Michigan accepts Canada's trash in landfills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michigan was once a rich state that had the ability to generate wealth with no need to allow huge landfills to absorb others trash.
This should be a cautionary tale of what happens to poorer states as well as why states shouldn't allow wildly excessive landfill capacity.
We have a couple of trash mountains in this part of Ohio. I shudder at the thought of having to live near one.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Michigan now has the worst roads in the continental 48 and closing the gap quickly on the worst city waters to drink.
Thank you Gov Snyder .... OMG!

Even thirty years ago, you didn't need any signs to know that you'd passed from OH into MI.
The dramatic decline in road surface quality announced your entry into Michigan, so this is nothing new.
Now, why a state with plenty of fresh and fairly clean lake water at its disposal should have drinking water quality issues is a mystery to me.

That's been a thing like forever. What do you think they pave our roads with?
crazy.gif

The linked Detroit Free Press article makes it clear why this is topical today as well as what's behind it.
Canadian trash exports growth may be outpacing Canadian oil exports growth.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
This was news ten years ago. What made it topical today? There must be something behind it.

The article points out it picked up again unfortunately.

What ? I have nothing against Canada or Canadians . But you would think they have a low enough population density and large enough land mass yo find some where to bury their own trash .

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I wonder if Mexico takes trash from th USA?

They do, but it's tough to throw it over the wall.
On a serious note, I know that certain hazardous recyclables, like lead acid batteries used to be and might still be exported to Mexico to take advantage of a looser regulatory regime.
After all, what's a little lead oxide laced sulfuric acid poured down a hill and into a stream that supplies drinking water as well as a little lead vapor in the air from open fire melt kettles?

Pretty old news, but that's free trade, Baby!! You haven't noticed how the wealth generated from these transactions has trickled (or gushed) down to the masses?

On the other hand, once we've squeezed the last cubic foot of methane out of these piles, maybe someone will have figured out the feasible refining processes needed to turn the landfills into sustainable mining operations. Here's hoping, anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Canada has less people per square mile and needs to do this?

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
What ? I have nothing against Canada or Canadians . But you would think they have a low enough population density and large enough land mass yo find some where to bury their own trash .

Some 80% of Canadians live within 200 miles of the US border (most of the other 20% is Edmonton) and that 200 mile distance along the border is at least as densely populated as the US.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/04/17/canada-empty-maps_n_5169055.html

50% of us live in the red regions:

uX8Loji.png

(The white areas are landfill.) :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back