Bought first Fram in 18 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a rack of $.59 clearance Fram Extra Guards at a nearby Tractor Supply this morning. Bought the two 10060s they had for my GM 5.3.

I used a higher end Fram last year but as memory serves, these are the first orange cans I've purchased since spring of 2000, just before I read that famous Mini Mopar filter post.

I've got quite a few Wix, Bosch and AC Delco stockpiled, so it'll be a bit before I'd ever use these. But the price seemed right.

why not there are a zillion cars running fram. You could do worse for more money.

At least with a fram, a company is going to stand behind any issues.

Me too. Put her on this morning. It didn't turn as much until it was tight enough. Thought that was weird.

I buy random "budget" oil filters all the time for when doing oil changes on low-income/single mothers cars.

A FRAM is a good filter - maybe the orange can isn't GREAT, but they are good.

For whatever reason, one TSC near me still has a lot of fram inventory. The ones I need are not priced all great mostly ph7575,ph8170,ph8172, and whatever crosses over to my kubota filter were all around $3.50. The ph8, 3614,and many of the more common filters were marked $1.99. A few were marked $.50 but I had no use for them
I did notice a very limited (maybe 8 part numbers) stock of newer looking purolators

Last edited:
Did they have 10575’s … they are slightly longer and fit the motor … new 5.3L calls for them …

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
The extra guards have improved lately too.

Yes they have. They now have a silicone ADBV. Where can you find an oil filter with a silicone ADBV for $3.77 (Wal-Mart)?
Is everyone sitting down? Here goes, get ready.......I "MIGHT" even use a FRAM OCOD now since they have added a silicone ADBV!
27.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: Matagonka
The extra guards have improved lately too.

Yes they have. They now have a silicone ADBV. Where can you find an oil filter with a silicone ADBV for $3.77 (Wal-Mart)?
Is everyone sitting down? Here goes, get ready.......I "MIGHT" even use a FRAM OCOD now since they have added a silicone ADBV!
27.gif

Weirdly, I've never had nitrile ADBV issues with Frams-unlike Puro made filters (Quaker State mostly).

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Weirdly, I've never had nitrile ADBV issues with Frams.

Must a different durometer Shore number type of rubber used.

Yep, I stocked up on a few TG's for the Tacoma for 69 cents a filter at my local TSC, can't beat that!
laugh.gif
Slowly converting everything I own back to FRAM, something I thought I'd never do pre-BITOG!

FU on the Tacoma
OCOD on the Ford 7.3 Powerstroke
FU on my Kubota diesel tractor, planning to leave it there for 2 years running full syn oil in addition is why I chose the Ultra.

FU will go on the Mustang this spring to replace the time bomb Motorcraft filter..
Then probably use OCOD's or TG's on the rest of my old Ford truck fleet when it's their turn for OC's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back