Where do you keep your oil level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the oil in cars stay at the full line always my little car doesn't consume any but my truck does i keep it topped off till it's time to change oil.

In all my vehicles, I keep the level right up to the "Full" mark on the dipstick.
laugh.gif

I feel this is a great way to track if any of the vehicles suddenly start to have Oil consumption issues.

I keep my wife's prius in the middle-- read somewhere this helps MPG.

Everything else sits right up top.

I have to admit that I usually shoot for the F mark and end up overfilling just a tiny bit.
Neither car that I am doing changes for has noticeable consumption (both Subarus, imagine that!) and the readings stay just above F until the next change.

Bring it to the FULL line at an oil change.
ADD when I see it's 1/4 way down from FULL.
The family's vehicles have never used much oil.

SENTIMENTAL NOTE: Dad's 1970 Mercury Monterey w/4002V V8 used NO OIL.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I put mine right at "Full" or 1/8" over and pretty much never add any oil throughout the entire OCI.

Same here

I like it at full but I don't sweat it. I think my '99 5S-FE has the low mark 0.5qt below full, so just dumping in a quart doesn't make sense--on other vehicles that's what I'd likely do, wait until it needs a quart and add it. Or just do an oil change (it'd be nice to time such things). This car, when it gets low, I add half qt, but not until then.

Most engines can tolerate a quart over, so when I do an oil change I'll round up a bit. Most, maybe not all, but the ones I've had didn't care. I guess you could say I aim for at full, or slightly over.

Originally Posted By: Patman
I am surprised nobody has mentioned this but here are my reasons for keeping it at the full mark or even slightly above. I figure that with a higher amount of oil, that means there is less overall stress on the oil, it'll retain it's TBN longer, and any contamination in the oil will be more diluted with the higher amount, especially in the engines that only hold 4 quarts to begin with. Imagine running that down to 3.5 or even 3, that's a significant amount to be down.

And just the practice of constantly topping off the oil with fresh oil to keep it full, means you're freshening up the cleaning ability of the oil. If you just fill it at the start of the interval and then never top it off and let it get down to the low end, you're not getting the benefit of that fresh oil working for you along the way. You can almost look at it like a partial oil change if you're adding a quart of oil during the interval.

And some people do double/multiple OCs using the same oil filter without taking it off and at least draining that used/spent oil out of there.
coffee2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back