Electronic body throttle cleaning ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

I have Bosch TB drive by wire ...

Can I push on butterfly to open it ? I have read that it can mess up TB position and throw codes ?

Does TB cleaning help with anything there is little varnish

Thx

Most of the buildup will be on the back side and edges. I have cleaned electronic throttle bodys without issue. To be safer you could take it off to clean it, you will be able to clean it better too.

Here's what I did on my Infiniti's electronic TB (notorious for causing problems after a TB cleaning):

- Turned key to ACC position
- Set parking brake and then with foot on the brake pedal, shifted car into Drive. Do this on level ground of course.
- Put a brick on the gas pedal.
- This opened up the butterfly valve naturally without me manually pushing it.
- I carefully cleaned the grime and made sure not to push the valve.

Last edited:
If you're worried about hurting it, you could always buy new.
27.gif

I cleaned the electric tb on our Nissan Quest a couple years ago.
I unplugged the electrical connector, then pushed it open with my fingers, sprayed it with some Amsoil Powerfoam, let it soak for 20 minutes, sprayed it again, hooked everything back up, and was good to go.

I have heard it is important to unplug the TB or the motor could shut the butterfly on your fingers!

Originally Posted By: cronk
I have heard it is important to unplug the TB or the motor could shut the butterfly on your fingers!

I have heard if you unplug it, it erases the memory of the basic settings. It might not start or it might idle too fast. The butterfly opens one way so just don't stick you finger in where it will damage it.

Originally Posted By: cronk
I cleaned the electric tb on our Nissan Quest a couple years ago.
I unplugged the electrical connector, then pushed it open with my fingers, sprayed it with some Amsoil Powerfoam, let it soak for 20 minutes, sprayed it again, hooked everything back up, and was good to go.

Old toothbrush is a good finger with bristles …

If you cannot get the throttle body to open with the key on and brick method how else are you going to open it? On my Gen Coupe, the TB will not open unless the engine is running. I have opened it by hand many times.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
On my Gen Coupe, the TB will not open unless the engine is running. I have opened it by hand many times.

So which is it? It will not open unless the engine is running, or, you have opened it by hand many times?

I disconnect the vehicle battery anytime I have to clean one and manually open it.
I just cleaned the t\b on my daughter's 2013 Nissan Maxima .
No issues after. Car runs better she says.

Any of the E-throttles I've fiddled with, you were able to push the throttle plate open by hand with the engine off, key out.

Main thing used to be was, don't actuate them by hand from under the hood with the engine running or ignition on. If the accelerator pedal position sensor doesn't jive with the throttle position sensor(s) on the TB itself, codes can be thrown or other associated good times *could* happen. Obviously these two sensors will not by in sync if you actuate the E-throttle from under the hood w/out mashing the go pedal.

I have no idea if the above still applies. I haven't owned a vehicle long enough in the past 10+ years to mess with throttle cleaning.

Last edited:
I know of at least one car that will set a code if the TB is moved even with the engine off, key out. Seems that the ECU stays active for a little while after the key is removed.

Disconnecting the battery is a sure way to avoid setting a code.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Any of the E-throttles I've fiddled with, you were able to push the throttle plate open by hand with the engine off, key out.

Main thing used to be was, don't actuate them by hand from under the hood with the engine running or ignition on. If the accelerator pedal position sensor doesn't jive with the throttle position sensor(s) on the TB itself, codes can be thrown or other associated good times *could* happen. Obviously these two sensors will not by in sync if you actuate the E-throttle from under the hood w/out mashing the go pedal.

I have no idea if the above still applies. I haven't owned a vehicle long enough in the past 10+ years to mess with throttle cleaning.

You might be due soon! I think our Quest had about 55 or 60k on it when I had to do a TB cleaning.
It developed a cold start issue, would start hard and sometimes not start until you applied some throttle. This was during winter.
When I cleaned the TB, you could definitely tell the throttle plate was sticking. It seemed as though the sticking was preventing the fast idle opening for a cold start.
I cleaned the TB and its been fine ever since, now about 85k.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
I disconnect the vehicle battery anytime I have to clean one and manually open it.
I just cleaned the t\b on my daughter's 2013 Nissan Maxima .
No issues after. Car runs better she says.

Did you verify the idle speed with a scan tool after the cleaning was performed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back