ABS and Traction lights on? 2015 Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after a few nice days of driving the Charger, my last startup presented this issue. 2 chimes and the ABS and Traction lights lit up on my dash. Doing some googling the most likely culprit is perhaps a ABS wheel sensor.

None of the parts stores have a scanner that can determine what the issue is or which sensor is causing the issue so it looks like a trip to the dealer is in order. I’m just a couple hundred miles over the 36k warranty. Figures right?

Any idea what I’m looking at $$ wise if it is indeed a sensor?

Not much, probably $100-200. If you complain enough they'll warranty it, the dealer has some leeway.

Last edited:
If you have time , jack up each wheel , one at a time . Do a visual of the wheel sensor and wiring . You may discover the defect yourself .

Also , look for leaks .

I would still try to get it fixed under warranty .

As for as ABS codes , I do not know if they persist , once you turn off the ignition switch .

But , first , check to determine if you are low on brake fluid .

Surprisingly the rear uses very inexpensive external sensors the front are built into the hub, an SKF front hub is about $160 at rock.
For some reason many ABS tools have a tough time reading Chrysler products. Do you know anyone with a real scan tool? You could always pull each wheel and check the resistance. Ask the dealer first they might take care of it under goodwill.

Well I went to the shop that I usually have all my work done at to see if he could pull the code:

It came back with this:

C003462 Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor Signal Compare Failure

He told me to check with Dodge to see if they will cover it, if not check back with him. I'm wondering what my odds are with the dealer believing me that is what the problem is. I know they will probably want to do their own scan and get that diagnostic fee.

Anyone familiar with this code? I'm not to warm and fuzzy about the Dodge service departments in my area but....I did find a TSB for incorrectly mounted front sensor wires but my car has a build date of 3-15 so not sure if this applies or not. Looks like I may be able to turn the tires and take a look

https://chrysler.oemdtc.com/587/incorrec...5-dodge-charger

Then again I have no idea why the way it is mounted would cause a code to be thrown. That probably isn't it

Sounds like you've found your culprit. I'd definitely pressure your dealer to cover it given the age of the vehicle.

Did you look at the wire? Seems that it could be seen with the car on the ground by turning the wheels all the way to one side.

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose
Then again I have no idea why the way it is mounted would cause a code to be thrown. That probably isn't it

Just take off the wheel and take a look at it. A simple problem would be a wiring problem or the sensor is loose/dirty or maybe it's just broken.

My guess is if improperly mounted, there is stress or water incursion and it breaks the connection, requiring a new sensor. Which really should be covered.

If you find it is wrong, don't touch it, go directly to the dealer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mk378
My guess is if improperly mounted, there is stress or water incursion and it breaks the connection, requiring a new sensor. Which really should be covered.

If you find it is wrong, don't touch it, go directly to the dealer.

I did pop it off to see if I could get it to sit like the correct way but it didn't look right so I put it back.

I took a pic to show you guys how it looks and in looking at the pic I can see a little split in the sheathing (at least it looks that way to me) I wonder if this is the issue? The moisture you see is probably from the roadway as I was out driving just before I took the picture

Also I'm not sure it that if that link applies to me now that I re-read it. It mentions AWD Police vehicles which is not mine

That is indeed wrong, and the sensor cable is damaged because of it. You deserve a free replacement from Dodge.

Yes it sort of doesn't look right with the wheel side facing up, but the engineers wanted it that way for a reason and the assembly line people ignored them.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if that link provided applies to my car or not. I looked back at it and it says Police AWD vehicles although I do have the HD Brakes

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Sounds like you've found your culprit. I'd definitely pressure your dealer to cover it given the age of the vehicle.

Absolutely and it should not be a problem as long as it's a warranted part...

The date code and the 3-letter sales code would indicate if your car is covered. You could still have the "police HD brakes" without a full police car build.

So I brought the car into the dealer yesterday. Of course after having the service lights illuminated on my dash for 3 days they decided to go out on my way to the dealer. Are you kidding me??? lol

I get there and explain to them the code that my shop pulled and how it went out on the way. They took the car back and I guess were able to pull a stored code and did determine that I needed a new abs wheel sensor. I was on a little bit of pins and needles as they said it could be anything from a hub to the whole ABS module etc

Anyways they said they will file a goodwill claim warranty since I was about 380 miles past the 36K warranty. They ordered the sensor and they should get it in a couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back