Dirty oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If your car/truck sits for several weeks without being driven and you have say 5,000 miles on your oil will dirt in the oil separate and stick to the oil pan? I'm running QSUD

Several weeks no but long term it sure will. Prove it to yourself, drain your oil into a 5qt jug and leave it sitting, eventually you will find the sludge is on the bottom.

Why isn't the dirt in the filter?

Or are we talking about microscopic silt that wouldn't matter anyway?

Oil pans come up to temp when the engines reach op temp and the oil is pretty violently stirred by crankshaft windage, turn over to the pick-up (near the bottom), etc. Even if it had settled out, it would be re-mixed in short order. What are you concerned about?

Take a mason jar, dump some used oil into it. Set it aside for however long, weeks, months, years. Pick it up and tilt is slowly to see, then swirl, look again, heat to 200F, swirl and look at the jar.
But why experiment when speculation is so much more fun
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
no
Yes. You speak for your own oil. but of course that's the point. Better answer would be maybe, if were talking gross visible stuff, but something will always settle out. Arguing otherwise assumes completely efficient filtration
Good luck with that.

Last edited:
They say air filters get dirtier by have a car sit. I would make a prefilter and if you are worrying that much change the filter, prefill your new filter and be done.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Several weeks no but long term it sure will. Prove it to yourself, drain your oil into a 5qt jug and leave it sitting, eventually you will find the sludge is on the bottom.

I found that out today when I cleaned out my 5 gallon used oil storage bucket.

Someone on here posted pics of clean, filtered well (using a good brand filter) used motor oil drained from the car and put into a clean jug.

After the oil settles for several weeks, there is a definite layer of S O M E T H I N G (dirt? sludge? or ????) on the bottom of the jug.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
They say air filters get dirtier by have a car sit. I would make a prefilter and if you are worrying that much change the filter, prefill your new filter and be done.

They say many things. A lot of the many things they say are utter bollocks, irrelevant or generally muddled.

The above seems to include elements of all three in a compact and bijou format.I paticularly liked the apparent reference to prefilling a new airfilter.

Another maintenance task I've neglected. The SHAME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back