Remember the old days of wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sure do and miss the NWA/GCW and southern promotions. Who was your favorite wrestler? Mine was this guy
smile.gif

https://i.imgur.com/TmduVrM.jpg

**** the Bruiser.

My first exposure was as a young lad staying up late night at a friend's house and watching a black and white UHF channel. We tuned in just as **** the Bruiser came to the rescue in a tag team match. I never got interested in "professional" wrestling, but my boyhood memories of things like this are vivid.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

My first exposure was as a young lad staying up late night at a friend's house and watching a black and white UHF channel.

During the mid-'70s, my dad would sometimes watch the wrestling on Saturday night on a low-powered independent TV station out of Nebraska that we could pick up with the antenna. Yes, it was as fake as it ever has been (probably more), and I can't remember a single wrestler's name, just one that always had a mask on his face.
What I DO remember was a product that was always advertised. This company always sponsored the wrestling and just about every commercial was for this product: I would have loved to see a chemical analysis of this product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsaCTUAyqIE

Dusty Rhodes
The Purple Haze
The Iron Sheik
Gordon Soli as commentator

It was great growing up in the 80s
banana2.gif

During the early 1970's going to the downtown Arena in Cleveland: Chief White Owl and Ox Baker with his "Heart Punch" were my favorites.

I have met Greg Gagne on a business transaction. He is selling Jaguars at a local dealership.

Also, got to meet the world's strongest man, Ken Patera. Great guy.

I grew up watching Jessie the body Ventura, Bobby The Weasel Heenan, Nick Bockwinkel, The Barron, Verne Gagne, Kenny sodbuster Jay and George Scrap Iron Gadaski. The announcer was Mean Gene Okerlund. That was some great entertainment.

Bulldog Bob Brown
Harley Race
Bruiser Brody
Dusty Rhodes
Bill Kersten was the announcer.

Kansas City Area around mid 70's. Was on a UHF station 41, usually on either Saturday or Sunday mornings.

Somehow it was better on UHF. Blurry black and white. Had to adjust the antenna just so. Remember him?

wwef_31326369_th_64.jpg

Late 70's and early 80's I watched a lot of Mid-South Wrestling on Saturday nights. It was done in the Sam Houston Coliseum, got to go once in person.

"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan and Jake "The Snake" Roberts (and the DDT move he did) were some of my favorites.

Junkyard Dog, King Kong Bundy, "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase, The Fabulous Freebirds (Michael "P.S." Hayes and Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy), The Von Erich family, Ric Flair, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, Randy "Macho Man" Savage, Jimmy "The Heart" were all in this league, some of which went on to the WWF.

About the time that the WWF was becoming popular (mid 80's) was when I quit watching.

I loved the wrestling that was on TV in the very early 1960's when I was very young. All sorts of wild things, hitting each other with chairs, and even swinging a metal chain. I couldn't get enough of it in those days,.

Tojo Yamamoto
Bearcat Brown
Dr. Ken Ramey and the Interns
Bill Dundee
Austin Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back