Gumout Multi System Tune Up + Seafoam usage Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone. So I have a beater 1999 Accord that I got for free (and sort of don't care about) but I also got these two products for free. Since it has 191k miles right now, I'd like to experiment. I have a container of Seafoam and Gumout Multi System Tune Up and I'm wondering how I should use them. Gumout Multi System Tune Up seems to have similar ingredients to engine flush formulas (cause it has Naptha or something like that in it), as well as PEA. Seafoam seems to be something else. To be honest, I'm not really familiar with these terms and chemistry and I'm just going off some light reading I've done here on these forums. I was thinking of doing the following at the end of this OCI:

1) Gumout Multi System Tune Up in the Oil - Put it all in the oil, run the car for 15 minutes (as on bottle) then drain the oil.
2) Seafoam in the gas tank

Or do you guys think I should switch it up and do Seafoam in the crank case oil (I hear people drive on this for 100 miles or so before changing the oil) and Gumout Multi System Tune Up in the gas tank? Also, if I were to go with the "engine flush" route, would I pour it in when the engine is dead cold, or mildly warm, or right after the oil was at operating temperature? Thanks for the advice!

It depends on which system you want to clean--fuel induction and combustion chamber (put it in the fuel), or lubrication system (put it in the oil for whatever time is specified). There are some videos that seem to show that the Gumout cleaner does a decent job of taking some carbon off of piston crowns when used in the fuel, but each to his own variety of "snake oil".

Well I mean, I want to do both systems, but I wonder which one is better suited to whichever purpose. You know? I got them for free so I'm not really too worried if they're truly effective, but I figure I want to try based on theories/guesses.

My lubrication systems seem to be clean ehough in most of my cars that additional solvents don't seem to do much, but the Gumout, run through a couple of tanks of my pickup truck's ('95 Dakota, 3.9 liter V-6, 220K miles) fuel system, seems to have eliminated some pinging that I was getting in 4th and 5th gears, so without any borescope evidence, I'm guessing that it did some de-carboning of the pistons.

Last edited:
Gumout Multi System Tune Up is really deigned for fuel use, not oil.

Seafoam is just alcohol and mineral oil. I refuse to pay so much $$$ to support that company.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Gumout Multi System Tune Up is really deigned for fuel use, not oil.

Seafoam is just alcohol and mineral oil. I refuse to pay so much $$$ to support that company.

Well, this settles it. I'll use GMSTU on fuel and seafoam for the crank case. Not sure if I'll do the "few hundred miles" method or just use it as an engine flush.

Honda recommends against the use of oil additives. I'd use the Seafoam only if you're desperate or if you have a known engine sludge problem. My take is that both products are well suited for the fuel system.

The Gumout stuff is an excellent fuel system cleaner and has a pretty high amount of PEA from what I hear. I've used it in my OPE and vehicles with decent success. Its my new go-to versus high dollar SeaFoam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back