of something without using a very controlled experiment.

"Running the same" is pretty nebulous. Did he do a dyno run with corrected SAE numbers on the same exact dyno before and then after 50,000 miles. It's very easy to come to some kind of false conclusion of the impact of something without using a very controlled experiment.

Not sure how a dyno would help determine anything. Dyno's have a +/- variance with each pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back