hearing radio frequencies....type of tinnitus ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was younger I could tell if a TV was on or not, even if it was muted: I've always assumed it was because the PS was likely in the 20kHz region. Now with LCD's I no longer notice that.

I'm sure that they are taking this sort of thing into account, ferrites and capacitors exhibiting piezoelectric effects. I presume they are talking about hearing something while a long distance from the transmitter (a layer of tin foil stopping the phenomenon). But that would be my first thought...

I've heard that some people feel better when they are in areas with less RF.

It would actually be cool to build a house that has inherent faraday cage properties, although you'd have to change the way you used cellular phones.

I have tinnitus severely and there have been occasions at night when I think i hear a tv program or a radio from somewhere. My wife never hears it so I blame the tinnitus.

Originally Posted By: supton
When I was younger I could tell if a TV was on or not, even if it was muted: I've always assumed it was because the PS was likely in the 20kHz region. Now with LCD's I no longer notice that.

I'm sure that they are taking this sort of thing into account, ferrites and capacitors exhibiting piezoelectric effects. I presume they are talking about hearing something while a long distance from the transmitter (a layer of tin foil stopping the phenomenon). But that would be my first thought...

plasmas are still detectable.

When I was younger I could tell if a TV was on or not, even if it was muted: I've always assumed it was because the PS was likely in the 20kHz region.

The flyback in NTSC spec sets ran at about 15.75 Khz.

I've been around radio all my life, I hate to think what kind of RF pulse it would take to heat the innards of your head sufficiently to audibly perceive it.

My instinct is to call baloney, but, there is the deal of the Cuban commies and U. S. personnel with irreparable hearing damage, so maybe something like this has been perfected on political prisoners.

Late at night once the nighttime "silence" sets in (I've never actually experienced silence, so I wouldn't know this from experience) it sounds like a big diesel is parked out front idling. I was pretty confused for a while since I had moved into a new place until I figured out it was all in my head. The high frequency ringing has always been with me; it is just more noticeable during the night.

Most electronics and pretty much every piece of equipment in the factory I work emits a high frequency noise I've always been able to hear. I guess I'm going to be rolling out some aluminum foil tonight to find out if I'm a super-human or just messed up in the head as I've always assumed.

This is actually interesting. Some days when I'm driving (first noticed it in the Liberty) I heard some sort of noise that sounds like what a CD player does when it's reading a CD. That's the best way I could describe it. Figured it was the blower or something. I was driving the 15 Cherokee a few days later and heard the exact same thing. Didn't think much of it. Drove the LR3 a little later and it was still there! Last night I was in the bathroom getting ready for bed and that noise came back. Beginning to wonder if I might be developing tinnitus...wouldn't surprise me as a guitar player that plays loud.

Good question. Personally noticed this phenomenon recently in a very quiet environment- sounded like genuine 'airy noise' rather than being tonal in nature, quite different from the breeze normally blowing in my head
wink.gif
Hardly surprising or alarming, really. If it was EM related, it wouldn't be a far stretch. Our bodies are loaded with polar molecules, which respond by molecular alignment entrained to the switching frequency. The polar-fatty-acid-rich brain I'd imagine is plenty of suitable material to generate some type of neurological noise picked up by the auditory cortex- and other parts of the brain. On the warfare side of things, the non-sound auditory transmission technologies have long dropped out into the public domain. That's a real thing, so it's clear that EM can impart the sensation of audio (among other brain effects).

We're all basically bathing in an ever-deepening field of quickly-switching modulated EM radiation. According to known history, it's unprecedented. Anthropogenic EM emissions are a very different thing from the unmodulated, unswitched natural "DC" sources of various radiation that all life has prior evolved with. Very different. It's the difference between a light that's set on, or off and a light that is strobing at a specific effective frequency to one who is epileptically inclined. So of course, light is nothing new nor is it the risk- the risk is the relatively brand-spanking new manner in how it's modulated and employed, and the trending exponential rate of employment. And the EM bath is relentless.

Really gotta wonder though, if us humans are actually beginning to notice this type of phenomenon, without the genetic determination for EM hearing, then consider the creatures that actually do have EM senses, cetaceans for instance, what in the world are they hearing and at what volume?

I've had tinnitus my whole life. I used to think it was normal until I had a conversation with my dad years ago.

Though I don't do it, I've always felt SOME noise helped with the extra noise. Be it a fan, fish tank pump, cold air return, rain/ storms etc. It really is only an issue when I think about it though.

Me too. I still have sensitive ears even without those tvs and monitors making noise.

And sensitivity to those noises and being able to pick them out and hear them is different I think, then having super good hearing. I don't think my hearing is better than average, I just pick up on certain sounds better than others.

I also certainly don't have tinnitus, but if things are too quiet, like in the mountains, on a still, silent night, my ears actually hear nothing; it's almost like there's a reverse pressure or something. Tough to describe, perhaps the ears adjusting to the absence of sound, kind of like the body would adjust to the absence of gravity? I dunno...

I've read that one can hear oxygen hitting the eardrum? I found that hard to believe. But I've always heard "something" even when dead quiet, some sort of white noise. I don't know if it's a noisy transmission line or that I've always had some hearing damage.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
Late at night once the nighttime "silence" sets in (I've never actually experienced silence, so I wouldn't know this from experience) it sounds like a big diesel is parked out front idling. I was pretty confused for a while since I had moved into a new place until I figured out it was all in my head. The high frequency ringing has always been with me; it is just more noticeable during the night.

Most electronics and pretty much every piece of equipment in the factory I work emits a high frequency noise I've always been able to hear. I guess I'm going to be rolling out some aluminum foil tonight to find out if I'm a super-human or just messed up in the head as I've always assumed.

Real 'silence' is deafening!
Years back I stepped into a sound proof chamber, the professional sound meter I was holding dropped to about
25 dB or so from 55 dB in a 'quiet' office! I felt like there was a heavy blanket of broadband low level noise that
surrounded me and went thru me too. My pal said half of that is your own body noise conducted directly thru bone and
tissue into your ears! wow!

Just had a hearing test. I got the printout and hope to have a set of Phonaks tuned to it. I can deal with deafness. Tinnitus is constant every waking moment. Mr Geetar player. Get yerself some ear plugs. Best way to deal with tinnitus is prevention.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Win
My instinct is to call baloney, but, there is the deal of the Cuban commies and U. S. personnel with irreparable hearing damage, so maybe something like this has been perfected on political prisoners.

There are actually real cases of people who have tinnitus where the medicos with microphones can hear the same sound, so clearly it's not neurological in those cases, but a real noise being generated in their heads somehow (most theories are blood flow and muscle spasms)...COULD be some sort of piezo effect, I dunno.

I well remember as a kid hearing the T.V. at the other side of the house while I was trying to sleep, and the change in pitch from the switch being flicked to the thing being at temperature....plus Dad changing valves and the like back in the day (more recently, when we bought a house with an old valve/tube TV, playing donkey kong country IIRC was amazing).

These days, lie in bed, and it's the noise that you hear at an airport, with the plane sitting on the Auxilliary power unit...24/7, and the last 30+ years that I know of.

We get hearing tests at work every two years...I've lost 15dB at the high end, nothing at the low end. Amazing for power station lifer at 49 YO at the time...the degradation is in the natural, not damaged range.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
We get hearing tests at work every two years...I've lost 15dB at the high end, nothing at the low end. Amazing for power station lifer at 49 YO at the time...the degradation is in the natural, not damaged range.

I'm assuming you guys wear adequate hearing protection when necessary? I wear ear plugs if I'm doing anything that's noisier than a loud TV, and think it's saved my hearing over the year. I'll even wear ear plugs if I'm just mowing the lawn.

Yeah, had a really good role model when commissioning the power station.

Ebara are the manufacturer of the boiler feed pumps (10,000hp drive turbines for them, or a 12,000hp electric motor)....their "bearing guy" came across from Japan to listen to the bearings on run-up with the old brass listening sticks...stone deaf in conversation but could "hear" the machines through the listening stick as it ran up.

No hearing protection, and the pumps are 117dB.

None of us wanted that.

Mowing, I haven't done it without ear protection since I moved out of home...when I was a kid, there was no ear protection available at home, or dustmasks as Dad sawed through A/C sheeting...or safety glasses for that matter.

Not in my place with my kids.

Good man ... eyes and ears are worth saving. My neighbor (same age as me) never wears ear plugs ... he does power washing, lawn mowing, leaf blowing, etc all summer long and I never see him wearing ear or eye protection. He's also going deaf as I have to speak loudly and repeat myself a lot for him to communicate. I was watching TV at his place once and the TV was up super loud, so I'm assuming it was because his hearing is going bad - probably from years of not protecting his ears from loud noises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back