Blockers like Adblock Plus and UBlock Origin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple_Se7en

$50 Site Donor 2024
How do we remove all traces of these, when uninstalling them?
I've noticed that when I uninstall them, the next time I do re-install them, it remembers all the ads I blocked from years ago. But in doing a Windows search at the time of the uninstall, I cannot find any leftover files from years ago.

So how does (Adblock Plus) keep remembering what I blocked two years ago, after having the product uninstalled for those two years?
Where are these files hidden on my computer? I even checked all my Firefox files for traces..... none found.

Last edited:
They probably have your IP address or some other unique way of tracking you and save it on their system. I've done fresh installs of Win 10 on new computers and new HDDs, then installed the Ad-blockers and had the same observations you did.

Machine identification codes.

Changing hard drive can change the machine code. Had to call Microsoft more than one time after changing hard drive to allow a windows installation. Also, software can use the machine code ID too, and after doing major changes to a machine your software will not activate.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
So how does (Adblock Plus) keep remembering what I blocked two years ago, after having the product uninstalled for those two years?

I'll throw this in the ring, too (having not used ABP in years): Would you be getting logged into a ABP account automatically with Google, Facebook or other 3rd-party credentials?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
How do we remove all traces of these, when uninstalling them?
I've noticed that when I uninstall them, the next time I do re-install them, it remembers all the ads I blocked from years ago. But in doing a Windows search at the time of the uninstall, I cannot find any leftover files from years ago.

Where are these files hidden on my computer? I even checked all my Firefox files for traces..... none found.

The files are local someplace on your computer.
Most all programs leave a datafile behind and access them if you reinstall the program.

I use AD Block plus on my non Opera Browsers and the built in Opera ad block.
Ad Block plus is a fantastic ad blocker.

Here's why I'm interested......
I wanted to help this website by disabling my Adblock Plus or UBlock Origin at this website. When I did disable, I still did not see any ads. So I uninstalled and reinstalled the ad blockers, one at a time.

Right now, after uninstallation and reinstallation, I see no ads on the Forums Topic webpage. But I do keep seeing the same Pennzoil ad over & over again, no matter what topic or page I click-on, that's outside of the Forums Topic Of Discussion webpage.

Doesn't this website have other ads? Or is Pennzoil _"Get Ready For Race Day" the only ad at this website?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back