Which is the better oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bugize
From the list, Mobile 1...My opinion anyways

Sorry, no "e" in "Mobil".

From that page, I'd choose the Valvoline.

Maxlife but truth be told I doubt any of these will make any significant difference in longevity of your engine over another.

Originally Posted By: CaptainFreon
2011 Ford E350. 5.4L 180K miles. Does not burn oil and runs good.
Fuel economy is not important. Longevity of engine is important.
Any other suggestions outside of this special?
Oil weight?

I wouldn't run the recommend 5W-20.

Personally, I'd use a good 10W-30, 10W-40 or 5W-40 diesel oil.

Honestly, even 15W-40 is really good oil -
if it can keep modern diesels alive, your 5.4 won't be a problem.

I like a high mileage full synthetic oil for an engine with 180k miles, but if no leaks, seepage or consumption, then regular Mobil 1 5W-30 would be my choice for winter or year round for 10k mile oil changes with the filter offered. 5W-30 Valvoline high mileage is a very good oil that I am currently running in a 2005 V6 Mustang, even though it has no leaks and has low miles. One guy who tests many oils for anti-wear noted recently that the current formulation of these 2 oils have very good anti-wear capability. I have no way of knowing exactly how he tests them, but these oils impressed him using his proprietary testing methods.

According to his methods, going thicker on the oil does not necessarily improve the wear resistance. I would leave diesel oils for diesels. I also would not use 5W-20 for longest engine life in your truck. 5W-30 is already one notch heavier than the 5W-20 recommended for your engine and if you have no consumption, then I would not go heavier than 5W-30 in Indiana.

Originally Posted By: JLTD
Bugize said:
From the list, Mobile 1...My opinion anyways

Sorry, no "e" in "Mobil".

Knew that was coming.

The 5.4L mod motor does not need an HDEO. The 5.4L engines can live a LONG time on any decent oil and grade.

Being that you're in IN, I'd use a 5w-20 or 5w-30.

Pretty sure the Million Mile van, which had a 5.4L, used whatever 10w-40 he could find on clearance
21.gif

That engine isn't picky, generally. I found the lowest consumption with some of the Mobil products and ended up settling on M1 AFE 0w-30 in ours, but I'm sure it would have been fine on basically anything.

My pick in this case is Maxlife 5W-30.

There is no reason to use a heavier weight unless it has low oil pressure, oil burning, or leaks. My old truck has low oil pressure on the specified 10W-30, so that is why it gets 15W-40.

Valvoline synthetic high mileage is a great oil, and also Valvoline maxlife syn blend. I would use 5w-30, because the oil would never get hot enough to need a 40 weigh unless you are taking the van to a track day, which would be awesome. 0w-40s are excellent if you want to use synthetics and a 40 weight. But in the big scheme of things, any modern oils that meet the same specs will perform very similarly.

This was really good advice. TY.
"The act of preventative maintenance, in and of itself, is FAR MORE important than brand/grade/base choices among lubes and filters.
- under maintaining something is akin to abuse/neglect; that can kill equipment by shortening the lifespan
- over maintaining something has never been proven to be anything but a waste of time and money "

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Maxlife but truth be told I doubt any of these will make any significant difference in longevity of your engine over another.

thumbsup2.gif
Yes what ever is full synthetic and on sale should work just fine consider current rebates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back