Walmart phasing out many conventionals/more $$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Every WM is managed differently. This may or may not be a corporate decision.

Bentonville has big data on what stores should stock what and where the money is being made. No way the local store is making any purchasing decisions IMHO.

Their success is driven partly by not having what people don't want.

I believe it was once reported by a news show that even the temperature of the store is not adjustable by 'onsite' management.

Simple way to know. Go to your local WM during business hours and ask to speak with a manager.

I bet you they DO have the authority to make SOME purchase decisions. Tastes vary. The WM in the hispanic part of town is going to carry more hispanic products, as an example.

I shop two identical stores … built back to back and in small towns almost the same size. (12 miles apart)
I know lots of things one store has the other does not. Foods, drinks, clothes, hardware, tires and lubes …

Dnewton3 would totally disagree with you on that... Group 2 with some group 3 aka "conventional" oils are more than capable of holding up for many vehicles. In fact group 2 oils actually showed less propensity for forming deposits in GDI motors than full "synthetic" group 3 oils. If used appropiately... These conventional oils will not lead to shorter engine life.

I like synthetic oil a lot as well. Group 3s are very, very good obviously. Synthetic oils can just be run longer in a number of applications. That's really all it helps with. Which is a good aspect of them.

$18.50 for a jug of GTX. No thanks.

Certainly Magnatec is about that price?

Isn't Edge currently $21?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
$18.50 for a jug of GTX. No thanks.

Certainly Magnatec is about that price?

Isn't Edge currently $21?

Magnatec 5w20 and 30 are $17.88

EDGE all grades $25.97 here and no edge EP

Originally Posted By: Throt
I'm all for the reduction of conventional oils on the market.

They harbor zero benefits over synthetics yet lead to higher fuel consumption, dirtier engines, increased waste due to shorter OCI's, (which in turn leads to more packaging needs, more space is taken up on semi's to deliver the oil to the stores, more oil filters, more time and money spent retrieving the products, etc.), increased engine wear with decreased engine life (SOMETIMES, not always) and I mean really the list goes on and on. Think of the cost to the economy regarding time spent changing oil at a conventional OCI vs. an OCI with synthetic. If we added up all those hours and multiplied them by some factor of GDP, I am sure the cost to the economy is in the billions. I truly can't get my head around all the factors but once tallied up I am very confident that OVERALL, the environment and the economies of the world would be best served by removing conventional oils and imposing legislation requiring the use of synthetics. Now, who here is a statistician and can compile this data and prove me right?

I totally agree. Not sure why conventional is offered either considering that it's a proven fact that Synthetic oil performs better.

I say there should be a standard $25 5qt Synthetic jug as the base oil and it goes up from there if you want boutique oil.

Originally Posted By: Artem

I totally agree. Not sure why conventional is offered either considering that it's a proven fact that Synthetic oil performs better.

I say there should be a standard $25 5qt Synthetic jug as the base oil and it goes up from there if you want boutique oil.

Serious in the last six months I haven't paid more than $19 something a Jug and I've gotten rebates on a couple of them. Why would you pay $25?

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: Throt
I'm all for the reduction of conventional oils on the market.

They harbor zero benefits over synthetics yet lead to higher fuel consumption, dirtier engines, increased waste due to shorter OCI's, (which in turn leads to more packaging needs, more space is taken up on semi's to deliver the oil to the stores, more oil filters, more time and money spent retrieving the products, etc.), increased engine wear with decreased engine life (SOMETIMES, not always) and I mean really the list goes on and on. Think of the cost to the economy regarding time spent changing oil at a conventional OCI vs. an OCI with synthetic. If we added up all those hours and multiplied them by some factor of GDP, I am sure the cost to the economy is in the billions. I truly can't get my head around all the factors but once tallied up I am very confident that OVERALL, the environment and the economies of the world would be best served by removing conventional oils and imposing legislation requiring the use of synthetics. Now, who here is a statistician and can compile this data and prove me right?

I just used 6 quarts of m ow40 that cost 26 bucks. Below you minimum price point per quart,

Who are you to dictate what a person must pay for a product that is adequate for many uses? Dangerous thought process here thinking people must buy what you think is best.

Last edited:
Not everyone wants or truly needs synthetic oil...

Again I like both. I have run 12 or so different types of synthetic oils in my car. I have also run 4-5 different types of conventional oils in there as well.

Synthetics advantage is truly length in service.

Hey Captain, you tell the truth the way my idol Dusty Rhodes said it.

Thanks for the info
smile.gif

I was in Walmart in Hartselle, AL yesterday. All I noticed marked down was a single five qt jug of GTX HM 20W-50 for $13, and Castrol HD 30 was marked down to a sizzling $4/qt.

So...I bought five qts of Supertech HD 30 an a Fram.

Last edited:
Kmart still has Smitty's for $3/qt and it is 10% PAO Group IV. And a few times a year, it will be on sale for $7-8 for the 5qt jug (or $2 for a single qt)

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Kmart still has Smitty's for $3/qt and it is 10% PAO Group IV.
If you can find a Kmart still open, that is ...

All my elder family uses/asks for conventional oil still
Mobil super 5000, and QSGB currently in their cars
Both of which i order off walmart dot com and
Pick up at the store. I never push OCI past 5k miles though

Theres plenty of conventional down here still on the shelves.
QSGB, VWB, mobil super 5000, PYB, super-tech
I just went a few days ago...

Maybe its just your area doesnt sell too much DIY oil

I run whatever I can get cheap. Its usually at Walmart+rebate

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

I believe it was once reported by a news show that even the temperature of the store is not adjustable by 'onsite' management.

That is true. Store temps are monitored by corporate. Also, if a walk-in freezer or cooler door if left open for more than 20 minutes, the store will get a call from Bentonville wanting to know why.

I know for a fact some local mechanics buy their oil from Walmart. When it (conventional oil/syn blends) go on sale the oil disappears immediately.

Last edited:
The conventional oil is always a sell-out at the couple of Walmarts near me. With the "regular" synthetic a close second. The "premium" synthetics are not that popular.

I do see a lot of 10W-30 and 5W-50 in different brands still in there older bottle design.

interesting, last time I was at Costco I did not see any Chevron supreme! They always have chevron supreme 5Wx30 and 10Wx30 ...
maybe they were out this time and will get some later. but it was the first time ever that they were out. I always travel that isle.
I think over time it is possible that conventional oil will be phased out of high volume places like Costco or Walmart? if they don't sell as much. Walmart I doubt but Costco is more likely to phase out, we'll see.

My walmart phased out mobil 5000 here to make room for the new supertech high mileage synthetic hitting the shelves the quarts and bottles require the space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back