Used oil sign in sheet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do they want your name, address and amount of oil brought into the auto parts store? I thought it was to keep track of how much oil is in the tank, but the tank has a gauge.

Last edited by a moderator:
John Dough
1600 Pennsylvania Ave
Washington, DC

I never give out my real info when people ask and I deem them unimportant enough to get the real info.

Phone number? 123-456-7890 Yeah, they give me weird looks. I don't care. If i WANTED them to call me, they would be friends and family, and I would give them my real number. I don't want them calling me, mailing me, emailing me.

I think for state records to see you're not a commercial level used oil supplier using an individual consumer level service. The retail level service is somewhat subsidized by the state I think. Years ago we had to pay a seperate recycling fee when purchasing new motor oil at retail.

I usually recycle my oil at AAP. The tank is in the back and there’s never anyone back there. They have a clipboard with the info sheet hanging back there but I have never filled it out.

We have oil recycling at the city dump. No sign in, however we pay a recycling fee for new oil and filters. There is actually a fast change that will take our oil and it has a sign in.

Last edited:
Local city has a recycling center.
I recycle steel, aluminum, cardboard, and oil.
Just show your city water bill and they take it.
I dont even gotta get out of the truck.
Haha
I like to recycle

Sometimes ive taken it to Oreillys
Since its potentially hazardous to the environment
I think shops that sell oil have to take it back (in tx i think anyway)

I take mine to AutoZone. Hand my container to fellow in the front and he takes care of everything else. No questions or information asked for.

I take mine to AutoZone. Hand my container to fellow in the front and he takes care of everything else. No questions or information asked for.

Where you returning your oil?

I have never been asked at AAP or AZ, although last time at AZ they would not let me do it, they took it and dumped it, said something about they have had a lot of anti freeze dumped in their oil recently. Not sure if just that one store or all of them though. But again, never asked for my info.

The only time I was asked when I used walmart to return motor oil when I lived in NY.

The TLE guy would tell me to sign the sheet before I left any motor oil.

Down here my city runs a little recycling center a few miles from the house. I bring 5 gallon jugs of used oil, and just dump the stuff into the big recycling container, nobody asks me anything.

I usually bring mine to AZ. They never ask for any info.

AZ: "How can I help you?"
Me: "I just have some oil to dump."
AZ: "You know where the tank is?"
Me: "Yep"

I put mine at the street and my trash man picks it up and recycles it for me. Prior to that, I dropped it off at AA behind the store, no questions asked.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I give it to my indy mechanic and ask for a credit since its one less gallon of heating oil he will need. To date no credit has been given.

How much is a gallon of heating oil? Isn't heating oil just diesel fuel with no dye?

Last edited by a moderator:
Many years ago I dropped off 5 quarts of old oil in bottles at a Delaware Pep Boys. I just poured the old oil into the new plastic bottles. I was asked for my license and refused. I was told " We need your license info in case you are dumping toxic waste "

I left and never bought anything there again. Apparently, a lot of customers were annoyed because they started piling jugs of used oil against the front door after closing. They put up a video camera and a large sign saying they would prosecute anyone leaving oil after hours. The volume of oil drop offs increased and some were mine. I had other ways of disposing of oil, I just wanted to annoy them.

I used to have a temper and enjoyed hassling the RESPECT MY AUTHORITY folks. Now, my local landfill is happy to take it for free.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: Donald
I give it to my indy mechanic and ask for a credit since its one less gallon of heating oil he will need. To date no credit has been given.

How much is a gallon of heating oil? Isn't heating oil just diesel fuel with no dye?
Its mainly diesel fuel with dye.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

Phone number? 123-456-7890

Nah...867-5309
grin2.gif

I take my used motor oil & filters to O'Reilly since they accept both. They have a Safety-Kleen sign-in sheet, so I know it gets a shot at being re-refined there. The fine print at the botyom of the shhet I've filled out there says uou're certifying you're providing only used moyor oil (no anyifreeze, ATF, brake fluid, etc.) for recycling.

I take my used ATF, gear oil, PS Fluid, TC fluid to Autozone since they accept these materials. Currently they have no sign in sheet, but as little as 7 years ago they would take my personal info & enter it in their computer when dropping off used automotive fluids for recycling.

I take my used transmission filters to Firestone Complete Auto Care who recycles them for free here. No personal info from me required.

There's a permanent household hazardous waste center in my city but it's a fair way away from where I live especially compared to FLAPS. They accept (non-commingled) antifreeze, brake fluid, etc. in addition to lubricants and their filters. They hold satellite events around the city once a quarter or so. Show your local electric bill and you're eligible to use this service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back