Can you pour oil too fast into an engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the new 1.8t engine from VWAG there have been instances where the oil backed up and flooded the pcv system, and locked the motor. Foreman at an Audi dealer told that, and they turn the flow down on the oil guns to stop it. Besides that the only pain in the rear to fill are volvos with the trap over the filler.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Depends on the size of the drain-back holes in the cylinder head. Big openings and you can't pour fast enough. Small holes or blocked ones and you can't pour slow enough ...

OHC engines have big drain holes to cope with the flow, pushrod engines have much less oil in the top end, so holes are smaller...and you can certainly pour too fast for a pushrod engine.

One day I was filling an Isuzu diesel van...the boys were heading off to smoko, so I poured in 6 litres, 2 litres at a time, I wanted to run up the filter before heading off myself. I fired up the engine, and it ran away ! Engine screaming, smoke everywhere, brain stalled. I finally managed to shut it down by putting it in top gear and stalling it. The oil must've still been pooled in the rocker cover, when cranking crankcase compression forced the oil down the breather hose and into the intake manifold. So, I always check when filling a pushrod engine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back