Techron Fuel System Cleaner - True Believer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everybody,

I inherited my Aunts 2006 Toyota Camry XLE 2.4L here recently. It had 127,066 miles on it when received. She barely drove the car the last couple years due to declining health issues. When I went to pick the car up -- it seemed that it had no pep going up hills & idled alittle rough when starting. She was a maintenance nut as long as I ever have known her with her vehicles. Keeping a note book with date and miles of maint. performed in the glove box. Anyways, I ran the tank to empty all but and put in two back to back bottles of the Chevron Techron Fuel system cleaner in two tanks at 13 gallons both times. After the second tank ran almost empty -- the idle situation when starting totally smoothed out and it goes up hills with all sorts of pull like I remembered it when I drove it before. I truly think the Techron cleaned things up in two tank fulls. I would recommend this fuel system cleaner all day.

Dale

Last edited:
A Camry XLE with a 4 cyl.? You'd think the posh ones would have V6's.

I use the Techron CONCENTRATE once a year before a stint of local driving.
Somewhere I read that the PEA works upon shutdown to loosen deposits on injector nozzles.

Nice! I plan on throwing a bottle in the Accord before the next oil change. Off topic, how are you liking your Jetta 1.4T?

You may have just gotten one of the most reliable cars on the planet, even with those miles. Good luck.

My buddies/family, & other family members have 2002-06 Camry with 4 cyl engines and they're all pushing 300,000 miles with almost no issues along the way. Almost no rust, if any(Rochester, Buffalo, Niagara Falls) and still all on the same suspension parts. Just so tight! And I know that PA doesn't use as much road salt as we do here in Western NY.

My daughter lives in PA for the past 5 years and her(know for rusting) '06 Mazda3 is holding up better in PA than it would here in NY. You've gotta see the 1st gen(04-09) Mazda3 rust in NY State, especially '04-06. Like cancer!

Last edited:
Yeah, I would have thought also with the XLE package. Its loaded with everything "except" the V6. She said she wishes she would have gotten the 6 cylinder after she bought it & drove it acouple years.

Dale

I picked it up last week & we just got 5 inches of snow last nite. So far so good with it. It rides,drives & smells like a new car. Gonna run the factory oil to 1000 miles & change the oil with Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W40 and a Fram Ultra. Picked up the oil last week at Walmart when it was on sale for $21.00 plus tax. Although, it states Castrol in the manual and oil cap. Pics will come sometime after it gets cleaned up again!
wink.gif

Dale

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira

Somewhere I read that the PEA works upon shutdown to loosen deposits on injector nozzles.

I have also read that if you add one bottle and immediately go on a long road trip, that the effectiveness is very little.

It is best to do lots of shorts trips on that tank.

Plus, I buy it on sale. Both AAP and AZ have 1/2 price sales on the stuff.

I wish they did that with all their fluids. I scored 12 gallons of Valvoline Dex/MercLV for the price of 5 once upon a time.

HOW, you ask? 5 $20 sales got you a free $20 w/AutoZones program....so 5X2 + 1X2 (for free) = 12.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Yeah, I would have thought also with the XLE package. Its loaded with everything "except" the V6. She said she wishes she would have gotten the 6 cylinder after she bought it & drove it acouple years.

Dale

Why the V6? the L4 is a good engine and much easier to work on, for a family coach, winter car, grocery getter that would be my engine of choice. For sports car the biggest most powerful engine they offer, no anemic engines. If it looks like it can go then it better be able.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Why the V6? the L4 is a good engine and much easier to work on, for a family coach, winter car, grocery getter that would be my engine of choice.

+1, and well said.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Hello Everybody,

I inherited my Aunts 2006 Toyota Camry XLE 2.4L here recently. It had 127,066 miles on it when received. She barely drove the car the last couple years due to declining health issues. When I went to pick the car up -- it seemed that it had no pep going up hills & idled alittle rough when starting. She was a maintenance nut as long as I ever have known her with her vehicles. Keeping a note book with date and miles of maint. performed in the glove box. Anyways, I ran the tank to empty all but and put in two back to back bottles of the Chevron Techron Fuel system cleaner in two tanks at 13 gallons both times. After the second tank ran almost empty -- the idle situation when starting totally smoothed out and it goes up hills with all sorts of pull like I remembered it when I drove it before. I truly think the Techron cleaned things up in two tank fulls. I would recommend this fuel system cleaner all day.

Dale

Did she buy top tier gas or the cheapest?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Kira

I have also read that if you add one bottle and immediately go on a long road trip, that the effectiveness is very little.

It is best to do lots of shorts trips on that tank.

Exactly; the PEA is allowed to sit on the affected components and thus does a more thorough job.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: Trav
Why the V6? the L4 is a good engine and much easier to work on, for a family coach, winter car, grocery getter that would be my engine of choice.

+1, and well said.

Exactly! These Camry 4 cyls are wonderful engines. Though not a powerhouse of an engine, they make their power exactly where we drive and are extremely smooth & quiet. I've never wanted for more power or a V6 in these cars and I've had several and driven even more!

Im content with the 4 cylinder. I plan on changing the plugs today with NGK Iridiums. Also going to drain and refill the trans today with Toyota automatic tranny fluid. I bought a car cover for it also because its gonna sit for long periods of time I presume. Picked up another bottle of Techron yesterday for the Subaru.

Dale

Im sure she bought the cheapest 87 octane she could get using her Giant grocery store points. There is a Sunoco station acouple miles from my house. I will run that 87 octane gas in it from now on. Paired with the Techron every 3000 miles moving forward.

Dale

If running a top tier gas like Sunoco, no need for Techron every 3k. The top tier gas should keep things clean enough, once a year PEA fuel treatments should be plenty.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
How long has Sunoco been top-tier gas? I missed seeing their name the last time I reviewed the list of Top Tier gas stations.

I believe since last summer!
I was happy to find that out, since the nearest gas station to me is Sunoco!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back