Buying a new Impala after test driving 9 vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been 11 years since our last new car... I did a lot of online research in this process before test driving, and found out that a 20 min test drive can tell you a lot more about how you're really going to feel about a vehicle.

Our '03 Park Ave has 175 k miles and is getting tired... I wanted something new this time to update our modest fleet. The price range my wife and I are comfortable with had me test driving well equipped mid size cars, compact SUVS, and a Chev Colorado Z71. Because we live in a small town and are on the highway all the time, low road noise and good seat comfort and driving position are top priorities. I test drove the Impala last, because I assumed it would have start/stop like most GM cars. I found out the 3.6 does not have start/stop (yay!) so I took one for a test drive. I was really impressed with the comfort, room, interior quality and features of the Impala. The 305 hp 3.6 and 6 speed trans are a very smooth and quiet drivetrain, and it really goes.. 0 - 60 in 6.2 sec according to Motor Trend.

I am ordering it with leather, Bose stereo, safety pkg, convenience pkg, etc. in Tri coat pearl, with "wheat" colour and black interior. It will arrive at the dealer in mid May.

With GM incentives and some haggling the price ended up about the same as the well equipped above mentioned vehicles I test drove. 0% financing makes this car a great deal for us.

Any 2014+ Impala owners out there?

It comes in first place in CR's tests and on their recommended list. So places slightly ahead of the Kia Cadenza and the Toyota Avalon in point totals. All three are on their recommended list. In a different size category, the Malibu comes in last place and the ONLY car not on CR's recommended list. The Accord isn't on it either but that was because a new one wasn't available for testing.

irv on here bought one recently. Here is the thread .

Don't own one, but they seem to be one exception to blatant GM bashing by the press-most reviews really like them!
I think they're sharp cars and I'd like one someday. Probably the closest thing you're going to find to a Park Avenue today without forking out crazy money.

I just glanced in the CR buying guide for you; they put it at the top of the Large Car class with an excellent score of 86. (Take CTR with a grain of salt but it means something if they aren't bashing it because it's GM...)

Like I assume you do by the cars you have, I appreciate ride comfort and quiet- i.e. good road cars. I think the Impala delivers here.

When I’m on a self select car rental lot I head towards that car …
smooth and quiet road car with a nice look inside and out

Yea the 2014+ Impala uses the same build design as the last Saab 9-5. That was the car that was supposed to save Saab but then the financial crisis hit.

Very nice car with the V6. The 4cyl is a little weak for that car IMO.

V6 is the way to go. Really nice car, GM did a great job on this entire platform. You're essentially getting a Cadillac XTS for Chevy money.

This story has a happy ending. Thanks for posting.
55.gif

Even HAPPIER!

The OP can buy my 1999 Saab 9-5 SE. It too is built on a Saab platform. It has 120K...and needs a little work....CHEAPER!

I trust you know I'm kidding. Cheers and good luck with your new car.

ps We're going to Denver in about 6 weeks and will seek an Impala when we rent a car.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
It comes in first place in CR's tests and on their recommended list. So places slightly ahead of the Kia Cadenza and the Toyota Avalon in point totals. All three are on their recommended list. In a different size category, the Malibu comes in last place and the ONLY car not on CR's recommended list. The Accord isn't on it either but that was because a new one wasn't available for testing.

irv on here bought one recently. Here is the thread .

Thanks posting that, Satinsilver.
cheers3.gif

I went back 25-30 pgs to find my post but only before I seen you had already posted it!
11.gif

To the OP, we are still loving this car immensely and are looking forward to the spring/summer so we can enjoy it fully and take advantage of the sunroof and a few other things.
My wife is dying to get the snowies off and her stock rims back on as well as she simply hates the looks of the winter rims/tires.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4591681/1

Congrats, BTW; you're going to love it if you don't already.
cheers3.gif

We bought a 2006 Buick Lacrosse w/ low miles ( less than 40,000 , confirmed by CarFax ) , this last June .

Has been thinking about an Impala , but the ones around here seemed to be more $$$ than I felt comfortable spending .

I think we ended up getting the Buick for Chevrolet money , or less . :)

How did the new Impala compare to a Lacrosse ?

Originally Posted By: nickaluch
New Impala totally different car than a 2006 lacrosse for the better.

X2. Tons of changes, for the better, has happened during the last 11-12 years.

How did the new Impala compare to a Lacrosse ?"

Depending on the trim levels, the Lacrosse has a nicer interior than the Impala, IMO. But the Lacrosse is more expensive, and cannot be had without the irritating (to me) start/stop system. From what I've read, GM has one of the smoothest stop/start systems, and the sales staff will tell you you'll get used to it in no time. But I found many online discussions with unhappy owners attempting to disable the system (that would be me as well).

Originally Posted By: carviewsonic

Depending on the trim levels, the Lacrosse has a nicer interior than the Impala, IMO. But the Lacrosse is more expensive, and cannot be had without the irritating (to me) start/stop system. From what I've read, GM has one of the smoothest stop/start systems, and the sales staff will tell you you'll get used to it in no time. But I found many online discussions with unhappy owners attempting to disable the system (that would be me as well).

I'm still trying to get used to the traffic light turning green and hearing cars around me start back up!

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: carviewsonic

I'm still trying to get used to the traffic light turning green and hearing cars around me start back up!

I agree, but I have noticed some are much louder/more noticeable than others. A Malibu we took for a test drive was fairly quiet, imo, but one you could hear the water/rad fluid rush in and out of the overflow at every start/stop?
At first, my wife and I thought it was something on the radio but after the second time, I knew what it was. I told the sales mngr about it when we returned the car, to which he said he would have a mechanic look at it, but if that is the norm, there is no way I could live with that.
An Equinox, we also took for a drive, was way louder than the Malibu.

Like the OP stated, I am also glad our 3.6 Impala doesn't have this feature!

My wife and I recently bought a 2017 LaCrosse. Main car we shopped against was the Impala. They are both really nice cars, with the Buick having the start/stop, as noted above. I'm not a fan of the technology, and would have preferred a way to disable it, but it is essentially seamless.

Originally Posted By: drfeelgood
My wife and I recently bought a 2017 LaCrosse. Main car we shopped against was the Impala. They are both really nice cars, with the Buick having the start/stop, as noted above. I'm not a fan of the technology, and would have preferred a way to disable it, but it is essentially seamless.

Drfeelgood, do you have any pics of your 69 Mustang and your 70 Chevelle? I'd like to see those if it's no trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back