What oil/filter would you use for these cars?

I have always been a "buy what oil is on sale and a NAPA (Wix) filter" kind of guy. But now that I have two newer cars, I am a bit more concerned about longevity and making sure to comply with my warranty. So I would like to know what oil and filter you would choose for my cars. (Please note that I do respect everyone's educated opinion, but am very flighty and may just do whatever I want anyway...)

Car 1:

2015 Kia Soul, 1.6 GDI, 18,XXX miles.
Oil changed at 2.5K, 5K, 10K, 15K, and 18K with 5W-20 Pennzoil Platinum and OEM filter.
This car is driven by my wife to and from work (10 miles and 20 minutes each way).
Occasional short shopping trips.
Very few highway miles.
Ohio weather so -20F in the winter up to 95F in the summer.
My wife really likes her car, so will likely keep it past the 10/100 warranty.

Car 2:

2018 Hyundai Elantra, 2.0 MPI, 1,XXX miles.
15 mile commute to work.
Highway trips most weekends.
Due to expensive bells and whistles (Nav, lane departure, headlights that turn), I may or may not keep this car past the bumper to bumper 5/60 warranty.

My initial thoughts are...

Change the Soul to 5W-30 due to possible fuel dilution.
Change the Soul to 3,000/6 month OCI from 5,000 to reduce dilution and carbon deposits.

I have no idea what to do with the Elantra. Thinking I should do severe duty schedule which is 3,750 OCI for warranty purposes. I have 10 quarts of 5W-20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, 6 quarts of 5W-20 Castrol Edge Gold, and 1.5 quarts 5W-20 Pennzoil Platinum sitting around. That would take care of the first 4 oil changes if I switch the Soul to 5W-30.

So...

Seems like there are better filters for this car than the factory filters. What filter would you use?
What oil will work best in a GDI car that sees little use? Ultra Platinum claims to clean things up, true or hype?
Synthetic, blend, or conventional for the Elantra? Normally purchase Pennzoil products from Amazon with a $10 rebate, about $15 per jug of syn delivered. No loyalties to any brand beyond that.

Not sure if this is too much information or not enough, but thanks for any help you can give!

You're running through some pretty nice oil on short change intervals on those cars now; you could just follow your owner's manual change intervals with those oils, and you'll be fine for a couple of hundred thousand miles. OE Hyundai filters are fine, and available by the case on E-bay for pretty cheap.

Last edited:
welcome2.gif

Hyunda/Kia OEM filters are usually made by Mann in Korea. The Mann part number is W811/80

Auto 7 also sells reboxed OEM parts for Korean cars like Hyundai and Kia. The Premium Guard Extended Life that Rock Auto also has looks good too, with the silicone ADBV and P-gasket at a good price. It also specifically says OE design for 2008+ Hyundai/Kia. But at least during the warranty, I'd stick to OEM, Mann, or Auto 7
smile.gif

The synthetic oils you have in your stash are all high quality products that should do well for your planned OCI schedule. Try to wind out the engine a few times a month. Regular Italian tuneups should help a little
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Okapi77

Seems like there are better filters for this car than the factory filters. What filter would you use?

The Factory Hyundai/Kia filters are TOP-NOTCH

Maybe try a Fram Ultra... but the factory filters are excellent.

I have a 2011 Kia Optima that is known to have fuel dilation issues with both the turbo and 2.4 engines. When I first got the car I smelled gas in the oil when I did an oil change so in 2012 I installed a catch can. I now change my oil every 10000 km (7500 miles) with synthetic. In the winter I empty the can every 5000 km and in the summer it will go a full oil change, 10000 km before it needs to be emptied. If your Elantra has the same fuel dilation issues as my Optima, a catch can may help you as well. Does the Elantra have a DI engine?

Last edited:
Based on what you've written about the Elantra, your driving style doesn't appear to be severe. Therefore syn OCIS @3750 mile would be wasteful on that car.

I'm going to use syn oil on my Elantra but follow 1 yr/7500 mile OCIs like the manual says. I'm definitely going to use an OEM filter, though, since these cars seem to be sensitive about that.

If they were my cars, I would use OEM filters. Use PYB 5W-20 3000 mile OCI for the Soul and PYB 5W-20 5000 mile OCI for the Elantra.
Keeps everything simple, within warranty and hits cost minimizing goal.
My 2 cents.

Thanks everyone!

Know that my oil choices are a bit of overkill in the Hyundai. I do worry about the Soul more since it is GDI. I would love to take it out more but my wife LOVES that little car and just about refuses to drive anything else. I had to schedule her car for a recall while she was at work so I could pick it up, have the work done, and return it before she had to go home. My last car was a 2016 Corolla. She drove it a grand total of 1 mile in 2 years.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Fram TG on everything possible.

Yes 99% plus efficiency and $2 and change cheaper than a Ultra with more than enough range to cover those cars under warranty.

Kia/Hyundai filters while under warranty, using factory OCIs, with whatever spec oil they call for. I like thicker grade synthetics in turbos, but that's just me. I wouldn't want to give them an out in case of engine problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
I remember reading something about these engines needing OE filters, I would use OE only.

+1. Thought that this helps with warranty process if invoked

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Trav
I remember reading something about these engines needing OE filters, I would use OE only.

+1. Thought that this helps with warranty process if invoked

Not just for warranty but I feel the wear patterns during a break-in process of up to 20k miles should be the same and uniform for baseline and then you try to build on a baseline to get the best performing as far as hp (adding thru efficiency gains, whether it be better flowing filter or slicker oil) and for protection that is inherent to the oil as well.

To illustrate, I've used nothing but stock honda filters for 2 changes and am at 11.xxx miles and 90% on minder so not close to a change right now. Also using Honda 0w-20 full syn oil that the dealer lists at 2.71 so take your pick if it truly full or just half or semi.

Last edited:
+1 on OEM filters, order bulk form Amazon. stick with the oil grade specked in the owners manual. You can choose to use severe service schedule if that's the type driving you do.

As far as one flighty person to another, I'd use OEM filters. I'd run 3k on the Soul and 5k on the Elantra. I would use a synthetic in whatever weight the factory recommends. This way I am assured I have gone way overboard to the point of being "wasteful" but I know I would sleep like a baby at night.

Came here planning to ask the same question for my vehicles, got my answer. In my case I don't do my own oil changes, so I am stuck between the dealer who puts in Shell Conventional w/OEM filter, vs NTB who uses Valvoline Synthetic with a WIX filter.

Right now I am sticking to the "severe" service at 3,750, which is kind of a pain. My $tealer$hip acts like 3,750 is required because we are in New England. I would really like to do oil + rotation on a nice even 5,000 for simplicity's sake. I don't trust the GDI in my Sonata to go 7,500 between oil changes.

5w30 PP or VFS for turbo (A5/B5)
5w20 SM/GF-4 for non-turbo is all that's needed, and we know everything now is SN/GF-5 (soon to be SN PLUS).

Oil Filters: OEM, Fram XG, STP XL, NapaGold, Mobil1

Edit: My error, I thought your Soul was a 1.6T.

Originally Posted By: wemay
5w30 PP or VFS for turbo (A5/B5)
5w20 SM/GF-4 for non-turbo is all that's needed, and we know everything now is SN/GF-5 (soon to be SN PLUS).

Oil Filters: OEM, Fram XG, STP XL, NapaGold, Mobil1

What do you think of NAPA ProSelect compared to Hyundai OEM?

Back