Mobil 1 EP and AP for 6-10k drains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
I've been running M1 0w20 AFE in my Honda for a few years now and have always had great UOAs, and have typically done 6-10k intervals. I'm now starting to get the itch to try one of the other flavors of M1, either Extended Performance or Annual Protection. My reasoning is that even though AFE has served me well so far, perhaps one of the other two choices might help keep the engine a bit cleaner inside and with only one oil change per year the cost isn't that much higher for me (especially if I go with EP which is only usually $3 more per jug than AFE) Also, knowing that EP and AP have a higher level of PAO in it gives me the warm and fuzzies.
smile.gif

So would I really see the benefit of EP or AP over AFE even though I'm not doing the 15-20k intervals that those two oils are designed for? And which of those two choices would you pick?

No. What benefit do you expect to see at that interval? Is M1 AFE not keeping your engine clean? I'd use EP, it has the higher PAO content, IIRC. Plus that might be beneficial in your cold winters.

You know I've seen just a few of the new AP UOA's and frankly I really wasn't impressed they showed no better wear metal etc. than the regular Mobil 1 or their EP. Presently in see no real value in Mobil AP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volk06
No. What benefit do you expect to see at that interval? Is M1 AFE not keeping your engine clean?

Without taking off the valve cover, it's hard to say for sure but I figure that EP and AP must have better detergent packages in order to justify the higher price tag.

M1 EP,. 5w/30. Look at the zinc and prosperous ppm. Compare it to 0/20. I'm switching my Accord to 5/30: I do not need a 0/20 for my climate that I live in and if you look in Europe they say 0-30 or 5/30. Same 4cly engine

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: volk06
No. What benefit do you expect to see at that interval? Is M1 AFE not keeping your engine clean?

Without taking off the valve cover, it's hard to say for sure but I figure that EP and AP must have better detergent packages in order to justify the higher price tag.

Even with 0-20AFE my 2007 Fusion was like new clean at 200K when I replaced the VC. For what you want(short OCIs) just stick with AFE or EP. All M1 oils will give you long lasting service.

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
M1 EP,. 5w/30. Look at the zinc and prosperous ppm. Compare it to 0/20. I'm switching my Accord to 5/30: I do not need a 0/20 for my climate that I live in and if you look in Europe they say 0-30 or 5/30. Same 4cly engine

I'm not planning on going with 5w30 in this engine ever, I'm sticking with 0w20. It doesn't get super cold here (below 0F) all that often but I still think 0w20 is the best choice for this engine. 0w40 is also a no go.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
You know I've seen just a few of the new AP UOA's and frankly I really wasn't impressed they showed no better wear metal etc, than the regular Mobil 1 or their EP. Presently I see no real value in Mobil AP.

Interesting!
coffee2.gif

Personally, I see real no value running a more expensive oil that consistently shows higher levels, or higher than average levels of wear metals in their UOAS.

These same, less expensive oils also also run quieter in most engines. Is that a coincidence?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
Even with 0-20AFE my 2007 Fusion was like new clean at 200K when I replaced the VC. For what you want(short OCIs) just stick with AFE or EP. All M1 oils will give you long lasting service.

Good to know! I'm leaning towards EP simply because it's not that more expensive than AFE and I am itching to try something new but I want to stick with Mobil 1. If there is a really good sale on AP at some point between now and my next oil change though, I could be swayed in that direction. There must be something unique about AP to justify it's higher price tag, even if we haven't seen evidence in UOAs here just yet (but we all know UOAs don't tell the entire story too)

You know I've seen just a few of the new AP UOA's and frankly I really wasn't impressed they showed no better wear metal etc. than the regular Mobil 1 or their EP. Presently in see no real value in Mobil AP.

Mobil says it has "unsurpassed" wear protection "According to the industry-accepted Sequence IVA engine wear test." Without that I doubt a $30 Blackstone UOA will show much, just as a UOA never does for "wear".

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Mobil says it has "unsurpassed" wear protection "According to the industry-accepted Sequence IVA engine wear test." Without that I doubt a $30 Blackstone UOA will show much, just as a UOA never does for "wear".

LOL I don't put a lot of value in the seller says HYPE!

Consistent BITOG users with 400K to 500K would be much more convincing.

Last edited:

Well sure, but you put enough value in the UOA to reject the purchase of that oil. I'd put more value in their claim of a superior Sequence IVA engine wear test than a UOA.

Consistent BITOG users with 400K to 500K would be much more convincing.

Sometimes you just have to have faith. If we all waited for others to have 400k on an oil before we tried it, we would never get to try anything.

Well sure, but you put enough value in the UOA to reject the purchase of that oil. I'd put more value in their claim of a superior Sequence IVA engine wear test than a UOA.

Well, who wouldn't? I mean, it's not like the big companies would ever lie to us or not tell us the whole story, whereas independent, nothing to gain companies like to do that all the time as they have so much to gain from fabricating something up.
coffee2.gif

If you have to use something else, just use the EP.
While you probably will have little to no difference vs AFE, at least it is not that much more expensive.
AP would be no benefit for you interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back