Oil chosen for mid interval oil change S350d

As per the title i bought the oil for my mid interval oil change on the S350d

Vehicle has been doing a lot of local trips and short urban journeys and I felt uncomfortable leaving the current oil till the B1 Service is due at the beginning of April.

Chosen oil is Castrol Edge 5w30 Titanium FST

Specs are C3, MB 229.31 and 229.51. Porsche C30 and VW504/507

Mileage should increase and I expect to put 3/4k on this oil before the Main Dealer B1 Service.

Last edited:
Id ride that out for a while, much more than the 3-4 youre thinking. Id probably safely double that with this oil. Reset the light when you do the oil change, and start a new count.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
If you are talking Kilometer per litres increases you're about to be sorely disappointed!

Km per litres increases?

What are you talking about?

Originally Posted By: Audios
Id ride that out for a while, much more than the 3-4 youre thinking. Id probably safely double that with this oil. Reset the light when you do the oil change, and start a new count.

Reset the light?

Why would I want to reset anything? It is due a B1 Service in April and I want to put clean oil in it.

In Europe we can't just do the oil changes ourselves and keep the receipts.

I don't want to stretch out the OCI i want to ensure the longevity of the DPF equipped diesel engine in my vehicle which has done lots of short journeys and idling over Winter.

Which means diesel contamination of the oil after a Regen is interrupted. Which due to the way the vehicle has been used over the last few months is exactly what I want to prevent.

My Jag would reduce the service interval dependant on usage but from what i can see Mercs don't.

Last edited:
Youre using an oil that is approved by Mercedes, why not just do the b service now and reset the light anyway? Its a waste to only run that decent of an oil for 3 months and then dump it again just to be in line with the cars maintenance schedule, which youre performing early anyway no? Unless is it free maintenance in London?
You also mentioned thinking that you should gain some mileage, which I think the other poster was saying you probably wont see much of a difference in MPG.

Edit: I didnt see your comment about doing the oil yourselves and keeping the reciept, is that for warranty purposes?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigjl
If you are talking Kilometer per litres increases you're about to be sorely disappointed!

Km per litres increases?

When you're disappointed you'll figure it out!

Originally Posted By: Audios
Youre using an oil that is approved by Mercedes, why not just do the b service now and reset the light anyway? Its a waste to only run that decent of an oil for 3 months and then dump it again just to be in line with the cars maintenance schedule, which youre performing early anyway no? Unless is it free maintenance in London?
You also mentioned thinking that you should gain some mileage, which I think the other poster was saying you probably wont see much of a difference in MPG.

Edit: I didnt see your comment about doing the oil yourselves and keeping the reciept, is that for warranty purposes?

Because I am not in the US and we can't just reset the light.

In the UK we have online service history for Mercedes and Smarts. Which can be updated by some independant Garages and Dealers.

Keeping a receipt does nothing over here annoyingly.

The car is a diesel with a DPF doing lots of short trips and idling.

It has sat in a dealer storage for 6 months after being servicing at 1 Year (12k miles).

I want to put in fresh oil but don't want to take it in for the B1 Service over 2 months early.

I never said i would looking to get better fuel economy.

I said my mileage was going to increase and I expect to do 3/4k before the B1.

The usage pattern over the last few months means there will be diesel contamination of the sump.

I would rather spend £60 changing it.

No reason to spend £550/600 on a B1 Service imho as part of that service is brake fluid and it is due only in time having less than 19k on the clock.

Cost saving is not what I prioritise. I want to ensure the engine is as healthy as possible.

Lots of diesels have issues in and around London due to diesel contamination from failed Regens.

At my old work the Ambulances (Sprinters and a mix of 2.7, 2.2 and 3.0 all have 6 week or 3000 mile service intervals) the diesel Response Cars are also DPF afflicted and had many engine failures due to diesel in the oil.

All the Sprinters have DPFs, even the 2003/4/5 2.7's which had them retrofitted at the cost of nearly £15k a time.

If I was doing lots of high speed long runs I would not be doing this interim oil change.

Hopefully that provides some clarification

Last edited:

Km per litres increases?

When you're disappointed you'll figure it out!

I suggest you reread my original post.

The only person talking about fuel economy is you.

And we don't use litre per 100km in the UK.

We use mpg.

I said "Mileage should increase and I expect to put 3/4k on this oil before the Main Dealer B1 Service."

Do you really think i was saying I hope to get 3/4k more MPG from an oil change?

Did you reread my post to ensure you could understand it properly? It would certainly appear that you didn't otherwise why else would you be talking about fuel economy when somebody is talking about the mileage they are doing in a vehicle increasing.

Last edited:

Nothing wrong with doing one mid-OEM interval. It's your money.

Vehicle has been doing a lot of local trips and short urban journeys and I felt uncomfortable leaving the current oil till the B1 Service is due at the beginning of April.

I agree. Short trips are hard on the diesels. We bought ours for long vacations [Holidays for you
smile.gif
], but during the week, ours gets a lot of short trips, 3 months in cold weather. I do one myself and dealer does the official OCI, since it is still in extended warranty.
I would also suggest using LiquiMoly Diesel Purge (2 cans) or similar product at least every oil change. Works especially well if done before a long drive at higher speeds.
My dealer never remembers the MB Service Schedule requirement for Fuel Filter replacement, so you may have to remind them.
They also don't do transmission fluid/filter or Differential oil changes unless reminded.
Look at your service manual and have the list ready before your trip to dealer. Plus, you can avoid getting some work done TOO OFTEN. Our Ford dealer had my wife doing all of the maintenance at 1/2 the miles Ford required.
mad.gif

You need to check that. I think yours is recommended now to get 229.52. Or maybe that is just here in USA. 229.51 won't blow up your engine, but 229.52 is better protection/performance.

We use mpg.

You guys are as bad as Canada with a bit of a mix.
wink.gif
My dad used to use Imperial gallons for that, though most vehicles that are here with a trip computer happen to use U.S. gallons or litres, switchable.

Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky

Nothing wrong with doing one mid-OEM interval. It's your money.

I agree. Short trips are hard on the diesels. We bought ours for long vacations [Holidays for you
smile.gif
], but during the week, ours gets a lot of short trips, 3 months in cold weather. I do one myself and dealer does the official OCI, since it is still in extended warranty.
I would also suggest using LiquiMoly Diesel Purge (2 cans) or similar product at least every oil change. Works especially well if done before a long drive at higher speeds.
My dealer never remembers the MB Service Schedule requirement for Fuel Filter replacement, so you may have to remind them.
They also don't do transmission fluid/filter or Differential oil changes unless reminded.
Look at your service manual and have the list ready before your trip to dealer. Plus, you can avoid getting some work done TOO OFTEN. Our Ford dealer had my wife doing all of the maintenance at 1/2 the miles Ford required.
mad.gif

You need to check that. I think yours is recommended now to get 229.52. Or maybe that is just here in USA. 229.51 won't blow up your engine, but 229.52 is better protection/performance.

They recommend 228.51, 229.31, 229.51 and 229.52

I get Redex from Costco and add that with every fill up.

What does the Liqui Moly Diesel Purge do?

Changing fhe oil at this time was less than ideal that for certain.

The car was Serviced by MB UK (om return from a Contract Hire) at end of March 2017 then the car sat around in stock till September when I bought it.

But that meant there was not a full year till it needed a Service based on time.

I had expected to be doing many more miles than I have done.

Once this period is past I will be doing my usual half Service Interval Oil and Filter change.

Originally Posted By: Garak
We use mpg.

You guys are as bad as Canada with a bit of a mix.
wink.gif
My dad used to use Imperial gallons for that, though most vehicles that are here with a trip computer happen to use U.S. gallons or litres, switchable.

I was in secondary school when they started to switch from imperial to metric.

But the UK only changed some things

The EU makes the UK use Metric but most people convert back into imperial half of the time.

I am sure litres per 100km makes sense once you are used to it but it confuses me.

Removes deposits on injection nozzles and in the combustion chamber. Increases the cetane rating. Eliminates engine operation problems such as knocking in idle and provides round and quiet engine running. Protects the entire fuel system from corrosion. Optimizes the emission test values. Can also be used as a preventative measure. Clean engines need less fuel and reduce emissions

Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky

Removes deposits on injection nozzles and in the combustion chamber. Increases the cetane rating. Eliminates engine operation problems such as knocking in idle and provides round and quiet engine running. Protects the entire fuel system from corrosion. Optimizes the emission test values. Can also be used as a preventative measure. Clean engines need less fuel and reduce emissions

I will have a look into that. Is it DPF compatible?

I currently put in Redex at every fill up.

I am sure litres per 100km makes sense once you are used to it but it confuses me.

It makes best sense when you let the people using miles per Imperial gallon die off, of course.
wink.gif
Some people I know from Eastern Europe who left in the 1980s were quite familiar with the litres per 100 km business.

Back