another example of societal norms ignored

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/02/15...iral-video.html
If this were an adult, would the aircrew not have refused takeoff until the adult deplaned? Or, if the tantrum didn't start until after take-off, and this were an adult, would not that plane would have either turned around to it's origin, or put down in mid-flight plan, and the person to be arrested?

Irony - see this video where an adult female throws her own tantrum, and is removed from the plane.
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/02/16...rnment-job.html
The irony is two-fold. First, she was removed prior to flight, when the kid in the first example was not. Second, in that she was upset because an infant was crying, and she didn't want to have to listen to it. You can even hear the mom apologize and say the kid won't cry all the time ... as if crying for half the flight is acceptable?

I don't care if it's an adult, a child, a special-needs person, an emotional support peacock, or whatever ... you don't have a "right" to inflict society with your issues. If you cannot conform to the expected norm of the situation, then you don't belong there. Have the decency to recognize that your burden should not become everyone's burden.

NOTE: I am delineating the behaviors here, not "disabilities". If you need me to further explain, I will. But I'd like to think that you understand the distinction I make.

This is why we don't travel in economy for long haul and why my entire family has noise cancelling headphones.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I don't care if it's an adult, a child, a special-needs person, an emotional support peacock, or whatever ... you don't have a "right" to inflict society with your issues. If you cannot conform to the expected norm of the situation, then you don't belong there. Have the decency to recognize that your burden should not become everyone's burden.

NOTE: I am delineating the behaviors here, not "disabilities". If you need me to further explain, I will. But I'd like to think that you understand the distinction I make.

I agree 100%.

3 year olds get away with a lot of things that grown adults do not.

There is the possibility that it was the child's first flight and that it could not adequately deal with the pressure changes.

The adult woman's mistake was threatening the job of the flight attendant. We can accuse the child of a great many things, but we cannot accuse it of being a total and complete jerk like that woman was. Talk about choosing exactly the wrong words to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
We travel economy often on transpacific flights and noise cancelling headphones are a necessity. Small children cannot help crying if their ears are not clearing. This is not a issue on new aircraft like the Boeing Dreamliner though. The issue lies with parent/s who decide to take their small children and cannot handle them. Imagine having a brat kid kicking your seat back for 12-14 hours. I went through this and finally got up and stared at the kid which got him to stop for a while at least. This also applies to grown men and women who seemed to have stopped maturing around age 14 and still act like brats.

Respect for others, manners, consideration, a lot of human values are not being taught.

However I make it a point to thank anyone and commend them if their child has acted well on these long flights.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/02/15...iral-video.html
If this were an adult, would the aircrew not have refused takeoff until the adult deplaned? Or, if the tantrum didn't start until after take-off, and this were an adult, would not that plane would have either turned around to it's origin, or put down in mid-flight plan, and the person to be arrested?

Irony - see this video where an adult female throws her own tantrum, and is removed from the plane.
http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/02/16...rnment-job.html
The irony is two-fold. First, she was removed prior to flight, when the kid in the first example was not. Second, in that she was upset because an infant was crying, and she didn't want to have to listen to it. You can even hear the mom apologize and say the kid won't cry all the time ... as if crying for half the flight is acceptable?

I echo your sentiment!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

There is the possibility that it was the child's first flight and that it could not adequately deal with the pressure changes.

Somewhat true; kids do get away with stuff. And if this were in a Chuckee-Cheese eatery, I'd not even bring it up. But this is a close-quarter flight that lasted EIGHT hours! The point is that kids should NOT be excused for acting in an inappropriate manner. And if they cannot behave adequately, they should be removed from the situation. In the absence of good parenting, the flight crew should have dealt with this before take off. And this DID START prior to take off. Which means this wasn't a "pressure" adjustment issue at all. Whatever the cause, it's not acceptable. I don't care if it's his first flight or 20th. Is he "normal" or special needs? Doesn't matter. The BEHAVIOR is unacceptable for the situation. What the mom tolerates in her own home is her business. But once she takes that kid into the alumi-tube, it becomes everyone's problem.

This was an 8 hour flight, not some puddle hop that lasts 45 minutes. His tantrum lasted on/off for HOURS.
Perhaps the kid didn't know any better, but the mom should and the flight crew did.
The mom should have offered to deplane prior to the flight; the red flags were already there for everyone to see.
The flight crew should have demanded they deplane.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; know your audience and know your surroundings. If you or someone in your charge cannot work within the societal norm of the situation, then it's YOUR responsibility to adapt by leaving, not other's obligation to endure.

Still crazy...not sure why someone would take a young child on a flight that long not prepared at least..

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

Somewhat true; kids do get away with stuff. And if this were in a Chuckee-Cheese eatery, I'd not even bring it up. But this is a close-quarter flight that lasted EIGHT hours! The point is that kids should NOT be excused for acting in an inappropriate manner. And if they cannot behave adequately, they should be removed from the situation. In the absence of good parenting, the flight crew should have dealt with this before take off. And this DID START prior to take off. Which means this wasn't a "pressure" adjustment issue at all. Whatever the cause, it's not acceptable. I don't care if it's his first flight or 20th. Is he "normal" or special needs? Doesn't matter. The BEHAVIOR is unacceptable for the situation. What the mom tolerates in her own home is her business. But once she takes that kid into the alumi-tube, it becomes everyone's problem.

This was an 8 hour flight, not some puddle hop that lasts 45 minutes. His tantrum lasted on/off for HOURS.
Perhaps the kid didn't know any better, but the mom should and the flight crew did.
The mom should have offered to deplane prior to the flight; the red flags were already there for everyone to see.
The flight crew should have demanded they deplane.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; know your audience and know your surroundings. If you or someone in your charge cannot work within the societal norm of the situation, then it's YOUR responsibility to adapt by leaving, not other's obligation to endure.

Before the flight?

1. Eject parents for failure to control the child.
2. Diplomatically eject the child as being too young to be an unaccompanied minor (since the parents were tossed).

That truly is 100% unacceptable. Shame on them for allowing this to go on.

A 3-year old can't help but be a 3-year old, but the parents duty was to control the child, or remove themselves from the plane.

"Social Norms" no longer seem to count, today it is make your own norms and let others suffer. In the past I enjoyed air travel, since 911 I have flown once...never again.
Smoky

Little kid + crying = the two most annoying things.

Makes me want to gouge my eyes out with rusty spoons.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
This is why we don't travel in economy for long haul and why my entire family has noise cancelling headphones.

Dont you get rich jerks then? I could have sworn...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Just spank that brat, problem solved.

thumbsup2.gif
Or a swift kick in the rear.

Said above, "Makes me want to gouge my eyes out with rusty spoons."

May I at least get my camera?

Seriously, annoying kids have always taken a back seat to the parents who let 'em get away with it (in terms of blame).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back