Will we see -0w oils in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went from 10w to 5w to 0w over time. Do you think we will see something like a - 5w oil in the future or are we maxed out?

35.gif
This should be interesting.

I've asked this question before and got total confusion for an answer.

There has been a value put on 0 that is not 0. Logically anything less than that would be negative. You could have 0w0 would technically have a viscosity thus meaning it truely isn't 0.

The answer most commonly used is:

"there is NO 'negative' SAE 0W grade number available by the SAE, per the SAE"

Therefore, if the SAE says it doesn't exist... then there will never be an oil labeled as such.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

There has been a value put on 0 that is not 0. Logically anything less than that would be negative. You could have 0w0 would technically have a viscosity thus meaning it truely isn't 0.

? Does going outside when it is 0C or 0F mean there is no temperature?

No one ever indicated a 0W oil has no viscosity although many seem to infer that.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

No one ever indicated a 0W oil has no viscosity although many seem to infer that.

0°F or C is a unit of measurement

SAE grades are a not a unit of measurement; they define a specification and ranges.

This page defines it fairly well: http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

Climate change will make this a question of only academic interest...going to be 50-60 degrees in Northern New England in mid-February this week!
;^)

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

well said

Originally Posted By: ZZman
We went from 10w to 5w to 0w over time. Do you think we will see something like a - 5w oil in the future or are we maxed out?

What we will see within the next 10 years is permanent oil,.... no need to change it.

No I'm staying with 5w or 10w-30 I don't see any of the new cars offering anything I need that my Corolla is providing me now. I figure its got an easy 150K left in it.

The 0w-xx performance designation has no floor, only a ceiling for viscosity. Ergo, an oil could massively eclipse the CCS and MRV requirements and it would still handily fit under the 0w-xx designation.

As a practical point, given that the test temperature for MRV is -40C, a temperature not observed in most populous areas, pursuing a performance metric that divides the 0W-xx designation into a category lower at -45C wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
What we will see within the next 10 years is permanent oil,.... no need to change it.

Don't they already claim to have it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The 0w-xx performance designation has no floor, only a ceiling for viscosity. Ergo, an oil could massively eclipse the CCS and MRV requirements and it would still handily fit under the 0w-xx designation.

As a practical point, given that the test temperature for MRV is -40C, a temperature not observed in most populous areas, pursuing a performance metric that divides the 0W-xx designation into a category lower at -45C wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Yep, this. Also, in colder areas that do see close to those temps have block heaters and other ways of keeping the oil at a temp that it will flow. No need for thinner.

Yah in the grip of another NE winter. Got 3" last night. Pretty much gone already. Must be the snow tire and wheel combo, I put on Marina's SE
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Warstud
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Don't they already claim to have it?

In some lawnmower engines I believe. You just add oil as it burns or loses it. Yeah, that's good for longevity of mower engine for those of us that actually care for what we own
33.gif
. I guess I'm old fashion and try to care for what I own to get the max usable life from it.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back