Generator is gonna sit for a year: which oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I use my pair of Honda eu2000i generators for a few weeks each year powering my RV. I usually put about 100 hours on them during that time. I change the oil before and after I use them, and usually once in the middle. Then they go into storage until the next year. Given that pattern, does it matter whether or not the oil is synthetic? Does dino oil deteriorate in storage more than synthetic?

You'll be fine under any scenario. Pay attention to the fuel system if anything.

Even used oil under any reasonable use or abuse has enough TBN to prevent off-season corrosion.

oil is not important in this case (so long as there's some oil in the crankcase so that you don't start your genny dry).
Most importantly, drain your carb bowl dry and if possible, drain the fuel tank also.

Q.

The oil will not deteriorate while in storage for a year. I run my generator once a year for 15 minutes to make sure all is well. I last changed it three years ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quest
oil is not important in this case (so long as there's some oil in the crankcase so that you don't start your genny dry).
Most importantly, drain your carb bowl dry and if possible, drain the fuel tank also.

Q.

This^

I would also recommend to run some SeaFoam through the gas first and let it run for 10 minutes or so. Drain the gas and put it in your vehicle.
I would also recommend either fogging the engine around the 10 minute mark or at least pull the spark plug and give it a couple squirts in there, then pull it over a few times to spread it around.

You put 100 hours per year and change oil midway? Is that consistent with the owner's manual?

After the first cold start, generators have a pretty consistent operation for a decent long time.

I'd look into the delo 15w-30 and the various 10w-30 HDEOs myself. Amsoil ACD is another good option IMO.

But I think once a year with that use is fine... I agree that fuel system care is much more important.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
The oil will not deteriorate while in storage for a year. I run my generator once a year for 15 minutes to make sure all is well. I last changed it three years ago.

^^ This ^^

I run cheap 15W-40 in one of mine, and Mobil 1 10W-40 in my EU2000 (just because it was one clearance, and for no other reason)

We have a Honda EU3000iS at work.
It sat in storage for 4 years with Mobil 1 10W-30.
Has had no issues .
Currently running Rotella T6 5W-40.
I'd worry more about the fuel, we treat ours with mechanic in a bottle.

Last edited:
I overdo the maintenance on my Hondas, because I enjoy babying them, and appreciate their quality. I have the pre-storage fuel system maintenance routine wired, too. I always overthink the oil topic (which qualifies me to participate in BITOG) and like to change the oil as a hobby since it takes less than half a quart. I am currently running M1 10w30, but I’m considering trying some 30 weight HD dino oil to see if they run differently (and we’re in warm weather.)

I appreciate the input.

Roy

Upon further review.........I’m interested in trying Amsoil ACD 15w40. I could change the oil every day with a 1-gallon jug!
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HighwayRanger
Upon further review.........I’m interested in trying Amsoil ACD 15w40. I could change the oil every day with a 1-gallon jug!
cool.gif

ACD is a SAE30/10w30 heavy duty engine oil (typical diesel use) and does work well in small engines.
Amsoil also makes a line of specialty small engine oil in 10w30(ASE) and 10w40(ASF) They are both available in quarts, gallons or 5 gallon pails.

Honda recommends an oil change every 100 hours on an Eu2000i, and a good quality synthetic like Amsoil will handle that easily.
The Eu2000i calls for 10w30 according to the online manual from Honda, so the Amsoil 10w30 ASE would fit your needs well.

in the old days. the guys with a race car. would put some hoter heat range plugs in. then put the RPM up a few 100 and pour oil in and flood it till it dies. but cant remember what they do when they fire it up in the spring. of course now days i would use Marvel Mystery Oil. i have by accident run 3-4 times of MMO than i should. and no bad side effects.

One more question: I run Rotella T6 5w40 in my Duramax. Any objection to me using it in the generators too?

Roy

I have one eu2000i that I put 20-30 hours on in the Fall. I generally change to 10w30 synthetic in the spring [May] and change to 5-30w synthetic in the late fall, like November/early December. No real changes in between because not enough hours accumulate. I'm using Quaker State UD full synthetic 5 or 10w30.

So, I decided to run (since I use it in my truck also) Rotella T6 5w40 in my Honda eu2000i generators. It is a well regarded, heavy duty diesel full synthetic that should handle a broad spectrum of operating temperatures.

Thanks for all the input as usual!

Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back