Can you pour oil too fast into an engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you put oil to fast into an engine? To the point where the oil is still draining down into the sump and you end up running low on oil once you start it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one of those big red funnels at auto zone that hold like a gallon of oil. I can literally just pour it through and it goes straight through with no backing up. So I can literally dump 3 gallons into my truck as fast as it will pour out of the jugs.

As long as you know the amount you need to put in, what would be the problem? I don't understand why you would ask this.

Yes. You'll know you've poured it in too fast when it runs out the funnel or the hole in the valve cover. Otherwise, no.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The questions on BITOG these days...
33.gif

I reworded the question

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
Yes. You'll know you've poured it in too fast when it runs out the funnel or the hole in the valve cover. Otherwise, no.
laugh.gif

You beat me to it.
grin2.gif

I pour my oil into one of those tall, long funnels and when oil reaches the top of the funnel, I better be holding on to that funnel tightly, or it will tip over.

This thread reminds of removing a very hot oil filter during an oil change. Some get so scorching hot when unscrewing it -- that unless I wear gloves, I will drop that real hot filter in mid air - see it land in my already full oil bucket, then watch it splash oil all over my driveway and me.

Last edited:
I've poured it too fast into an engine with the half closed oil filler area and it's backed up and spilled out into the bay. Felt like a moron.

Depends on the size of the drain-back holes in the cylinder head. Big openings and you can't pour fast enough. Small holes or blocked ones and you can't pour slow enough ...

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Can you put oil to fast into an engine? To the point where the oil is still draining down into the sump and you end up running low on oil once you start it?

No, not really.

You just answered your own question......????

I bought one of those big red funnels at auto zone that hold like a gallon of oil. I can literally just pour it through and it goes straight through with no backing up. So I can literally dump 3 gallons into my truck as fast as it will pour out of the jugs.

No, because by the time the 4th qt is emptied, the first 2 quarts have already made it to the sump.

^ For the love of........! Is there anything so trivial for you not to pose a question about?

Depends how fast you can pour, reinstall oil cap shut hood, get in car and start it...lol...before even the time you put the oil cap in place without even tightening it, it will be in the sump.

I did an oil change last thursday and poured the oil in really fast but i started it about 4 or 5 minutes later so it was fine, and it was 15W-40 so not exactly the thinnest most free flowing oil around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back