Anyone here still use AAP and AZ for their fluids

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rarely go to AAP and AZ anymore ever since I got 5 jugs of gold cap M1 Extended Performance at Walmart two years ago and my commute dropped from 75 miles to under 1 mile daily. For my car, I just change once a year now and use Fram's top of the line filter that many folks here approved. My wife car gets changed twice a year with the same oil and filter. This is before Mobil went with the 'new formula' as well pricing for their yellow cap oil. I can't justify the $40+ at Wally so I am now getting oil from Costco or BJ's whenever they have the $10 coupon for the 0W20 stuffs.

I went in AAP the other day to get brake pads and rotors for my Honda Fit and was shocked at how expensive their oil are. Do people not hear of Wally World? Who would pay almost 50% more for oil when Wally World are all over the place. I can see how someone can overpay for certain parts that Wally doesn't carry and they don't want to risk the online purchase but buying basic fluids at such high mark-up unneccsarily is just insane. Any I am sure many people here buy ATF from dealership for brands such as Honda or others that specify certain formula. My Honda ATF is actually not that expensive at dealership, it costs more than synthetic engine oil at Wally but I only change it once every 30k-50k miles which comes in to be about 2 years so it is super cheap maintenance item to have a great AT to go to 300k miles.

If you still go to small auto part stores for fluids, is there a reason why? I can supporting mom and pop but AAP and AZ aren't mom and pop.

In November I picked up over 50 qts of QSUD/syn blend/conventional motor oils at AAP ranging from 25c to 40c per quart. After rebates it was free. AZ also offers some clearance sales from time to tome. So good reason to poke around in both of them during the year.

Only if the sale on Castrol 0w40 is good and they let me swap the filter offered for a Mann (they always do so far) otherwise its Waly's.

Not anymore for oil. Since their oil change specials started to get a little too rich for my blood, and now mostly include Purolator filters, I stopped buying from them. I have loaded up on Castrol ATF +4 from AAP, which they occasionally run on sale, their price for that is pretty good.

If AZ has a year end blow out sale on oil I'll have a look and grab what I can use.

I'm liking WMT online more and more for oil deals. I have done well a few times with rebates, and Rollback pricing.

Last edited:
If a parts store has a deal and if I need something, I'll shop there, but I typically get my oil at Walmart. Some filters I get online and others I get at WM. I do always buy my M1 0w40 when XOM has a rebate going on and if I am lucky, WM will have it on rollback too. I try to check the store fliers when I need something, but lately I've just been checking the deals forum here.

I realize you've started shopping elsewhere, but you making this thread and saying something about a $40+ oil related bill is a bit of an oxymoron. Any oil that is $40+ at WM just isn't worth it, but that's a story for another day..
smile.gif

I've been buying fluids at Walmart--doesn't offend me. [Trick: go first thing in the morning.]

While I do have a small stash I'm not going to go and stock gallons of oil. "Costs" too much to store for me.

Coolant I buy from the dealer though.

Last time I was at AZ I pulled the battery out to have it tested. While doing that someone walked up to me, asked if I was a mechanic (no!) and offered like $20 to install some cam sensor on his Neon. He was clueless where to start. I looked, saw that it wasn't a quick job (buried under stuff), told him where it was and how to get to it. He was ecstatic, and went in to borrow tools. I didn't stick around to see how it went.

Edit: mailorder for filters and most parts. Although I found myself in a bind last fall & used a dealer for rotors & pads for my truck (ouch).

Last edited:
I mainly go to WM but got some Castrol 5w40 from an AZ sale not long ago. I don't care for AAP sales since they come bundled with Tearolators.

Amazon Prime is great, too. Can't beat not having to leave the house
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
I don't care for AAP sales since they come bundled with Tearolators.

Dang, I thought I was the only one here who thought this way...
27.gif

I buy the Castrol 0w30 when Pep Boys has their Founders Day sale in February. It ends up being about $20 after rebate.

AAP and Autozone sometimes have Castrol ATF on sale for $5/qt. AAP has their sale for a couple more days, and Autozone had theirs last month. Keep in mind that this Castrol ATF sale includes their Full Synthetic ATF as well as the CVT fluid.

And for the people who like Amsoil, it is sold in some independent auto parts stores, and I've heard of a few Napas carrying it too (but not the one near me)

Autozone is good for their annual oil clearance. Wasn't that good this year, but I still have a few years left. If you're not in a rush, it's even cheaper waiting for a rebate. I like the Mobil 1 rebates, I might wait for that one to pick up a filter with it.

At AAP, If you jump through some hoops (coupons), you can get decent pricing on specialized fluids.

Online is cheaper, but if you need something that same day, Pentosin fluids are usually only available locally at AAP.

I drive Honda so coolant and ATF are bought at dealer. I buy oil and other fluids at Wally though. I don't wrench much now and Honda vehicles don't need much other than fluids; therefore, it has work out great.

When they have good sales +
speed Perks discounts ( AAP ) . AutoZone , not so much .

Ordered a magnetic drain plug from AAP , on line + Speed Perks . Picked it up after lunch .

But , I also ordered an AC Delco oil filter cap / cover from rockauto.com , this morning .

I buy all my oil from Walmart and order all my filters from RockAuto.

Sometimes an "oil deal" at Autozone is a good buy like their Mobil 1 jug and STP XL filter for $29.99. I will occasionally buy that if a car takes 5 qts. If it takes more than 5 qts than you overspend by buying the extra needed oil at their regular price. I think Mobil 1 was $9 a qt last I saw.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I buy the Castrol 0w30 when Pep Boys has their Founders Day sale in February. It ends up being about $20 after rebate.

AAP and Autozone sometimes have Castrol ATF on sale for $5/qt. AAP has their sale for a couple more days, and Autozone had theirs last month. Keep in mind that this Castrol ATF sale includes their Full Synthetic ATF as well as the CVT fluid.

And for the people who like Amsoil, it is sold in some independent auto parts stores, and I've heard of a few Napas carrying it too (but not the one near me)

Yup I picked up 12qts Castrol ATF+4 a couple days ago at AAP. It was 4.99 each and A 20 dollar off coupon online if you spend 50 and free shipping. Ended up being close to 3.50 per quart. Now I can hopefully do trans fluid on both the truck and Jeep this summer

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Aero540T
Yup I picked up 12qts Castrol ATF+4 a couple days ago at AAP. It was 4.99 each and A 20 dollar off coupon online if you spend 50 and free shipping. Ended up being close to 3.50 per quart. Now I can hopefully do trans fluid on both the truck and Jeep this summer

cool
thumbsup2.gif

If your transmissions don't have drain plugs, Dorman might make a pan that has one
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: Aero540T

cool
thumbsup2.gif

If your transmissions don't have drain plugs, Dorman might make a pan that has one
smile.gif

Haha yeah I’ve got one for the truck in my amazon cart already, just don’t need to order it right this minute

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back