Let’s talk major kitchen appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The house i am buying has a newer French door Samsung fridge in stainless steel and that is staying. The dishwasher, stove, microwave are i believe original and are older and white in color. I’d like to buy a new dishwasher, stove, and microwave. I am not brand loyal, i don’t care where it’s made. I am looking for the best bang for the buck and something that will last. Lowe’s wanted to sell me all Samsung appliances so it matches the fridge but i just don’t know how reliable Samsung is. I have heard LG is good but agian that’s just rumors i have heard.

Help!
Thanks

I recall doing a lot of research on appliances when we redid our kitchen a few years ago.

Samsung dishwashers were rated very poorly.

That said, there's something to be said about matching handles and colors for consistency.

You might consider a Samsung range and a Bosch dishwasher. Bosch has some with a pocket handle so it doesn't look abnormal in terms of handle match.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Run, Forest! Run!

Seriously, just last year we bought a top of the line Samsung DW because it matched all our old Profile stuff (black). No name on the front, etc., made my wife smile a bit.

Absolutely the WORST DW I have ever owned, truly poor performance. Had all kinds of electronic glitches and Samsung expects you to do the diagnosis over the phone for them.

No to Samsung. Great TV's and a fine phone, but that's it...

I really had a feeling that Samsung was junk lol. The sales woman was telling me that Samsung and Bosch dishwasher are pretty much the same. I knew she was not educated at all about what she was selling after that comment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Run, Forest! Run!

Seriously, just last year we bought a top of the line Samsung DW because it matched all our old Profile stuff (black). No name on the front, etc., made my wife smile a bit.

Absolutely the WORST DW I have ever owned, truly poor performance. Had all kinds of electronic glitches and Samsung expects you to do the diagnosis over the phone for them.

No to Samsung. Great TV's and a fine phone, but that's it...

That said, I'm not sure ranges were rated bad, and the refrigerators seem to be all the rage at the box stores (plus OP owns one). I'd personally give the range a shot... assuming it matches.

I would avoid Samsung appliances. Everyone that I know that has them experiences more consistent problems than other brands like Whirlpool or GE.

I bought all Whirlpool appliances about 3 years ago. Given the chance I would not purchase Whirlpool again. Lots of little minor issues so far.

Bosch dishwasher, and Whirlpool everything else here. I'm happy.
Samsung makes products that folks buy on appearance, not performance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
What’s the general feeling for LG appliances?

They,LG,seem to have improved over the last few years. My experience with Samsung has like wise gone down over the past few years including their electronics. I have/had a house full of Samsung which were well above average then I got some of their newer stuff and for the most part it was junk and the customer service had gone the way of the Dodo bird.
YMMV

Smoky

I have talked to three repairman in the last year. All agree that new appliances are junk, regardless of manufacturer.
I asked all three what brand that they would recommend, and all agreed Whirlpool. This recommendation was not based on quality necessarily, but was based on availability of parts and ease of repair.
I generally have had the best luck staying with the Whirlpool brands, even though I bought a new Whirlpool freezer that within warranty required a new door switch, a new control panel, and a new door.
The freezer works better than the Bosch dishwasher purchased in the same year, which has required two service calls and a new control panel.

My wife and I had a house built last year and we got all our appliances through AJ Madison online. Didin't like the small selection from the big box stores
and the we gotta make our boat payment type prices at the small independent appliance stores.

I will say GE is the only appliance manufacture that has company employees for servicing appliances. But some poeple
politicize the brand.

Every appliance manufacture is junk if this thread gets enough post.
The simpler cheap appliances like Amana or mid priced Maytag are going to be more reliable.

I've always had good luck with Fridgeaire. Our last side-x-side fridge had two small issues while we owned it. I was able to use youtube and eBay to get it fixed with relative ease. Parts were plentiful and reasonable in price. We remodeled last year and the wife picked out Whirlpool. They've been problem free so far.

Our 16-year-old washer and dryer are also Frigidaires, and they just keep juggin' on.

My family has not had good luck with S Korean appliances …

I have had a perfect run with decade old Kenmore Elite ~ six appliances …

Looking at refrigerators here, and the comments section at Best Buy was revealing: between the Samsung and LG refrigerators the LG got the best reviews, hardly any negatives,while the Samsung was nearly all negative reviews. I always thought that Samsung and LG were cousins like Hyundai and Kia cars but apparently no.
FWIW I just bought a whirlpool gold series electric cooktop and I love it. It’s coming on a half year old, getting used nearly every day without fault..
A friend of mine has the Frigidaire Gallery refrigerator and the ice maker has NEVER worked for more than a couple of days. Avoid it if possible.

Bosch series 300 or 500 dishwasher
GE or Frigidaire range with coil type cooktop.
Microwave: keep it, you’ll end up replacing them on a regular basis.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
The house i am buying has a newer French door Samsung fridge in stainless steel and that is staying. The dishwasher, stove, microwave are i believe original and are older and white in color. I’d like to buy a new dishwasher, stove, and microwave. I am not brand loyal, i don’t care where it’s made. I am looking for the best bang for the buck and something that will last. Lowe’s wanted to sell me all Samsung appliances so it matches the fridge but i just don’t know how reliable Samsung is. I have heard LG is good but agian that’s just rumors i have heard.

Help!
Thanks

Samsung come in at #2 currently for french door fridges according to JD power- they usually go back and forth with LG. When I bought it 7 years ago it was JD power rated # 1.

http://www.jdpower.com/ratings/study/Kitchen-Appliance-Satisfaction-Study%3A-Refrigerator/2670ENG/French-Door/1286

Im happy with mine - I wanted a liebherr but coudlnt find one in the US that is counter depth sized and I wasnt about to redo my kitchen because I needed a new fridge.

UD

Last edited:
Maytag, Whirlpool, KitchenAid, on and on. It’s all the same. Made by the same company. Junk.

Truthfully I don’t know which brand is reliable anymore unless you spend bigger money for Miele or similar brands which are out of reach for most.

Recently in this forum there have been quite a few complaints about dishwashers and other major appliances made by Samsung, Electrolux, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, Kitchenaid and Maytag. It seems like finding quality and durability anymore is a [censored] shoot. I've always had good results with Whirlpool, but likely will avoid it until the reviews improve. Many people claim satisfaction with Bosch dishwashers.

Major appliances are not supposed to be disposable after 3-5 years, but some members here have been doing that. Do your research and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back