Rotella 15w40 or 5w40 T6

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to me 1993 AM General M35A3.
Cat 3116 170 HP turbo. 6k miles since overhaul in 2012.
Doing my 1st OFL. Use T6 in all my stuff (quads/pwc/lawn tractor, etc).
What would you use in the Cat 3116? 15w40 or the 5w40 T6?
Thanks

Neat truck!

If you run T6 elsewhere, it seems simple to use it... but could be a lot more expensive if it's got a huge sump. I can't imagine this will see many miles or very cold starts. Compression should be good given age, etc. so absolutely nothing wrong with the 15w-40 version...

Of the two I'd say the T4.
But my real vote would be for ST; save the money, as the engine won't care in the least.

Yep … saw Delo and Delvac for $10/$11 a gallon this morning …
You should be able to change it sitting in a lawn chair?

I ran a turbo Cat 3116 for 3 years in Canada/Michigan winters and used Rotella 15w-40 the entire time. Back in those days - NO ONE ran a synthetic diesel oil.

Oil in this case doesn't matter.
What does matter is that the engine gets a solid work-out once in a while.
Find lots of steep mountain roads to run lots of boost to keep the engine happy.
(or find some reasons to pull a heavy trailer)

If you can get it, that Harvest King 5 gallon bucket for $31.99 is looking pretty good. Although waiting for the Mobil Delvac 1300 $35 off 5 gallon rebate is a good option too!

Nice truck. What are you going to do with it?

Any HDEO on sale
smile.gif

Reading these great replies from the Walmart parking lot. Looks like Rotella 1540. Then off to Napa for filters. I've got a drum of 80w90 so I'll probably do the diffs today also.
Thanks for the replies.

Finished the OFL.
The Tech Manuals state 19 qts as the crankcase capacity, not sure if that includes the 2 qt filter.
I used 5/1 gal Rotella containers leaving 1 qt in the last one.
Napa 1791 2qt oil filter. Started and ran for 10 minutes.
Lubed the chassis, lost count at 25 fittings.
Opened each differential and the oil looked new.
But....at 19 qts(per the manual and placard on the dash) it reads overfilled on
the oil dipstick. At least 1" above the full mark. I have checked the oil level several
times in the 2 months I have owned it and never noticed it being overfilled.
Might the oil dipstick be the wrong one? I'll run it again tomorrow and look for signs of aeration
on the dipstick if in fact it is overfilled.
Probably start looking for a part # stamped on the dipstick and see if I can verify it's the correct one.
Any thoughts from the members here?

p.s I own a quick lube.

Last edited:
We used to buy blank dip sticks and mark them after we had verified the pan part number and the actual fill (Cummins mostly). Had too many dip sticks that just did not read right ...

Last edited:
I've read the same with the Cat 3116 in marine applications.
I found the NSN and Cat part#s and will check to see if there is a part# stamped
on my dipstick.
6680-01-397-7761 (6680013977761) NSN / 110-0981 11083 Caterpillar Inc.
It would not be the 1st time I've come across the wrong oil dipstick.
Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
We used to buy blank dip sticks and mark them after we had verified the pan part number and the actual fill (Cummins mostly). Had too many dip sticks that just did not read right ...

No part# on the "gauge rod cap, liquid" (NSN description) dipstick.
I know it has 19 qts of oil in it.
It reads 1" above the full mark.
I'm going to let it ride as is.
Thanks to all.

I'm going to drive it.
Wanted a toy. Had a bike.
Thought about a sports car or vintage hot-rod but the garage is full of daily drivers.
It's a blast to drive. Like a locomotive on 48" tires.
Can also be used to haul stuff as it came with a nearly new trailer and some
killer ramps for the ATV.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Still wanna know what you are going to do with it
laugh.gif

I would call your closest Cat dealer with the engine data plate info and ask them. They can tell you what the capacity is.

Also used to be you checked the oil level on most older cats with the engine running at idle but the stick usually said this and had a cold check mark on the opposite side of the stick. I cannot remember of the 3116 was like this or not but it may have been manufactured in both variants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back