LL-01 Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for recommendations for a BMW LL-01 oil for my next oil change for a 13 BMW 528 (F10 with the N20 4 cyl engine). Last oil change I used the BMW branded oil; have also used the Mobil 1 0W40 (when it was LL01 certified).
Looking at Castrol edge 0W40; but also noticed the 0W30 meets LL01...
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Originally Posted By: kuhlag
I am looking for recommendations for a BMW LL-01 oil for my next oil change for a 13 BMW 528 (F10 with the N20 4 cyl engine). Last oil change I used the BMW branded oil; have also used the Mobil 1 0W40 (when it was LL01 certified).
Looking at Castrol edge 0W40; but also noticed the 0W30 meets LL01...
Thoughts?
Thanks!

Castrol 0W-40 is probably one of the finest motor oils available anywhere, carrying a large number of specifications including Longlife-01. Considering the price at Walmart I can't really see how anyone would make meaningful argument for anything else.

Currently using Castrol Edge 0w40 in a 2006 E90 325xi and a 2004 E46 330xi that I service. Both run very smooth with no consumption.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Bingo. Castrol 0W-40. $21 right now at Walmart.

Darn, I missed that sale by just a week!
frown.gif

I hope it's still $21 the next time I cross the border (which will probably be in about 4 to 6 weeks)

The BMW original Twinpower Turbo oils seems to be very good according the VOA on oil-club.ru

Here some specs :

BMW MTwinPower 0w40 LL01
- Viscosity @ 100°C : 13,37
- Viscosity @ 40°C : 75,89
- VI : 180
- Sulfated Ash : 1,15%
- Flashpoint : 230°C
- NOACK : 8,7%

BMW TwinPower 0w30 LL04 (but I think the LL01 will be the same exept for the sulfated ash value)
- Viscosity @ 100°C : 12,12
- Viscosity @ 40°C : 68,75
- VI : 175
- Sulfated Ash : 0,75%
- Flashpoint : 242°C
- NOACK : 8,5%

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Castrol Edge 0W40.
Stick to it.

In Europe there are two Castrol Edge FST Titanium 0w40, one approved for LL04 specs (Belgium version) and one approved for LL01 specs (German version)

Exept the level of sulfated ash, there are others differences ?

I'm running actually BMW Original 5w30, but I would like to switch to a good 0w40 but I hesitate to take Castrol (here in Europe people say that Castrol does not protect the engines like Mobil or Shell, but they don't give a proof of what they say...)

Originally Posted By: Kaiser
Castrol Edge 0W40.
Stick to it.

In Europe there are two Castrol Edge FST Titanium 0w40, one approved for LL04 specs (Belgium version) and one approved for LL01 specs (German version)

I'm running actually BMW Original 5w30, but I would like to switch to a good 0w40 but I hesitate to take Castrol (here in Europe people say that Castrol does not protect the engines like Mobil or Shell, but they don't give a proof of what they say...)

That is [censored], Castrol 0W40 is one of the best oils for Euro engines, if not the best.
BMW TPT is stout oil, but I do not like high pour point in LL-04 (-33c). Also, I like oils that meet numerous other specifications as each specification has something unique.

Castrol Edge 0W40.
Stick to it.

Nothing wrong with Castrol Edge 0W40, however in Europe (& Australia) you can also get Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 which is an excellent BMW LL-01 oil too. Buy on price.

Regarding Flashpoint beware what Specs are being used CASTROL uses D93 while Mobil Uses D92 . D93 spec will show a higher FP in UOA . So you can't compare D92 vrs D93 .

The only thing that I don't like with Castrol oils are the flashpoint, they are too low compared to Mobil 1, Shell, Fuchs...

Are you concerned that your oil is in danger of igniting? Other than that, how does flashpoint relate to meeting Longlife-01?

Just as there are people who claim to have seen Bigfoot, also without proof. If someone is able to give a concise and technical explanation as to how one Longlife-01 oil is superior to another then I might listen. Otherwise both carry the same specification.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
The only thing that I don't like with Castrol oils are the flashpoint, they are too low compared to Mobil 1, Shell, Fuchs...

Are you concerned that your oil is in danger of igniting? Other than that, how does flashpoint relate to meeting Longlife-01?

No I don't think so, but the more the flashpoint is higher the more the oil will provide a good protection during hard driving

No I don't think so, but the more the flashpoint is higher the more the oil will provide a good protection during hard driving

Really? I didn't know that. I thought flash point (like pour point) had little relevance to any aspect of engine operation.

I mean, maybe if your engine is on fire.

If the oil is A3/B4, 502, A40, LL01, M229.5 approved, you're splitting hairs trying to find a difference.

Pick the bottle shape/color that most appeals to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back