TPMS sensor bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the sensors is bad on the Silverado. The "Service Tire pressure monitor system" message came across the message center.

I'm going to assume that it is best to replace all four since if one is bad then the others probably aren't to far behind.

Question is, is there a any good aftermarket brands for this vehicle. I'm finding prices ranging from $50 to $150 for a set of 4 online. Are all the brands able to be programmed by the local tire shop?

Thanks!

Me personally would change all 4 like light bulbs when one fails the others are usually not far behind. if for nothing else to make it a one stop job not going back every time another one goes out, that gets old fast.

Yes the tire store should be able to activate the new ones on this but ask first.

I'd let the shop supply them. With as finicky as the system is, any issues you bring it back till it's right.

I've read that the batteries in them last about 6-7 years. On my 2009 honda i started getting the light occasionally especially when cold. I waited until I needed tires and then had discount tire replace them all. Just wanted to save the cost of dismount and mount/balance. They were competitive priced and it made sense to do it when i put on the new tires.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
One of the sensors is bad on the Silverado. The "Service Tire pressure monitor system" message came across the message center.

I'm going to assume that it is best to replace all four since if one is bad then the others probably aren't to far behind.

Question is, is there a any good aftermarket brands for this vehicle. I'm finding prices ranging from $50 to $150 for a set of 4 online. Are all the brands able to be programmed by the local tire shop?

Thanks!

I thought I'd replace all 4, but just replaced 1, 3 yrs ago and the rest are still OK, go figure - and on a '09 Impala
no less! I got a TPMS scanner that lets me check pressure, temperature and battery level before I switch winter to summer tires!

The GM dealer pricing on sensors is competitive so I buy there, the issue is other sellers can wind up buying older
stock from an overly long 'gray' supply/distribution chain and selling to you. GM dealers move a lot of these so you'll get a fresh one!

Originally Posted By: Dylan1303
Walmart tle has them for 30$ a peice and there e-z- sensor brand
Does that include programming?

Originally Posted By: Ducked
No TPMS sensor: GOOD

So you pick something up in your tire on the Interstate-and it starts a slow leak-the (pressure drops) TPMS comes on and tells you there is a problem-you inspect the tire and either head to the repair place or change to the spare. The tire is saved and not "run flat" requiring a new tire-depending on the vehicle (AWD) could even mean 4 tires.

How is the above NOT a good scenario for TPMS?

BTW-the above as happened to me and saved the tire from beyond repair.

Last edited:
How low can it get before you can tell the difference in ride feel and handling? It's not like a tire run at -10psi will be trashed inside of 1,000 miles--and one should probably be checking more often than that. Don't need a fancy sensor for that.

Of course, just because the light comes on doesn't mean one actually does anything about it. Wife noticed her TPMS light on--pulled out of the driveway--made it ten or fifteen feet before she realized it was dead flat. [One of my kids walked right past it, kids are oblivious!] Same car likes to trigger TPMS system faults while we are driving, so we ignore the light when it comes on.

I've pointed out to coworkers that they seem to have a low tire. "Oh yeah, I noticed the light, I figured I'd take it to a shop at lunchtime and see what is up." Most people are just going to motor on when the light flips on. Car is still running and moving--how bad can it be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back