Where do you keep your oil level?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
It's been a while since we had this discussion so I thought it would be an interesting conversation. What level on your dipstick do you like to keep the oil level in your cars and why?

I prefer to keep mine to the highest level (and in the past I'd even go a 1/2 to a full quart higher on some of my cars) but I know there are others that prefer to keep it in the middle of the range or even at the low end.

Above halfway from the low mark of the dipstick to the full mark, but not above the level it reaches when I put in the specified volume (which is, illogically, a little below the full mark).

I like to drill 1/16" diameter holes at full, half, and low on all my dipsticks (even the lawn & garden equipment where it has a metal dipstick). You have to use a carbide drill, the dipstick steel is usually a spring temper. The holes make it easy to get an accurate level reading, something I picked up from Ford dipsticks.

I keep my oil level in the upper half. When the half hole is exposed, I add a half quart.

I keep it right at the full line, which is exactly 5 quarts in one vehicle and 6 quarts in the other two, all with new filters. That puts them right to the full mark. When I change my oil I do it with the engine warm and allow at least 30 minutes drain time, sometimes longer. That gets it spot on.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
In the safe zone

Yep , preferably in the upper part of the safe zone .

My car seems to sit right inbetween L and F.
A little higher than halfway up the safe zone.

I only add oil if its getting near Low
Rarely

Low to middle in the Carrera. If I run it at the full line I get a random puff at startup.

The Volvo always indicates that it is perfectly full.

Both of my current vehicles, when the recommended amount is added, takes both to the full mark and that is where I like to keep them until the next OC.

My boat motor, 07 Merc 90hp 4 stroke, it specifically reads, if it is in the "Hashmark" area, "Do Not Add Oil". This bugs me, as, like above, I like it at the full mark but I've learned to live with it if it is sometimes just in there instead of at the full mark.
I am not sure why they are so specific/anal with that but I suppose R&D has told them it is perfectly safe in that area and adding more oil could take it over the full mark and possibly cause damage?
21.gif

I have been tempted to add a 100mls at a time to see what happens but going on 10+ years now with it without any hiccups, I think I will leave well enough alone.

Last edited:
Anywhere between full and add on the dipstick is fine.
There is no reason to obsessively add oil to maintain the level at the full mark.
The lower limit typically involves a quart needed and I'd add a quart at that point unless I'm planning a change next week.
The maker marked the dipstick with a safe range of sump level which I think can be trusted.

For me it depends on oil consumption between oil changes. I'll let it get up to a quart low before an oil change. This typically translates to no top ups ever for my vehicles.

On the Yukon between the top 2 dots. On the Trailblazer as close to the top as possible as it can be. (hate the dipstick design on these)

I have had several cars (2014 Passat, 2002 Stratus) that would burn off any oil above half way on the save area. I presume that is where the crank hits the oil and it gets vaporized and burned. As long as you are in the safe zone and not going on a long trip, don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back