Head light lens haze

Status
Not open for further replies.
The headlights on the wife’s Honda Fit are really bad in terms of the haze on the lenses. I’ve used one of the kits (I think it was Meguiar’s) a couple of times but it’s pretty short lived. I saw a video where the guy uses successive wet sand paper passes and then spraying them with clear coat. Anyone have any experience with doing this? I really don’t want to make them worse.

Polish them with rubbing compound. I would recommend Farecla G3 with a 3M lambwool buffing pad. Might preserve them with a quality wax afterwards.

Motorsen

If you still have some Meguiar’s left, maybe use it to get the haze off. And then keep it waxed. That haze is oxidation... the plastic is rusting if you would.

I've had the same issue for a while now. I just polish & wax the headlights every 6 months. Eventually, I may just cave and get new lenses.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bronco1
I saw a video where the guy uses successive wet sand paper passes and then spraying them with clear coat. Anyone have any experience with doing this?

Yes, you need to sand off the haze to get to solid plastic. Using a rubbing compound for that would take a long time and likely overheat the plastic. I use the 3M kit https://www.walmart.com/ip/3M-Company-3M...13=&veh=sem followed by their clear coat https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

Honda Insight

xlarge.jpg

I’ve had great luck with the 3M kit. You can also buy the wet sanding paper separately and do it by hand. But the drill attachment and circular sanding pads with the 3M kit make it pretty convenient.

Clearcoat is the only way to go if you don't want to repeat polishing them every 6 months or so. These were from my 05 Prius. I also did my 01 Tacoma lenses 2 years ago and they still look brand new. They were wet sanded up to 2000 grit and shot using automotive urethane.

Sandpaper is only needed for a 1st-time, bad state.

Touch up, if you waited too long you can use rubbing compound with plenty of water. If using a motorized tool, move it around a lot so you don't build up heat in one spot.

Next use plastic polish, or if you have a motorized tool and move it around a lot, even toothpaste can work.

Finish with wax or wax-type sealant. I do not recommend a spray on paint-like sealant. It will last a bit longer but still need done again then you have to strip all the sealant off which is more work in the long run.

Periodally touch up the finish. For example when washing the vehicle put a few dabs of toothpaste on a rag and wipe the lenses down.

If parked for several hours a day exposed to sunlight, try to park in a direction with the headlights facing away from the sun. This can also make your wipers last longer.

Not highjacking the thread..but i was in walmart the other day and they had a little display that said they restore headlights there...the display was old and not sure if its a service they offer anymore. I didnt follow up on it. No idea of price either i guess that part fell off the display.

Completely agree on wet sanding and using clear coat.

Recommend using 2K clear, not the regular stuff you can find at the local auto parts store.

You can buy a can of 2K for about $20ish a can.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0043B7UQ...&ref=plSrch

But realize is contained isocyanites, quite harmful if you don’t use a respirator.

It works wonders, as this is the real deal clear coat...but be careful.

Does it last? Yep, my 2004 Sequoia is going on three years post clear and they still look clear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: El_Vato
Completely agree on wet sanding and using clear coat.

Recommend using 2K clear, not the regular stuff you can find at the local auto parts store.

You can buy a can of 2K for about $20ish a can.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0043B7UQ...&ref=plSrch

But realize is contained isocyanites, quite harmful if you don’t use a respirator.

It works wonders, as this is the real deal clear coat...but be careful.

Does it last? Yep, my 2004 Sequoia is going on three years post clear and they still look clear.

That looks like the best topcoat. The manufacturers should coat new headlights with the stuff.
I guess a lot of owners get rid of the car before the haze becomes a big problem.

2K is the best clear coat product to use on headlights.
Something else that also works and is not as dangerous for a DIYer to use is Krylon K02444007 'Fusion for Plastic' Aerosol. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TNMWBM/
It is not as good as the 2K but I have gotten pretty good results with it. Before you apply it you will need to wet sand the headlamps with 1000 grit sand paper (don't polish them afterwords) and after it dries you will need to wet sand with 2000 grit sand paper and buff it out with rubbing compound. I applied it to a couple of headlights 2 years ago and they still look good.

What about using it on lenses that haven't yellowed yet to keep them new looking?

Have a 2014 RAV4 that has lenses still looking new.

Originally Posted By: David2431
What about using it on lenses that haven't yellowed yet to keep them new looking?

Have a 2014 RAV4 that has lenses still looking new.

No.
New headlamps already have a very hard clearcoat on them. When the factory applied clearcoat deteriorates it eventually comes off and it is the unprotected plastic underneath that oxidizes, hazes, and yellows. When you use most headlight restoration kits you are sanding off the remainder of the factory applied clearcoat and the surface of the plastic to remove the oxidation, then you buff it out to polish it back to clear (just like wet sanding and buffing your paint to remove oxidation). But, if you don't re-coat the headlamps with a protective finish after sanding, the plastic will quickly oxidize again. Wax doesn't help very much. Some headlamp restoration kits do have a protective finish that you apply after sanding, but I found that the substance they supply is not durable and doesn't last.
The absolute best protective clearcoat finish that you can apply is a polyurethane resin based industrial product that requires a very strong UV lamp to cure. It is not for DIY use. This is what was used on the headlamps when they were manufactured. The next best product to use is a paint product like 2K clear which is a isocyanate paint that uses hardener to cure. The Krylon K02444007 'Fusion for Plastic' that I used is just a UV stabilized polyurethane paint that cures by air drying like most other paints. It is not nearly as hard and durable as the other two coatings. Do not apply this paint on top of any other clearcoat.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
What if the headlight is hazed on the inside; then what?

Replacement.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
What if the headlight is hazed on the inside; then what?

On some headlights the lens can be separated fairly easily, on those you can coat the inside also and reassemble. Before tossing one in the bin try it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back