Vibe; 1ZZ-FE, under vc, 265k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the original valve cover gasket, and timing chain tensioner over the weekend. The VC gasket around the spark plugs was very hard and brittle, cracked apart upon removal.

I'm the original owner. It's been very reliable. Only other non original parts on the car are intake gasket, and struts. Other than wear items of course; brake pads, battery, etc. Car has had all different types of oil. But the last couple years it's had Rural King synthetic, and cheap oil filters, changed at about 5-6k miles. Still drives like new. Original O2 sensors, mpg same as original. Maxlife ATF; changed every 30-40k miles, or if it starts to look darker.

Looks great especially for the mileage! Still using the 5w20 spec? That's on my to do list soon along with the Timing chain tensioner
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GlazeB
Looks great especially for the mileage! Still using the 5w20 spec? That's on my to do list soon along with the Timing chain tensioner
smile.gif

Thanks... Have always used 5w/30. That was spec'ed for this engine.

What year is this one?

A matrix/vibe is on my radar for my next commuter car.. so since you have logged a bunch of miles..

Is it a comfortable ride? Is highway and road noise bad? Does it struggle on hills and mountains?

Maintenance easy? Transmission pan have a plug?

From what I remember when you hit 299999 on the odo you are stuck there right?

Engine looks great . Congrats on doing a great job maintaining your Vib ! :)

You plan on driving it as long as possible ?

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
The VC gasket around the spark plugs was very hard and brittle, cracked apart upon removal.

I was surprised at how brittle and plasticy that was on my wife's Corolla's 1ZZ-FE also. I wasn't ready for it and ended up having to carefully fish out some shrapnel.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
What year is this one?

A matrix/vibe is on my radar for my next commuter car.. so since you have logged a bunch of miles..

Is it a comfortable ride? Is highway and road noise bad? Does it struggle on hills and mountains?

Maintenance easy? Transmission pan have a plug?

From what I remember when you hit 299999 on the odo you are stuck there right?

It's a 2004. I guess some of that is subjective. It's all I drive, so I'm use to it. Good tires help a lot with road noise. I think it has plenty of power, but I'm not afraid to put it to the floor if needed...
grin.gif

Maintenance couldn't be easier. Trans has a plug, and the pan can be dropped easily if needed. I replaced the filter around 200k, but probably didn't need to. Oil filter is right up front, and mounted vertically, super easy to remove.

I think odometer will stop at 299,999. Guess I'll use the trip odometer, and a pad of paper..
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Engine looks great . Congrats on doing a great job maintaining your Vib ! :)

You plan on driving it as long as possible ?

Thanks. Yeah, I plan on seeing how far it goes... We'll see

you can't ask for better. at that age, any design flaws and maintenance flaws will have not only shone but usually send it to the crusher. I'll bet you've never even had to regap the valves? Fantastic.

Great job!

...If this is what I have to look forward to....I welcome it.

I am 37K miles behind you and I will technically catch you at 299,999 miles. Other than oil & ATF and tire changes, I haven't had to do a thing to it....LOL I am still on my factory brakes and battery. Has had PP since 600 miles.

These cars are boringly, ridiculously, reliable.

2004 had the changes from the 98-02 years which were notorious for consuming oil and getting all fudged up.. Obvously makes a difference. looks great!

My daughter had a 2005 matrix for a couple of years. Of all of the vehicles that I have maintained over the years this one is my favourite. It seems it was designed with easy maintenance in mind. Today's cars should be like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back