Choice of .357 SIG Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across some .357 SIG Remington UMC 125 gr. JHP ammo, but can't find any ballistic gel testing on it. Anyone know anything about this ammo? Is it re-boxed Golden Saber ammo?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
I came across some .357 SIG Remington UMC 125 gr. JHP ammo, but can't find any ballistic gel testing on it. Anyone know anything about this ammo? Is it re-boxed Golden Saber ammo?

Their .357 Magnum and 38 special Golden Saber is pretty good stuff you can see it on Utube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRe6BzIqu6U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK6KbA-HuZ8

So, it is re-boxed Golden Saber ammo?
21.gif

No I don't think the Golden Saber is reboxed as UMC.

Look at the expansion leafs on them no other bullets I know of are cut like that Sabers.

Last edited:
It would be very doubtful that the Golden Saber would be reboxed/rebranded as .357 SIG Remington UMC 125 gr. JHP ammo

Little fact; the Golden Saber projectile was designed by the same guy that designed the Black Talon

UMC is really just range ammo quality. It is the bottom barrel stuff in the Remington family. I would not trust my life to it always going off or expanding.

That being said it will test your gun to see if it hates JHP's in general.

Paul Harrell uses Remington UMC in his meat target tests, so look for his other 357 sig videos if you want to see more. Iirc even the basic jhp design on UMC will expand in 357 sig here because it's got good velocity.

I have the choice between these (2) SIG .357 rounds;
1) SIG SAUER Elite v-Crown 125 gr.
2) Winchester PDX1 125 gr.
I found a ballistics gel test on both, but nothing as well detailed on the SIG V-Crown.
Which would you choose for personal defense?

After studying pistol and rifle ballistics for awhile and their terminal effects I've come to really love the design and ballistics of the .357 Mag and .357 sig.
Anything at normal velocities within these caliber designed for social work will be good.
Both calibers have enough velocity so that even inexpensive ammunition does well.
Premium ammo will do even better and will pass more "tests", but it's the velocity that matters.

Pick an ammo that feeds.
In the bottle neck cartridge world there isn't much that does not feed.

Also, Practice practice practice.
The biggest issue with .357 sig is that ammo is cost prohibitive as buying a case of 1000 can be several times that of a case of 9mm to practice with.
You don't exactly have former communist countries cranking out .357 Sig ammo like you do 9mm.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
After studying pistol and rifle ballistics for awhile and their terminal effects I've come to really love the design and ballistics of the .357 Mag and .357 sig.
Anything at normal velocities within these caliber designed for social work will be good.
Both calibers have enough velocity so that even inexpensive ammunition does well.
Premium ammo will do even better and will pass more "tests", but it's the velocity that matters.

Pick an ammo that feeds.
In the bottle neck cartridge world there isn't much that does not feed.

Also, Practice practice practice.
The biggest issue with .357 sig is that ammo is cost prohibitive as buying a case of 1000 can be several times that of a case of 9mm to practice with.
You don't exactly have former communist countries cranking out .357 Sig ammo like you do 9mm.

I currently carry HST as my personal defense round in all of my pistols. But, I did a favor for a friend that knows I like the .357 SIG round and he offered me the choice I stated in my post. I am leaning towards the PDX1's but just wanted an opinion on both.

PDX is generally a well regarded self defense round, and it is commonly available in sporting goods stores. I use it in .45 ACP for my HD gun.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
PDX see the way the expansion cuts are made in its nose? That is a Black Talon the isn't black.

What?

I think what he is trying to say is that PDX is basically like the old "Black Talon" ammo. Except for the fact the bullets are no longer black oxide coated. The media tried to make a big racial thing out of Winchester Black Talon ammunition when it first came out. It was a bunch of nothing, but they ran with it. Winchester Ranger is more like the old Black Talon. They went to the big law enforcement star on it to emphasize it's used by "good guys".

The Sig ammo is a private label from somebody so who knows it’s track record. The Winny is well established.
Although, I suspect either load in .357 will tear someone a new [censored].

In every test I have seen V-Crown performs terribly. Between those two, I would go with PDX1.

I think that the V-Crown has a lower velocity than the Winchester. .357 Sig without the right velocity is just an overpriced 9mm! I carry PDX-1 or Hornady Critical Defense in my .357. I have a chronograph, and they tested at least 1350 FPS with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back