Ditching the OEM intake on a turbo diesel engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
for the love of God, don't drive it without a filter to "test". You are allowing it to ingest the filth the filter is keeping out!

Just one power run on a clean road, that's all it takes (1 kilometer)
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Superflan
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
for the love of God, don't drive it without a filter to "test". You are allowing it to ingest the filth the filter is keeping out!

Just one power run on a clean road, that's all it takes (1 kilometer)
smile.gif

You would be surprised what it can pick up in that short run
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Might as well throw your $$ down a rat hole.Stay with the OEM.

What about adding a prefilter ? I'm thinking of really going that route

Originally Posted By: meep
That stock plumbing is really nice, and is true cold air. Aftermarket will be a step backwards.

What are the purpose of the different small chambers along the tract before the filter? Tone tune?

I don't trust them. You can spec dimensions but not airflow/filtration balance

You can choose media, dry or wet. Each is balanced differently

That stock plumbing is really nice, and is true cold air. Aftermarket will be a step backwards.

What are the purpose of the different small chambers along the tract before the filter? Tone tune?

I'm not an automotive engineer, but if I had to wager a guess, I'd say it's that way to provide a particular velocity/flow rate.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon

I'm not an automotive engineer, but if I had to wager a guess, I'd say it's that way to provide a particular velocity/flow rate.

I'm dubious of this on a turbocharged engine
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Silk
Superflan What are the purpose of the different small chambers along the tract before the filter? Tone tune? Helmholtz chambers ? [/quote said:
That's exactly what it is, a resonance chamber to prevent whistling.

Last edited:
The size of those chambers varies also depending on make and model. VW uses some that are much larger, I have also heard them referred to as as a rubens tubes which is incorrect like every water control valve at one time was commonly known as a Ranco valve.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The size of those chambers varies also depending on make and model.

The size of those chambers depends on what frequencies they are targeting.

I had a silicone pipe with 2 angles in my [censored]. Once fitted in place of the OEM duct, the intake drones loudly at certain RPMs. Certainly that's why those chambers are here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back