General Altimax RT43 on an SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
The factory Michelin Primacy tires on my Pilot have 3-4/32" tread left. While traction is alright, they're beginning to get noisy on the highway. I'm going to replace them during one of the summertime sales and have started doing some research.

Michelin and Continental have dedicated SUV tires but man are they pricey. I then looked at good ol' General RT43s and luckily they're available in my size. The price is reasonable and I know they're good tires since I currently have them on my Accord.

Here's my question: Since the RT43 isn't a dedicated SUV/truck tire, how would they fare on a heavy vehicle like my Pilot? I maintain my tires well with regular rotations, balancing & pressure checks but don't want them to still prematurely wear out because of the weight. Then again, the OE Michelins were regular pass car tires and not dedicated SUV ones, and they did alright.

Last edited:
If the Generals have the proper rating to meet your Pilot's specs, I wouldn't hesitate to use them. I had Michelins as original tires on my Ridgeline, and they developed sidewall cracks after six years and 54,000 miles. I replaced them with Sumitomo's that ride as smooth as butter.

That is not a heavy vehicle by any stretch, it weighs less than a Odyssey, no issues with the RT43 on those. An Excursion is a heavy SUV 7500lb +

If the tires have the correct weight rating for your SUV, go for it.
You may find out that your SUV needs a 108 rating, as an example, and the tire is a 102.

I've driven on the Rt43s on a previous vehicle I owned. Best all season tire for the money in my opinion. They should work fine for your application as long as they are the proper OEM size and load rating.

Nothing wrong with the RT43, but General does also have the Grabber HTS60 you might like
smile.gif

The Pilot is a CUV, not a real SUV.
It's an ODY in drag.
The General RT43 would work as well on a Pilot as it would on anything else.
These are good and fairly cheap tires.
The OEM Michelins, which are not the same as the tires that were sold as Primacy tires aftermarket, were probably nothing special.
The question is how long do you plan on keeping this Honda?
If you'll do more than another 50K or so, then Pirelli may have something better to offer you for a few bucks more than the Generals.
I'm very happy with the Pirellis on our newer Accord after nearly 30K.

While it is smaller than your Pilot, I have a set of 18" RT43's on my wife's CR-V. Seem to be wearing well thus far as they have about 25k on them. I expect another 25k from them. Have had them 2.5 years and they seem to handle wet roads well. We don't get very much snow here but the few times they have seen a snow covered road, they have done well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back