Are metal gaskets reusable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturn Vue with the Honda 3.5L V6. Doing a valve adjustment with requires removal of the plenum for access to the rear bank. The plenum has this red upper cover with a metal gasket.

xlarge.jpg

and under the plenum there is this spacer with metal gaskets on both sides.

xlarge.jpg

Can these metal gaskets be reused. 190,000 mile truck. $50 for gasket set I'd rather use for something else if they don't need to be replaced. My thinking is unlike rubber gaskets that get a set and harden with age, that shouldn't be an issue here.

31.gif

Replace it anyway! Especially on a transverse V6 that is difficult to work on where you have to remove the intake. Because you DON'T want to go back there again! I don't have a Honda V6, but I do know how impossible some tasks can be since I have a 4th gen Maxima with a transverse V6.

Also replace the spark plugs, valve cover gaskets (which usually come with spark plug tube seals as well), and ANYTHING ELSE back there that is a common problem and requires pulling the intake.

Mahle or Beck/Arnley valve cover gaskets
Mahle plenum gasket
Denso Iridum Long-Life, TT, or NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs

Are fuel injectors and ignition coils common failure items on these car? If not, you're good, but if they do, then replace them while you're there. All 6.

The red valve covers do look pretty
smile.gif

^ Or don't throw money at something that isn't broken. It's not that big a deal to take it apart only that far again, especially after you have experience doing it once already... maybe spark plugs IF they were due for replacement anyway.

Last edited:
Yes doing spark plugs, timing belt, water pump and yes not a big deal to remove that part and don't like throwing money at something not broken. Did this same job on 2 others before, on one I did replace those, and on the other, didn't. Couldn't tell any difference.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
31.gif

Replace it anyway!

It takes 20 min to remove the plenum if your slow using hand tools and the gasket is on a dry intake (no coolant). I haven't had one leak even when used 5 times and I have done more of these than most people have had hot dinners.
The gasket is MLS with no imprint or crush zone.

To do the valve adjustments you don't need to touch the LIM just the plenum. If you remove the LIM you will need new gaskets. Remove the red plate and under it will be bolts for that hold it to the LIM, just pull that.
That is the reusable MLS gasket.

Edit: I probably have a few of the OE Honda LIM gaskets brand new, let me look. If i do you can have them for the price of post if you want them.

Edit. You only need to take it down this far and you can reuse the plenum gasket.

Last edited:
I remove the spacer thing below the plenum which has those 2 gaskets surrounding it just to clean it up. I don't touch the lower intake below that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back