Finally got Linux Mint Downloaded

Status
Not open for further replies.
After two days of Youtube videos and Google searches, along with a lot of failed attempts, I finally got Linux Mint to load from a USB drive. I was able to navigate around the program pretty easily. It was a lot quicker than the Windows on my computer. I really like it.

What I'd like to know is if it is safe to install and run on the same computer with Windows. I've seen videos and articles saying it's possible to do but I'm not computer literate enough to know for sure. Are there any conflicts? My ultimate goal is to get rid of Windows permanantly but don't want to just delete it without loading Mint and doing the simple tasks that I use the computer for, mainly web surfing, banking, bill paying etc...

I've been following the thread started by another member who was having trouble with Mint but some of the posts are well above my pay grade. For those who use Mint, do you have any problems or regrets? Thanks.

Been using Mint since 2007, started alongside Windows but since 2011 have pretty much been Windows free on my personal computers (still must used it at work, not my choice). The installer is very straightforward. Just follow the instructions to install Linux Mint besides Windows.

As long as Windows is on there already it is easy. Just choose to install Mint and leave Windows there. After installed when you boot it will give you a few seconds to scroll down if you want to load Windows. Otherwise, Mint will be the default browser (at least from my experience).

I did the dual boot thing for a while then just gave up on Windows and paved over it. I have a few Windows machines with Office for those times I need Windows and Office.

Yeah, that other thread was way above my pay grade. Someone needs to hold my hand and lead the way with technical stuff.

When you install Linux does it automatically detect your hardware and install all necessary drivers for mouse, GPU, wifi etc. or do you need to install them afterwards manually?

Originally Posted By: Finn
When you install Linux does it automatically detect your hardware and install all necessary drivers for mouse, GPU, wifi etc. or do you need to install them afterwards manually?

It usually does a pretty good job installing drivers needed to run properly, but it depends. I've had to install printer drivers, and on one or two PC's I had to install an NVDA driver for the graphics card which can sometimes be tricky. But there are a lot of knowledgeable people on message boards that can usually help if there's a problem.

Originally Posted By: Finn

I have a mouse for my laptop that needs a little plug in thing in a USB port. It worked flawlessly in Mint. It detected my WiFi and after inputting my modem password it worked great. Sorry, no idea what a GPU is. I think I'm gonna go ahead and try to install it on my computer. There are some Youtube videos that I hope can help, as long as they don't speak some alien tech language, and of course BITOG. I'm cautiously optimistic I can get this done.

When the time is right, after hopefully loading Mint on my computer and feeling confident it will do the simple tasks I need the computer for, how would I go about removing Windows without messing up Mint? I haven't done any searches on this topic yet.

I usually plug in my lan when installing and click on box to install 3rd party drivers when installing. I also click on download updates when installing. All of my Thinkpads with on board graphics work flawlessly right after install.

After install and reboot there will be a series of updates. But by comparisons to Windows it takes minutes instead many hours.
grin.gif

Then just configure Firefox when online. My first thing is to go to Add-ons and turn on Ad Blocker then enjoy.

I found a tutorial of removing Linux and leaving Windows which worked. It looks like you can to the reverse but have never tried it.

Keep Linux and Remove Windows

First, in Windows back up any important data then use the Windows disk tools to shrink your Windows partition to have some unused space on the disk for your Linux partition. At a minimum you should have about 32 GB.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
What I'd like to know is if it is safe to install and run on the same computer with Windows.

Dual booting is possible *if* Linux is installed after Windows, which you would be doing. Installing Windows last will wipe out the information on your boot disk about any other OS's.

If you successfully set up a dual boot, you will choose which OS to boot into seconds after you power up your computer; and you would have to reboot in order to switch from one to another.

I've been following the thread started by another member who was having trouble with Mint
That must be me!!! LOL

Originally Posted By: daves66nova

I've been following the thread started by another member who was having trouble with Mint
That must be me!!! LOL

Yep. You're the one Dave. How is your Mint experience after all the Bitog help? And what is a GPU? Also, is there ever a need to defrag/optimize Linux Mint? Thanks.

Last edited:

That must be me!!! LOL

Yep. You're the one Dave. How is your Mint experience after all the Bitog help? And what is a GPU? Also, is there ever a need to defrag/optimize Linux Mint? Thanks.
So far I ended up using the original hdd ,going into gparted, deleting everything there, then clicking the install Linux icon. It was finall loading when I left home for a while.

Can someone please tell me how to create a partition in Windows 8.1 so I can install Linux Mint? Appreciate the help.

First of all, if you have windows on your machine, you can't create one since windows occupies the entire disk; I believe many Linux installers will shrink the Windows partition as part of the install; see uc50's post.

That being said i HIGHLY suggest trying to install Linux next to your windows install is NOT the way to go for a new user. You have to choose wisely during EVERY step of the process and not doing so can wipe out or make your computer unbootable. The web is littered with people complaining about Linux messing up their machines when in fact people didn't understand the choices offered during the install.

If you have an extra drive, swap out the windows drive and do a bare bones install on the clean drive. I'm not trying to scare you, i'm indicating setting up a risk free environment is highly recommended. Bomb defusers don't learn on live stuff. jmo

That must be me!!! LOL

No defrag, just use it. Unlike Windows. That is one reason I like Mint. Less work and more play.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Can someone please tell me how to create a partition in Windows 8.1 so I can install Linux Mint? Appreciate the help.

First of all, if you have windows on your machine, you can't create one since windows occupies the entire disk; I believe many Linux installers will shrink the Windows partition as part of the install; see uc50's post.

That being said i HIGHLY suggest trying to install Linux next to your windows install is NOT the way to go for a new user. You have to choose wisely during EVERY step of the process and not doing so can wipe out or make your computer unbootable. The web is littered with people complaining about Linux messing up their machines when in fact people didn't understand the choices offered during the install.

If you have an extra drive, swap out the windows drive and do a bare bones install on the clean drive. I'm not trying to scare you, i'm indicating setting up a risk free environment is highly recommended. Bomb defusers don't learn on live stuff. jmo

Well said. I had an 8.1 to test for family member since they still use Windows. I installed Mint dual boot just because at that time Windows 8.1 seemed that bad. Eventually, lost my ability to boot into Windows.

I prefer to keep Linux separate from Windows to try different distros or to put a newer version on my computer. If I do mess up something 30 minutes later I can have a fresh install after saving needed files.

My apologies. I said partition. I just need to get to the area where I can "shrink" the C: drive in order to create the space for Mint. And dual boot is my goal for right now.

Use the Windows disk utility to do that. It is built into Windows somewhere. Do not trust Linux or other third party programs to resize the Windows filesystem.

Once you have some empty (unallocated) space on the drive, shut down Windows and install Linux. The Linux installer will set up a new partition there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back