GM oil drain plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I used to change the gasket every time and they still leaked; that's with the no-name China gasket from NAPA. I noticed they offered an alternate part number in the FEL-PRO brand. No more leaks and I don't have to change it every time.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
I used to change the gasket every time and they still leaked; that's with the no-name China gasket from NAPA. I noticed they offered an alternate part number in the FEL-PRO brand. No more leaks and I don't have to change it every time.

Ya know, I had the same oil dripping issue when I changed to a plastic/nylon gasket on the oil pan drain plug at every OCI. So, I stopped doing it. Hmmm, go figure!
When I leave the OE metal drain plug gasket in place on the drain plug, it'll last for 15 years without a single drip. Hmmm, go figure!
smirk.gif

Last edited:
There are quite a few uses in the original but every 3-4 times I would change it. OE plugs and sealing rings are best for these so get one from the dealer.

If this is the same plug as what's on my truck, I've always had issues with these.

I have drippage after a new gasket and torqued to spec. Dorman makes replacement gaskets, but I am not sure about them. Fel Pro and AC Delco have them too.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

When I leave the OE metal drain plug gasket in place on the drain plug, it'll last for 15 years without a single drip.

That has been my experience as well

Same here. I don't ever recall changing the factory drain plug gasket on anything I have ever owned? Numerous dirt bikes, atvs, boats, vehicles, you name it. Always found it odd when I read about these new gaskets and the recommendation to change them out.

We've read this thread before.

1) Isn't the GM "metal gasket" actually a metal based washer with neoprene added to it? Those ARE good gaskets but they do wear out.

2) Used tons of copper gaskets. No problem except when you use (for example) a 15mm where a 14mm is called for.
Also, I think the copper prompts some people to overtighten.

3) The aluminum ones are great as you can feel 'em "crush" (deform) as you tighten.

4) WHAT'S WITH those cheap pale blue, hard plastic ones which often come with replacement drain plugs? Completely wrong.
Same goes for the translucent white nylon ones.

Changing them is insurance, they usually hold up for multiple uses but when one does leak its a bit of a PITA. The hacks either wrench them tighter or leave it. You can use a shop vac but that's another story.
I hate the nylon ones.

Originally Posted By: Trav
There are quite a few uses in the original but every 3-4 times I would change it. OE plugs and sealing rings are best for these so get one from the dealer.

+1.

The one on my 98 chevy truck started to weep after like 12+ years...

Feel-pro never worked the same. OE is best.

When I leave the OE metal drain plug gasket in place on the drain plug, it'll last for 15 years without a single drip. Hmmm, go figure!
smirk.gif

Same here.

My OE gasket isn't metal, but I never change the gasket EVER unless it needs it.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

smirk.gif

Same here.

My OE gasket isn't metal, but I never change the gasket EVER unless it needs it.

Exactly! I've gotten rid of the cars before I've changed the gasket. And I've kept vehicles for as long as 18 yrs. Even the Firebird FORMULA in my signature still has the OE metal gasket after 38 yrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back