Shell Advance Ultra 4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ducati owner's manual as well as the sticker on the engine instructs the owner to use Shell Advance Ultra 4 in 20W-50.

This oil isn't available in the US. Does anyone know of a synthetic with similar properties? I ran a search and Amsoil appears in the five or so results that were returned.

welcome.gif
Paulo.

What do they put in them at Duc dealerships? Kind of difficult to determine a substitute if the recommended version is an unknown. The MSDS for Advance Ultra 4T in 10w40 indicates it is a synthetic blend with appx 15 to 20% Group IV base oil. Who knows if 20w50 has the same formulations. If all else fails the M1 V-Twin 20w50 would always be a good choice, but Amsoil and Red Line should be extremely good alternatives as well.

quote:

Originally posted by doyall:

What do they put in them at Duc dealerships? Kind of difficult to determine a substitute if the recommended version is an unknown. The MSDS for Advance Ultra 4T in 10w40 indicates it is a synthetic blend with appx 15 to 20% Group IV base oil. Who knows if 20w50 has the same formulations. If all else fails the M1 V-Twin 20w50 would always be a good choice, but Amsoil and Red Line should be extremely good alternatives as well. [/qb]

The local dealership tells me I can put anything in the crankcase
dunno.gif
Conventional, synthetic blend, synthetic. because they're a Honda/Duc dealership, my guess is they put in whatever Honda oil is on the shelf.

I tried looking for an MSDS or any spec sheet for 20w-50 at Shell's european web sites, but no luck.

I'm definitely going to stick with a synthetic.

Oh, and thanks for the comments and the welcome lights!

[ October 14, 2003, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: paulo57509 ]

Ducati engines are easy on oil because the valvetrain is not loaded at all and the transmission has its own lubricant if I'm not mistaken.
However air cooled engines typically enjoy single grade, 15W40s, 20W50 minerals, or 15W50 synthetics.
Gotta' love the sound of those Ducks when they pass....
BBBBbbbbVVOOOooooooooooooooooo

One of my old retail accounts in Cullman Alabama - "Dixie Sports Plus" - sold both Duces and Moto Guzzi Bikes. They used the Amsoil 20w-50 motorcycle oil as their shop oil for several seasons and also raced a 748 Supersport using the 20w-50. They thought the product worked very well and the race bike showed very low wear after 15 races. Drain intervals were typically in the 6000-7500 mile range.

I also sold them some of the Amsoil 10w-40 high performance oil for cold weather use and it worked fine as well.

Tooslick

Just an update:

I lied and went with Mobil 1 V-Twin 20w-50. I plan to do an oil analysis on a virgin sample (with Blackstone Labs) and post the results.

Thanks again everyone!

doyall:

Thanks for the link. No, I didn't send the sample out yet. The sample kit from Blackstone showed up just last weekend and I haven't been out to play in the garage yet.

Ducati engines might be easy on oil (never heard of this before), but they're not easy on themselves.

My main reason for going synthetic is for the clinging ability (don't really now if this has been verified or not) that synthetics are said to have after engine shut down. Because of the way oil is plumbed to the valve train, it can take around 90 seconds of running for the cams and rockers to see oil. I'd like the cam/rocker surfaces to have some oil film on them during that first start-up of the day.

I sample my oil on my superbike every 1,000 miles. I am using Mobil 1 15W50 during summer months and Mobil 1 0-40 for the end of season so when she starts up at the beginning of the next season oil gets up quickly to the rockers etc.. I get both at cost and the 20W50 is a great product it offers or provides the same protection as the car formulation for 1/2 the money. So far I have 6,000 miles on the bike and none of them have come back bad. I did use some Honda HP-4 which is a blend it didnt test wel after only 600 miles with NO track days on the oil. Some guys in our Ducati club track my competitor down who is a Shell Salesman and he couldnt get the product imported to the states so they use the Mobil 1 v-twin. I just give it to them at my cost.

I am considering using the new Mobil 1 5W50 Rally car formulation or the new Mobil 1 5W40 SUV formula. Waiting till they hit the market. We have a new racing oi 0w0 but at $16.00 + a quart I doubt that ill be using that.

scooter996,
welcome.gif
Do you have any information on the new Mobil 1 R 0w-30 racing oil?

That product has been surprising kept under wraps for sometime. I just found out 2 month ago and have yet to any Product Data Sheets regarding this product come across my desk. I also dont have info on the MOBIL 1 RALLY CAR 5W50, yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back