What F150 engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: muddawgs
Your best bet is to go on the f150 forums and research the EB's for failure trends of the stretched timing chain, phasers, internal water pump leak into the oil pan, thrown rods from slighlty overfilled oil, cac filling up with water, carbon etc.. Some of those maybe fixed now but it seems very hit and miss from some. From the issues my f inlaw has had on his 16 3.5, i would pass on the EB if it was a long term keeper vehicle. If it's a lease then have fun.

EB 3.5 in the F150 does not have an internal water pump. I do hang out in the F150 forums and yes there have been issues, they should be fixed by now. I believe the timing chain stretch was fixed by 2015 - IIRC it was a combination of phasers and casting debris. Same with the CAC - fixed by 13 and the TSB fixes for most. The rest don't seem to be trends.

Originally Posted By: Danno
If I were putting my money down on a new Ford F150, I would go with the 5.0L.
I wouldn't want to own the twin turbos after warranty is up.
This is after running 100s of Ford trucks in a very large fleet, gasoline and diesel.

+1

I would buy an F150 with the GM 6.2L in it if i could. The 5.0 may not be better than the 3.5 for most people. If you short trip your truck a lot i would probably get the V8. If you want to 'hyper mile' or drive gently all the time i would get the 3.5 for the "eco" part. From my observations, when the 'boost' part happens you no longer get the 'eco' part. Or when its worked hard the efficiency is less than the V8. If you want to buy a "forever truck" that you will try and get decades out of, get the 5.0. Getting all that torque out of the V6 has got to cost some life of the pistons rings bearings.

For entertainment sake, if your F150 wears out at 250k miles, and you save the EPA 1.5 mpg, that is 1192 gallons of fuel saved. That money could be wiped away with turbo replacement. Perhaps the 5.0 runs another 50k miles over the 3.5. Maybe they both could run forever with top notch bitog care.

If i was buying one today i would have a really hard time deciding too.

I might be a little biased, but the 5.0 would be my choice, especially if you are towing less than 5000. Get it with the 3.55 rear axle with the electronic locker. I average 18-19 mpg as a daily driver. I don't tow much either, except a 13 foot Jon Boat and trailer. I chose to get a slightly used 16, as it had conventional fuel injection and no start/stop. Very smooth and sounds pretty good too.

Dave

Thanks for all the feedback. I saw that video, too, 2dogs. The two guys who picked the 3.5 did it because of the power and it was new. The older guys who have been around the block all picked the 5.0.

I'm going to get the 5.0. Hearing that is a better daily driver, especially if you don't tow a lot, did it for me. Plus the perceived better reliability. Going to

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Thanks for all the feedback. I saw that video, too, 2dogs. The two guys who picked the 3.5 did it because of the power and it was new. The older guys who have been around the block all picked the 5.0.

I'm going to get the 5.0. Hearing that is a better daily driver, especially if you don't tow a lot, did it for me. Plus the perceived better reliability. Going to

I'd do the same thing if I wanted to keep it long term.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: klt1986
Originally Posted By: wallyuwl

I'd do the same thing if I wanted to keep it long term.

+1

I thought Ford touted the EB for occasional (albeit heavy) towing? For routine towing they were saying to go 5.0. That's my recollection, albeit from a few years ago. I'm not sure how much they meant it then, and if it was a problem we'd have heard of it by now.

Might as well get the V8. Might be one of the last, no?

Ended up finalizing the deal today. Got it for $1000 under invoice, plus $6500 in rebates including factory to dealer certificates and college student/grad discount. $40,293 plus $149 dealer fee and TTL.

Buying from a small dealer in an adjacent town who already got the OK to dealer trade for it. Dealers are only 15 miles apart.

http://www.bergstromneenahford.com/new/Ford/2018-Ford-F-150-3d6c1c100a0e0adf61d8b80f3382e4ce.htm?searchDepth=1:9

Good luck with the new truck! An friend bought a new 5.0 F150 fairly recently. He's gone on a few long trips with it. LOVES it!

Congratulations. That's one sharp looking truck. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either engine - just depends on your needs and what you like.

You did pretty well on price. Only thing missing on your option list in my mind is the 36 gallon gas tank... I know I enjoy mine!

Enjoy the truck! (and you would have been fine with either engine - nice to have choices).

Going to pick it up either tomorrow afternoon if I have time, or else Friday late afternoon. Still deciding on whether to get a cap or foldable tonneau cover. Can go look at caps on Thursday probably.

Anyone have spray-on-bedliner material done on the wheel wells? Thinking of doing that instead of plastic wheel well liners, the price is the same.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
The 5.0 is just a complex an engine as the 3.5 Eco-Boost, just minus the turbo chargers (dual overhead cams, 4 valve, variable valve timing, and dual injection). When I purchased my F150, I drove nearly identical (even the color) 2013 XLT's with each engine and the 3.5 Eco-Boost was clearly the better truck engine with strong pulling from low in the rpm's versus the 5.0 needing to wind up to get to the power (which was good once you got there). The turbo chargers are water cooled so you aren't going to have the issues that 1980's turbo engines have. Turbo chargers in diesel engines run many hundred thousand miles easily and there is no reason to believe these eco-boost turbochargers will not do the same.

The 10R really helped the 5.0, more so than the EB.
Also, regarding longevity it also comes down to power density, a naturally aspirated engine will generally last longer and provide better leak down results than an engine that has been having 15+ psi shoved down it's throat for 200K.

It's not like the EcoBoost is structurally stonger than the 5.0, in fact the reverse is true.
Stock 5.0 long blocks have been holding 700+ rwhp for years now, I've seen rod and head gasket failures from 3.5 EBs at less than 500rw.

From the driver's seat, the 2018 5.0 feels stronger than the 2018 3.5 EB.
I'd also argue that the 5.0 is one of the best all around small block architectures ever made.

The 5.0 gets my vote, especially in 2018.

I elected to use the Ford plastic wheel well liners. I've been happy with them to date. Install was easy, and they provide enough coverage for my tastes. They also work fine with the Ford splash guards.

Husky wheel well liners give more coverage, but at the time I was buying there were a lot of complaints about fit and not working well with some splash guards.

Can't comment on the bed liner being applied in that area.

Congrats on the new truck. You will be happy with the 5.0L. My work truck is a 2013 5.0L and my personal truck is a 2014 3.5L EcoBoost. They are both more than adequate engines. They have both been updated since those years for more torque and HP. The low end power of the 3.5L amazes me each day and I have been driving one since October 2011. I personally love the engine and I believe it has its place, which is not for everyone. IMO, the 3.5L EcoBoost is significant overkill for the average F150 owner. The few people who will benefit from it are those who occasionally pull heavy loads, but don't want step up to an F250 and don't want the poor fuel mileage of the big V8 in the F250. Yes, the EcoBoost will get poor mileage when towing, but when not towing, it is good on gas.

FWIW, I am somewhat old school and had significant difficulty admitting that I voluntarily bought an F150 with a V6.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back