2012 Honda Fit's caliper guide pin mix-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
All,

I just did a brake job on my Fit. The original pads lasted a little over 110k miles and still has some life in in on the other pads but the inner pads needed replacement. The rotors are still good but I put new painted rotors on anyway since I already bought the parts and the time and mileage warrant additional caution.

The mistake I made is that I didn't write down the order the caliper guide pins when I took them out for re-greasing. I also didn't write down the order I put them back in. My wife drove it for about 110 miles and the mpg is only 29.6 instead of the typical 32-24 she had been averaging but we also changed gas station from BJ's to Royal Farm so I can't tell if something is sticking or whatever. As it is not my daily driver, I don't recall which rpm it should be at various speed but paranoid butt-dyno feels like the vehicle isn't traveling as smooth as it should be; something could be dragging.

Is the order of that guide pin that critical? Can it cause pad dragging?

Thanks.

Probably not a big deal. Drive it around the block then feel the rotors with your hand hand and see if one is hotter. Pretty simple.

The non slotted pin goes on the leading side of the pad, which is the top.

It does matter which side they go in.

Hopefully you also used the correct caliper grease?

Thanks guys. I am going to have my wife verify the mpg when she gets gas tonite. I have a few items needed changing so I want to bring them over to my friend at the same time. Without tools, I can't work on my vehicles outside of fluid changes anymore. I am expecting 32-34 mpg in her type of driving. Honestly, I don't know why they design the pins to be different.

Off-topic questions. Is Wearever Platium Professional worth it and among the highest of quality pads? It is the most expensive at AAP, which no longer do free replacement. I didn't want to order pads online as I didn't plan this job out this time and actually needed it done since it's my wife car. I am debating whether to stop over AutoZone to see if they sell the same type for with free replacement when the old days when folks can bring back worn pads for free swaps. My orginal OEM pads lasted a little over 110k miles but my experience buying pads at the dealership is that the OEM pads are not necessarily what the vehicle came with as as my Honda Accord's OEM replacement pad only lasted 60k miles verses the 127k miles the orignal pads went for.

Just for references, are Wearer still pretty good brand for stopping power and durability. The application is moderator urban driving and mostly highway travel. I am very easy on brake and my wife doesn't need to use brake much for her commute but I still need good stopping power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back